Stromboli Steak Sandwich | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Stromboli Steak Sandwich

Last post Nov 15, 2012 1:54 PM by Lily BW . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Stromboli Steak Sandwich
    Does anyone have ANY idea how to make a Stromboli Steak Sandwich? I use to (in the 70's) go to a restaurant in Montgomery, AL called Pasquales. They had the BEST Stromboli Steak Sandwich and I can not find a recipe that comes even close. It was a mushroom gravy sauce on a buttery garlic sub roll. Any ideas?
    False
  • Re: Stromboli Steak Sandwich

Wow, that's different than the one's I've eaten. I think I would make a hamburger patty and grill it. Then I would take onions and mushrooms and saute them in butter until tender. Once they're tender, add about 1 tbsp flour (for a small amount of mush/onions) and mix it up. Pour 1 C water or milk (if you want it creamy) over the mushrooms/onions and bring to a boil so that it thickens into a gravy. Season with salt/pepper. Serve that over the hamburger (with bun) and lay a slice of provolone cheese on top.

The strombolis I've had always have pizza sauce (instead of gravy) with sauteed mushrooms and onions and then cheese on top of that.

Does that help? I hope so. Just pulled that out of my head. Sometimes it doesn't go down in writing the way I expect.Confused

S

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Thanks, I will try. That sounds pretty similar. I do remember the bread being very buttery/garlicky too. I can't remember if it was hamburger meat or maybe thin sliced beef. Hadn't thought about the cheese on top. That will make a difference too. Thanks again, L
    False

This looks close: Mushroom Steak Hoagies.  

False
    What great memories this brings up for me!  In the late 60s we would go to Pasquale's almost every Sunday night after church and have stromboli steak sandwiches.  They were to die for good!  I wish I had a copycat recipe.  The beef patty was thin, the mushroom gravy was so good and the hoagie style bun was drenched in garlic butter.  They were some of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten and would love to taste them again.

False

We had a Pasquales in Indianapolis also and I loved their Stromboli Steak sandwiches! Papa Johns has Hoagies that are very similar with the mushroom gravy and I think they are good.

Salbo

False
    Thanks Salbo! I will check that out! Leslie
    False

We have a pasuales, and have their stromboli about once a month. They're made with thin cube stk. get it with pizza sauce or mushrooms sauce. I like the pizza sauce, mozz. cheese and banana peppers.

diana

False

Hi!  I am from Birmingham, Al.  I loved the stromboli steak from Pasquales.  I was recently out in Nevada and ordered it in a Pizza Joint.  It was nothing lke the ol Stromboli.  It was in a pastry like Calzone and had Philly Cheesesteak meat that was thinly sliced.  Good, but not what I was hoping it would be. Reading your post stirred those memories..Thanks..............Randman

False

i own a pasquales in greenwood indiana and we sell about 500 of these wonderful sandwiches that were invented by my uncle in 1952. Pasquale Gramaglia and his brother Vinny had 48 franchised Pasquales in the Cincinnati area in 1959. The stromboli was the cornerstone of their success. in 1968 the company was sold to a business man in alabama. My family operates 2 pasquales in indiana one opened in 1959 which we esimate have sold over a million strombolis.the italian bread is the secret crusty on the outide soft in the middle and brushed with butter  we can ship kits to make these vito1992@aol.com.

False

These stromboli's sound awesome!

False

There are some things that Money just cannot buy, Manners, Morals and Intelligence.

wow ~ Its got me mouth watering ~  Janie ~

I too was thinking along the lines of a cheesesteak ~  wonder how pizza dough would work out ??   Strombolis are usually made with pizza dough  ~  Hmm  Think I'll do some fooling around, now that you all have given me a head start ~  Thanks  ~ Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

YUM!  What time is Lunch Janie????  LOL

False

There are some things that Money just cannot buy, Manners, Morals and Intelligence.

lol ~  Coffee    Yes  Munch its printed and I will do a test run ~  Janie ~  I will use the pizza dough ~ 

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Appy_Girl
    Strombolis are usually made with pizza dough 

They are generally rolled and sliced  which is different from the usual sub sandwich.

I made a Roast Beef Stromboli for DH 2 days ago- Usually I make my own Pizza dough -it is very easy, however time was short.

I used Pillsbury  Pizza dough from  the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

I spread the Dough out on a pan,topped the dough with  shredded cheddar almost to the edges then I layered thinly sliced Roast beef and sprinkled that with a Garlic sea salt blend.

A layer of shredded Mozzarella came next, topped by another thin layer of Deli Roast Beef sprinkled with the Coarse Lawry Garlic slat blend. I rolled the dough up l;ike a jelly roll and baked it on a Pam sprayed pan for 12-15 minutes (400 F)

I sliced it on a angle and served 3 slices on a plate .Yes I served it with sweet hot mustard and Horseradish sauce for dipping.~A

This method is very tweakableone can use- Thinly sliced steak, -Ham , pepperoni mushrooms, etc............

While I prefer my own homemade dough this was good , quick and quite colorful with the spirals of 2 colored cheeses surrounding the meat.

It was almost better the second day when heated in the microwave-(IMO because the Garlic flavor permeated the stromboli.)

FOUND ON A ROADFOOD SITE

quote:
    Origin~~~y posted by tfrielin

quote:
    Origin~~~y posted by bill voss

what did/does the stromboli steak sandwich consist of?

As I rec~~~ it consisted of a slab o' beef smothered in a browen gravy with mushrooms, served on Pasquales magnificent garlic bread loaf.

Did I leave anything out sheliagram?

Maybe onions-- optional

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009