Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted in baked goods? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted in baked goods?

Last post May 08, 2008 11:10 PM by suzycreamcheese_MI . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted in baked goods?
    • Indifferent [:|]

Does it make a difference? I only buy the salted kind and have been using it forever but I've noticed more and more baking recipes calling for unsalted butter. At first I thought it was because salt was added elsewhere in the recipe but some call for unsalted butter even if salt isn't added anywhere else in the recipe.

Confused but Chatty Kathy

False
  • Re: Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted in baked goods?

well, i just use the regular butter.... but then i will probably get my fingers smucked by some of the bakers here for doing so.  i think the whole point of using unsalted is that you are in control of the salt added later.... but never made a difference to me.... 

False

I use salted butter  in place of unsalted  a lot regardless of what a recipe states. I only buy one type of butter  (salted) for my family's general use.

If a recipe lacks  needed salt I am very much  aware of that and often find some baked goods lacking flavor IMO.

When cooking you can salt or not salt your prepared  foods... Not a problem.

.Baked goods do not leave you that option generally.

Many people particularly  with Health concerns (High blood pressure etc) use unsalted butter and /or leave out additional salt if mentioned.

It is a matter of taste and /or of Health issues.Usually  if you try a recipe once you will determine if salt should be omitted or not.

You are the Baker/cook. Your opinion and that of those eating your food determines the best route,

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I use the salted most of the time because that is what I prefer for regular use.  Occasionally if it's on sale, I buy a box of unsalted and stick in the freezer for use when I do holiday baking.

Years ago at I had friends/neighbors that where in the states to work for Rolex as watchmakers from Switzerland and Germany.  At Christmas I baked all kinds of goodies.  They ALL told me I should NOT have used salted butter.  I thought....how the heck can you tell the difference?  Surprise They could.  So I stocked up on unsalted butter until their work visa's expired, then back to the salted butter for me! Wink

Suziee 

False

I am the opposite. I keep only unsalted butter in the house, and use it exclusively.

If something needs salt, I believe the rule of thumb is 1 stick of unsalted butter + 1/4 tsp. salt = 1 stick of salted butter. So if all you have is salted, and a recipe calls for unsalted, simply omit 1/4 tsp. of the salt it calls for elsewhere in the recipe.

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

I never use unsalted butter, but I rarely add salt to a recipe anyway these days. I think either way is fine!

~~susie.

False