Applebees Chocolate Mousse Dessert Shooter | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Applebees Chocolate Mousse Dessert Shooter

Last post Aug 22, 2009 9:16 PM by abrahamtim . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Applebees Chocolate Mousse Dessert Shooter

Applebee's® Chocolate Mousse Dessert Shooter 

Decadent  OREO chunks, chocolate mousse and whipped cream make this a rich and creamy treat." After searching for an awesome chocolate mousse to clone, I've finally found inspiration in this new dessert shooter from Applebee's. This is a single serving of thick and rich chocolate mousse that is easy to replicate using half a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips melted slowly in a double-boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of hot water. To make an authentic recreation we don't want a mousse that's too fluffy, so we'll stir the egg whites into the melted chocolate rather than folding them in. We'll save the folding for the whipped cream. With a little Godiva chocolate liqueur and some chopped up bits of chocolate that go in there, you'll have a great mousse that is made even better when served in a 6-ounce rocks glass along with Oreo cookie crumbs, chocolate fudge topping, and whipped cream.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:

2 tablespoons butter

6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)

1 tablespoon Godiva chocolate liqueur

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs, separated

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

8 Oreo cookies

1/2 cup chocolate fudge sauce

Canned whipped cream .

Make a double-boiler by setting a metal bowl on top of a medium saucepan filled with a couple inches of water. Add butter to the bowl, and then set the heat to low. When the butter has melted, add the chocolate chips, except for 1 tablespoon that you set aside. When chips are melted, add chocolate liqueur and vanilla. Remove bowl from the heat and whisk in egg yolks. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Stir egg whites into chocolate mixture. In another medium bowl, combine sugar with cream, and then whip cream until stiff. Fold cream into chocolate. Chop remaining 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips into small bits the size of rice. Stir this chocolate into the mousse, then cover and chill the mousse for 3 to 4 hours. Open the Oreos and scrape out the filling (use a knife, not your teeth). Pop the chocolate wafers into a plastic bag and pound on it with a kitchen mallet until you've got a bag full 'o crumbs. Make each serving by spooning 2 tablespoons of Oreo cookie crumbs into the bottom of a 6-ounce rocks glass. Spoon 1/3 cup of chilled mousse into the glass, and top it with 2 tablespoons of chocolate fudge topping. Warm up the fudge a bit in the jar in your microwave (remove the top first!) so that it's easy to spoon into the glass. Spray a pile of whipped cream on top and sprinkle it with some of the leftover Oreo crumbs.

Servings: 4 servings.

False
  • Re: Applebees Chocolate Mousse Dessert Shooter
    What I wouldnt give to taste a spoonful or two right this moment
    False

Kaci, Looks like you are off to a good start~  Thanks so much for sharing~  JanieYes

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I've had their shooter and really liked it. Thanks for sharing this.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thank you - can't wait to try this.  I bet I would love it with Kahlua too.

Sue

False

gavingrma_OH
    I bet I would love it with Kahlua too.

I agree Sue!

Back to the top

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

in applebees the chocolate mousse was very thick, I liked that, how do I make it get thick ?
    False