ISO Hamburger Gravy Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Hamburger Gravy Recipe

Last post Jul 08, 2010 9:22 PM by Fishin4Recipes . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • ISO Hamburger Gravy Recipe

Does anyone have a good hamburger gravy recipe for on top of mashed potatoes.  I remember eating it as a child and for some reason today thought of it and am now craving it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa C   

False
  • Re: ISO Hamburger Gravy Recipe

Here is another recipe passed down. Many families have variations.

HAMBURGER GRAVY
    1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, diced
    1 Tbsp. corn starch (OR thicken with flour, if desired)
    salt and pepper to taste
    water *
    Kitchen Bouquet, optional
    1-2 teaspoons beef soup base, optional

- Brown ground beef with onion. Drain (rinse with hot water, to get grease out, if desired)
    - Return to pan. Add small amount water.
    - Dissolve 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with approximately ¼ cup water. Stir into ground beef/onion mixture.  Thin with water, as desired.
    - Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste.
    - Serve over mashed potatoes (or noodles or toast).

* NOTE:
    -- Some use milk instead of water for a creamy gravy.

False

I used to brown the hamburger & onion, drain, season it and add a can of cream of mushroom soup.  Stir it all together and add a little milk if it's too thick.

False

I just brown my hamburger as I would for anything else.  Season it with whatever you normally use (I just use garlic).  Then when hamburger is done, do not drain - unless you have a ton of grease.  Put in flour - probably 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup - I am not sure, I just do it til the grease is soaked up.  Stir really well until all flour is dissolved.  Then add milk.  Again, I just go by eyeing things - but probably a couple of cups of milk.  Once it starts to thicken, add salt to taste and if you like, add worcestershire sauce (about two shakes or 1 tsp).  Then when it is thick - serve over mashed potatoes.  Think I will make this for dinner tonight as it sounds good and has been a while since I have made it!

Kelly

False
    The WeatherPixie

Thanks so much for the recipes.  You guys are great!

Lisa C. 

False

I make mine exactly like Kelly! YUM!

Shannon

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Here's my TnT recipe. DH LOVES it!!!

Hamburger Gravy
    1 lb ground beef
    1 can beef broth divided
    1 onion chopped
    2 Tbls. dried parsley
    1 Tbls. dried basil
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    1 tsp. seasoned salt
    pepper to taste
    2 Tbls. Cornstarch
    Hot mashed potatoes

In a large skillet, cook beef and drain. Add 1 1/2 cups beef broth, onion, parsley, basil, garlic, seasoning salt and pepper. Pour in beef and simmer uncovered till onions are tender about 10 minutes. In a small bowl mix cornstarch and remaining broth till smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Serve over mashed potatoes

False

Sounds delicious!

Thanks, Lisa

False

Hamburger Gravy (my mom)

1 ½ lb. ground beef

1 onion, diced

2 c. water

approximately 2 c. milk

1/3 - 1/2 c. all purpose flour

1 t. salt

½ t. black pepper

(Gregg and I liked it with a 4 oz can mushroom stems and pieces added, but that was not something my mom used as neither she nor my dad liked mushrooms).

Cook ground beef and onion together in large skillet until ground beef is done. Drain. Return to skillet. Add water, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. In large shaker cup or jar with tight fitting lid combine milk and flour and shake until smooth. Stir milk mixture into meat mixture. Stir constantly until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat. Serve over mashed potatoes or hot biscuits.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Guess what we had for supper tonight!  Surprise
    --- Hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes. 

~~Vicki - dutchmom4

False

We had it last night!!!!!!!  Big SmileYes

Kelly

False
    The WeatherPixie

Great minds think alike.  Wink

False

False