Looking for a knock their socks off dessert recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for a knock their socks off dessert recipe

Last post Apr 24, 2008 2:38 PM by kaly_ab . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Looking for a knock their socks off dessert recipe

I love to cook , but baking I don't care for. I am having a dinner party for six  and would like to serve them a really nice dessert. I don't mind making the desert, I just don't have to many recipes as I seldom bake. Both the couples that are coming over do love to bake and they make excellent deserts. Can you give me a few of your deserts that are a great hit with company and I will pick one out and make it for my party. Party is not until May 2 so I have lots of time. Main course is roast beef, creamed potatoes, gravy, casear salad, corn, carrots, brussel sprouts and homemase bread. The desert I always make is sex in a pan but I would like to wow them with something else.

Thanks

Sheri

False
  • Re: Looking for a knock their socks off dessert recipe
    This Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is Wonderful!!! It is also easy, and mostly low fat. http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/343983/345334.aspx#345334
    False

I made this once for some of DH's business associates who had come to supper. It was a hit and over a year later, it is still discussed. And easy! I don't remember which website I got the recipe from, sorry I can't give proper credit.

Chocolate Nachos 

½ cup unsalted butter, melted

10 flour tortillas

7/8 cup heavy cream

1 2/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

3 1/3 kiwi, peeled and diced

3 1/3 mangoes, peeled and diced

1 2/3 cups strawberries, diced

7/8 cup sweetened coconut, toasted

sweetened whipped cream, to garnish

1. Preheat oven to 400 degress.
    2. Brush both sides of tortillas with butter and cinnamon sugar.
    3. Cut tortillas into eighths.
    4. Place on baking sheet and toast about 10 minutes, or until crisp.
    5. Heat cream in microwave until steaming.
    6. Place chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl.
    7. Pour heated cream over chips and let stand 2 minutes.
    8. Stir to combine and if necessary, microwave for 20 seconds to fully melt chocolate.
    9. In a seperate bowl, combine kiwi, mango, and strawberries.
    10. Assemble the nachos by layering first the tortilla chips, followed with the fruit mixture, and then drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Top with sweetened whipped cream and toasted coconut and enjoy!

False

Here's another wonderful dessert from Candykisses.  Some of my changes are listed after her recipe.

GIANT ÉCLAIR

Serves: 12-16
    Effort: average
    Comments: This is heavenly.

Ingredients:
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup Crisco
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    2 cup milk
    2 small pkg. instant french vanilla pudding
    8 oz. cool whip
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 tablespoon butter
    milk

Instructions:
    Boil water with Crisco. Add flour, & salt all at once, beat
    Take off fire
    Add to eggs, beat til smooth
    Spread evenly in sheet cake pan (15 " x 10" x 1").
    Bake 25 min. In preheat 400 oven
    Cool.
    Beat cream cheese with milk & pudding. Beat 2 min. Put in refrigerator for 30 min. Spread on cooled pastry.
    Top with cool whip
    Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, & melted butter. Add enough milk for right consistency for drizzling

(I use butter instead of Crisco in the cream puff base, and I used cheesecake pudding instead of French Vanilla.  It is a great dessert and looks very impressive
    )

False

How about a couple of fruity ideas.  I love Bananas Foster. It is very elegant, rich and delicious.  I haven't tried this particular recipe, but it sounds great.  Also, who doesn't love chocolate covered strawberries?  You could have both possibly.  The lime tarts I've made many times and everyone has loved them as well.

Suziee 

Bananas Foster .... original recipe along with story how it came to be ... watched it on tv

Posted by: GrannyBarbieJ_Texas Replies: 0 Posted on: 4/20/2007 7:56:57 PM

#T818877

Bananas Foster

In 1951 Chef Paul created Bananas Foster. The scrumptious dessert was named for Richard Foster, who as chairman, served with Owen on the New Orleans Crime Commission, a civic effort to clean up the French Quarter. Richard Foster, owner of the Foster Awning Company, was a frequent customer of Brennan's and a very good friend of Owen.

Little did anyone realize that Bananas Foster would become an international favorite and is the most requested time on the restaurant's menu. Thirty-five thousand pounds of bananas used year each in the preparation of its world-famous dessert.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup banana liqueur

4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved

4 scoops vanilla ice cream

Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambe pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on top of the stove and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. Continue cooking until sauce is hot and bananas soften and begin to brown. Lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries with Cream Cheese Filling

Posted by: chinarose Replies: 0 Posted on: 2/12/2005 7:23:50 AM

#T475535

Pretty and Easy. Made them the other day and the ladies made little "mmmmmm" sounds while eating them - all of them:)

12 medium strawberries, rinsed

3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

2 tsp. Crisco

1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened

2 T. honey

1/4 tsp. almond extract

1 T. blanced slivered almonds, toasted

Halve the berries lengthwise; core center, leaving the greem stem. Dry on paper towel.

