Mostacholi Recipe? ....Open-House | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mostacholi Recipe? ....Open-House

Last post May 28, 2008 9:42 AM by linvan . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Mostacholi Recipe? ....Open-House

DSs high school graduation open-house is coming up.Smile

I was going to order Mostacholi from a local restraunt until I found out its $25.  serves five.

The lady said, oh but you get breadsticks with it Confused

Anyone have a good recipe...guess I'll make it.

Can I make it ahead of time and freeze it in one of those 16x11 foil roasting pans?

False
  • Re: Mostacholi Recipe? ....Open-House

I thought this one sounded really good I suppose you could double it to put in the bigger foil pans and freeze! I am not a big sausage lover , I might half the sausage and add hamburger. I think you have a good idea serving this at the graduation, lots of kids will pass thru your house I am sure, and they all seem to love italian! What else are you going to serve? A big lettuce salad would be good! Chuzi

MOSTACHOLI CASSEROLE

1 lb. Italian sausage 1/2 c. chopped onion 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste 1/3 c. water 1/4 tsp. pepper 8 oz. Mostacholi noodles, cooked and drained 3 c. shredded Mozzarella or cheddar cheese 1 1/2 c. cottage cheese 1 tsp. marjoram leaves or ground marjoram 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese Brown sausage and add onion. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and seasonings. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Combine cottage cheese, Mozzarella/cheddar cheese and marjoram. In 9 x 13 baking dish, layer 1/2 noodles, meat sauce, and then cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

False

I think this would make a really good salad to go along with your mostacholi! My aunt makes a version of this for all the family get togethers. She adds a little pumpernickel bread along with the white. Also she buys her dressing premade from the store or sub shop! I found it posted on the board but not sure by who?? Good luck with your party and have fun! Chuzi Smile

Submarine Salad

• 5 to 6 cups torn lettuce
    • 1 to 2 hard rolls, cubed
    • 1 medium tomato, chopped
    • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    • 2 ounces each ham, turkey and salami, julienned
    • 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
    • DRESSING:
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
    • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    • Dash pepper

Directions:

In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, rolls, tomato, onion, cheese, ham, turkey, salami and pepperoni. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings

False

I make stuffed shells and lasagna and freeze them before baking and they do great.  I think this recipe will double just fine, too.

08-26-2004 7:14 PM In reply to

RE: ISO Mostacholi recipe

MOSTACHOLI CASSEROLE

1 lb. Italian sausage
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
    1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
    1/3 c. water
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    8 oz. Mostacholi noodles, cooked and
    drained
    3 c. shredded Mozzarella or cheddar
    cheese
    1 1/2 c. cottage cheese
    1 tsp. marjoram leaves or ground
    marjoram
    1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

Brown sausage and add onion. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and seasonings. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Combine cottage cheese, Mozzarella/cheddar cheese and marjoram. In 9 x 13 baking dish, layer 1/2 noodles, meat sauce, and then cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

False

They all sound great :)

So far hows this sound?

Chicken

Mostacholi with bread sticks...... filling for all the hungry guys

One of my favorites and DSs......Pulled Pork Sandwiches.
    Don't know to make the pulled pork the day before or make it now and freeze it.
    We had Pulled Pork Sandwiches while on vacation in NC with some kind of special slaw....oh my that was the best we ever had!
    You put the slaw on the sandwich....Oh sooo good.

Veggie trays and salads

Cake~ Vanilla 1/2 sheet cake with strawberry mousse...thats DSs pick. 
    I need to decide on another 1/2 sheet.

False

Simple Baked Mostaccioli

2 cups pasta sauce with meat, your favorite

3 cups mostaccioli noodles, cooked al dente

3 tablespoons small curd cottage cheese or ricotta cheese

1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix all ingrdients in a casserole dish, cover with Mozzarella.

Bake, covered if your cheese is browning too quickly, until browned and bubbily and heated through. Smile

False

I came across this while browsing rec.food.recipes.  I haven't tried it but it sounds easy enough. cj

Do ahead Mostaccioli

1 lb. Mostaccioli or Penne pasta

1 jar 28-32 oz. Pasta Sauce

1 cup sour cream

3 cups water

4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Mix pasta sauce, sour cream and
    water together in a large bowl. Add the uncooked pasta and mix well. With
    a large spoon, begin to place a layer of the pasta and sauce into the
    prepared pan. Cover this first layer with a layer of the shredded cheese.
    Over the cheese layer, place another layer of the pasta and sauce,
    finishing with the shredded cheese. Pour any remaining sauce around the
    edges of the baking pan. Place in the refrigerator overnight. When ready
    to bake, cover tightly with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for about 1
    hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes.

--

False

Pioneerwoman's lasagna recipe is fabulous adapted using other pastas. The flavor is out of this world. My dh and ds, who aren't big fans of lasagna, had seconds, thirds, and fourths of her recipe.

I'll post a link to her recipe and then how I changed it a bit to use with penne or mostacholi.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_lasagn/

For the sauce, I used a 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes, 1-14oz. can of crushed tomatoes, 2 tomato paste, about 2 cups of water, and a bit of sugar because the tomatoes seemed a bit on the tart side. I followed all her other sauce ingredients and directions.

When it came time to assemble, I mixed 1 lb. of cooked, cooled pasta with the sauce. Layered it as she directed. Topped with mozz. and a big bunch of parm.

It made a huge disposable foil lasagna pan full.(the pan was a little larger than a 9x13 and was about 5 inches deep)

Hope someone tries this. We love it!

deb

False

Oven Baked Mostacholi Recipe 1 pound 1 medium 1 large 5 cups 1 - 16 ounce package 4 cups 1/2 cup bulk mild Italian sausage green bell pepper, chopped onion, chopped meatless spaghetti sauce mostacholi noodles mozzarella cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, grated   Oven Temp: 350° Cooking Time: 30 to 45 minutes Pan Type: baking pan Preheat Oven. Cook mostacholi according to package directions for firm pasta. Brown the sausage, onions and green pepper until meat is no longer pink inside. Stir often to break up the sausage. Drain well. Add sauce, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Put small amount of sauce in bottom of pan. Next, layer one half of the mostacholi pasta over the sauce and 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Cover with 2 cups of sauce. Repeat layer’s and top with parmesan cheese. Bake for allotted time. Serve this oven baked mostacholi recipe with your favorite garlic bread. Serves: 9 - 12
    False