Melt chocolate and Crisco in the microwave and stir. (Remember how fast it will burn)

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and holding the strawberry halves by the leaves, dip in the chocolate, covering a little more than half. Do all the berries and then chill for 10 min. on the cookie sheet.

Beat together cream cheese, honey, and almond extract. Spoon in a pastry bag and pipe in a little mound into the cavity of the berries. Sprinkle with the nuts.

My note: You can just spoon a little dob onto the berry cavity instead of piping it. Also I put each of the berries into a mini foil muffin/candy liner. They all went on a glass lipped round tray lined with a white lace doily.

Key Lime Tarts

Recipe By :Cooking with Paula Deen magazine, Nov./Dec. 2005, page 80

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 cans (14 oz. each) sweetened condensed milk

4 egg yolks

1 cup fresh key lime juice

4 packages (2.1 oz.) frozen mini phyllo pastry shells, -- thawed

Whipped cream and lime zest

Preheat oven to 350º.

Stir together first 3 ingredients until blended.

Place pastry shells into mini muffin tins.

Spoon key lime filling evenly into pastry shells. Bake for 15 minutes. Chill. Top with

whipped cream and lime zest, if desired.

Yield: 60 tarts.

Posted by: MarineMom_texas Posted on: 9/21/2006 6:15:13 PM

#R8121976

I made these for a candle party my DDIL had last month and they were a huge hit. Strangely, the recipe in the magazine said they made 30 tarts but in reality they make 60. I added a dollop of Cool Whip on top and some lime zest and they were wonderful. From Paula Deen's magazine. Enjoy! MM

Suziee's notes:  I make a half recipe most of the time.  I don't like them as well later on. The shells don't stay as crisp.  I put the filling in a squirt bottle to fill the shells and it works great - and not so much mess.  I serve them with fresh whipped cream.  LOVE these!

Also, Tiramisu is one of my all time favorite recipes.  I'm sure you can get some great T&T from people here on the BB.  This one is very good.

Favorite Tiramisu 

Posted by: salsarose Replies: 3 Posted on: 2/14/2005 5:57:33 AM

#T476336

Our Favorite Tiramisu

Layers of espresso-soaked pound cake and cream cheese custard come together with chocolate. Tiramisù means "pick-me-up" in Italian-and this certainly does.

I N G R E D I E N T S

8 ounces semisweet chocolate

1 cup sugar

4 egg yolks

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

8 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces, room temperature

1 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream

1 tablespoon instant espresso powder diluted in 1 1/4 cups hot water, cooled

1 12-ounce prepared pound cake, cut into 3 1/2x1x1/2-inch strips

I N S T R U C T I O N S

Finely chop chocolate in processor. Set aside.

Mix sugar and egg yolks in processor 30 seconds. Add vanilla and process until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Add cheese in batches and blend until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.

Beat whipping cream until stiff. Fold into cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)

Pour espresso into large shallow dish. Dip cake strips in espresso, turning to coat all sides lightly. Arrange strips on bottom of 10-cup shallow dish, smoothing with fingers to mold together. Sprinkle with half of chocolate. top with chilled cheese mixture. Sprinkle remaining chocolate over. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Serves 8.

False

Cappuccino Mousse
    Yield: 4Ingredients:
    Cappuccino Mousse
    2 tsp gelatin powder
    1/2 cup coffee, chilled
    2 tbsp instant coffee powder
    2 cups condensed milk
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups whipping cream
    cocoa powder or ground cinnamon, for dusting

Directions:
    Cappuccino Mousse
    Stir instant coffee into chilled coffee to dissolve. Sprinkle gelatin into chilled coffee and let soften for a minute. Stir gelatin mixture into condensed milk in a small pot. Stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves. Stir in vanilla and cool to room temperature.
    Whip cream to soft peaks and fold into coffee mixture in 2 additions. Spoon the mousse into serving glasses (amount of servings depends on size of glasses or cups used). Chill at least 2 hours.
    Dust top of mousses with cocoa powder or cinnamon just before serving.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Cannoli
    Yield: 16Ingredients:
    Shells
    3 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 tbsp sugar
    dash salt
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, cool but not cold
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup Marsala wine
    vegetable oil, for frying
    Filling
    1 cup dry ricotta
    2/3 cup icing sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp lemon zest
    1 cup whipping cream
    5 tbsp semisweet chocolate, grated

To Assemble
    Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until evenly blended. Whisk together egg and wine and blend into flour mixture until it forms dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead to bring together. Wrap and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
    Roll out dough as thinly as possible, about 1/8–inch thick. Dock with a fork and cut into 3-inch circles. Scrap dough can be re-rolled to cut more discs. Keep discs covered when not using.

Heat oil to 350° F (it should spit when a drop of water is added). Wrap disc around cannoli tube, and press where edges overlap. Immerse in oil and fry until golden brown. Place on a paper towel or cooling rack to drain for a moment, and before completely cooled, remove tube. Repeat with remaining discs, frying a few at a time. Cool completely before filling.
    For filling, pulse ricotta with icing sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest in food processor until smooth. Whip cream to medium peak and fold into ricotta. Fold in 5 Tbsp of grated chocolate.
    To assemble, fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with cannoli filling. Pipe into shells, started at middle and working out to each end. Cannoli can be topped with a little cream for garnish.
    Yield: 16 to 18 servings.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Chai Tiramisu

Chai Spice Blend

1 cinnamon stick
    2 whole star anise
    5 green cardamom pods
    2 black peppercorns

Filling

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    1 tbsp pure vanilla
    16 oz good quality mascarpone cheese
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbsp coffee liqueur
    2 tsp Chai Spice blend

Assembly

1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1 tsp Chai Spice blend
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 packages chocolate wafer cookies
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp sugar
    cocoa powder, for dusting

Directions:

Chai Spice Blend

For spice blend, grind cinnamon stick in a spice mill (or coffee grinder used just for spices) or with a mortar and pestle. Add remaining spices and grind into a powder.

Filling

For filling, whip cream to medium peaks, stir in vanilla and chill. Beat mascarpone and cream cheese with sugar on low speed until smooth. Stir in coffee liqueur and Chai Spice blend. Fold in whipped cream and chill until ready to assemble.

Assembly

To assemble, heat sugar, water and Chai Spice blend until sugar dissolves, stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
    Dip wafer cookies in syrup briefly and line the bottom of an 8-cup trifle dish or serving dish. Spoon 1/4 of the chai filling over cookies and place another layer of soaked cookies over mousse. Repeat layering with mousse and cookies, finishing with the mousse. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
    To serve, whip cream with sugar and vanilla and dollop on top of tiramisu. Dust lightly with cocoa powder and serve.

False

Coconut Tarts with Chocolate and Coconut Cream
    Yield: 6

For the Coconut Tart Shells:

2 x egg whites
    2 cups of shredded coconut
    For the Chocolate and Coconut Cream:
    1/2 cup of coconut milk
    8 oz of bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Directions:
    For the Coconut Tart Shells:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Whisk egg whites lightly and stir in coconut.

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and press a large spoonful of coconut mixture into each cup, pushing it evenly into the bottom and up the sides.
    Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool in muffin pan.

For the Chocolate and Coconut Cream:

Heat coconut milk.
    Place chocolate into a bowl and pour hot milk over it. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture becomes satiny-smooth.

False

Sometimes a great cake is all you need.  Here are two I think are special:

With a brownie-like base, topped with thick, gooey, chewy frosting through which occasional puddles of marshmallow creme ooze, this  cake cannot be beat!  It's delectible.
    Lorraine

MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE

4  eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1-1/2 cups softed flour
    1/3 cup cocoa
    1 cup angel-flake coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 sticks (1/2 lb.) oleo, melted
    1 jar marshmallow creme
    Frosting:
       1 stick (1/4 lb.) oleo, melted
       6 Tbsp.  milk
       1/3 cup cocoa
       1 (1 lb.) box powdered sugar
       1 tsp. vanilla
       1 cup broken pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.  Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick.  In another bowl, sift together flour and cocoa; mix well with coconut and pecans.  Mix this with melted oleo, then add to sugar mixture.  Mix well.  Pour into prepared baking pan.  Bake 38 to 45 minutes.  Do NOT

overbake.  Remove from oven and immediately spread over the top the marshmallow creme.  Let set at least 30 minutes.  Then frost. 

To prepare frosting:  combine all frosting ingreients and mix well.  Spread gently on top of cake.

False

Sheri, this makes two pies that can be made ahead and if you only use one the other can be kept frozen for two weeks. They always get raves.

*  Exported from  Key Home Gourmet  *

Coconut Caramel Pie

Recipe By     :
    Serving Size  : 20   Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories    : Desserts

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
       2      baked         pastry shells (make your own or use frozen
         1/4  cup           butter
       1 1/3  cups          flaked coconut
         1/2  cup           chopped pecans
       1      8oz           pkg. cream cheese,softened
       1      14oz can      sweetened condensed milk
       1      16oz carton   Cool Whip -- thawed
       1      12oz jar      caramel topping

Prepare pastry shells as directed.
    In a large skillet,melt butter,stir in coconut and pecans.
    Cook and stir over medium heat until coconut is golden,6-8 minutes.Cool.
    In large bowl,beat cream cheese until smooth;gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk on low speed.Fold in Cool Whip.Spoon about one fourth of the mixture into each baked shell.Drizzle each with one fourth of the caramel topping and springle with one fourth of the coconut mixture.Repeat layers.
    Cover and freeze 5 hours or until firm.Serve,or freeze,covered,for up to 2 weeks.Let stand at room temp for 5 minutes before serving.
    20 servings

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

False

Here is the other one.  This cake, from the Betty Crocker check-out stand cookbook, looks so absolutely to die for I just have to post it!  This one is easy since it starts with a cake mix.  And the frosting is yummy!

Enjoy!  Lorraine

CREAMY ORANGE CAKE

1 cup boiling water
    1 box (4-serving size) orange jello
    1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
    3/4 cup frozen (thawed) orange juice concentrate
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup water
    4 egg whites
    1 container (12 oz.) Betty Crocker  Whipped vanilla frosting
    1 container (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. for shiny metal or glass pan ( or 325 degrees for dark or nonstick pan).  Spray bottom only of 13 x 9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.  In small bowl, mix boiling water and jello until jello is completely dissolved.  Cool slightly, about 5 minutes.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, 1/4 cup of the jello mixture, 1/4 cup of the orange juice concentrate, the oil, water and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds.  Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.  Pour into pan.  Reserve remaining jello mixture and orange juice concentrate.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Poke warm cake every inch with fork.  Place 1 tablespoon of the reserved jello mixture in microwavable custard cup or small bowl; set aside.  Into remaining jello mixture, stir remaining 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate; pour slowly over cake.  Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.

In medium bowl, gently stir together frosting and whipped topping; frost cake.  Microwave 1 tablespoon jello mixture uncovered on High 10 seconds to liquefy.  Using 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon, place small drops of jello mixture over frosting.  With spoon or toothpick, swirl jello into frosting.  Store covered in refrigerator.  Makes 12 servings.

Note:  Pour leftover thawed frozen orange juice concentrate over a cup of fresh fruit for a quick snack.

False

This is a very impressive looking dessert and delicious too.  Very easy to make also; except I use milk chocolate instead of semisweet.

I make it whenever I am entertaining guests and they always want the recipe.  I hope you try it.  I got it off TOH Search board.

Nancy

Nutrition Facts

• One serving:
    • (1 each)
    • Calories:
    • Fat:
    • 25 g
    • Saturated Fat:
    • 15 g
    • Cholesterol:
    • 104 mg
    • Sodium:
    • 129 mg
    • Carbohydrate:
    • 28 g
    • Fiber:
    • 1 g
    • Protein:
    • 4 g

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

SERVINGS

14-16

CATEGORY

Dessert

METHOD

Chill

PREP

20 min.

TOTAL

20 min.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
    • 1 cup sugar, divided
    • 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
    • 3 tablespoons orange juice
    • 3 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
    • 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    • 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, grated
    • Chocolate curls and additional strawberries, optional

DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, toss strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
        In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, orange juice and remaining sugar until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream; set aside.
        Drain strawberries, reserving juice; set the berries aside. Gently toss cake cubes with reserved juice. Place half of the cake in a 4-qt. trifle dish or serving bowl. Top with a third of the cream cheese mixture, half of the strawberries and half of the grated chocolate. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture. Garnish with chocolate curls and strawberries if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Yield: 14-16 servings.

Printed from tasteofhome.com Apr 22, 2008

Copyright Reiman Media Group, Inc © 2008 =0)document.write(unescape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-') //--> var ref = window.document.referrer; if (ref.length > 0) { ref = ref.toLowerCase(); ref = ref.replace("http://", ""); ref = ref.replace("https://", ""); var rlen = ref.indexOf("/"); if (rlen > 0) ref = ref.substring(0, rlen) if (document.URL.indexOf(ref) '); }}

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

WOW ! I am so glad I read this post. These recipes sound wonderful. The chocolate nachoes are very intriguing. I never heard of them before. They will be my first trey. I am always looking for a new dessert for my euchre group

Nadine.

I will post several of my favorites also 

False

I made two of these cakes for my Womens club tomorrow. They always bake up big and beautiful. I drip the frosting/glaze in swrillsplace the cake on a glass pedestal then put a small glass in the center of the bundt and fill with fresh pansies. Beautiful ! And always gets praise. Nice alone or served with fresh sliced strawberries and a dollop of whip cream

Enjoy,Nadine 

apricot brandy pound cake

Ingredients:
    1 c butter
    3 c sugar
    6 eggs
    3 c flour
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 c sour cream
    1 tsp orange extract
    1/2 tsp rum
    1/4 tsp almond extract