** Please Identify These Mystery Items - identified as rosette irons ** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

** Please Identify These Mystery Items - identified as rosette irons **

Last post Mar 15, 2012 1:04 AM by bobbiee . 36 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123
  • ** Please Identify These Mystery Items - identified as rosette irons **
    • Star [*]

I thought I had a recipe or recipes using these items, but now cannot recall what these things are called OR what you make using them.

Please help.
    ~~Vicki

False

• Re: ** Please Identify These Mystery Items **

The one's with handles look like the irons used for making Rosettes.

deb

False

that is what they look like to me, if the others have a small hole then you put the handles in them also.  you make a thin batter, dip on the iron and then fry in hot oil.  frost or sprinkle with sugar.  My Grandmother made them for christmas.
    False

Vicki, the pan in front is for making checkerboard cake. The irons are for rosettes.( a batter type cookie. deep fried) The rest look like jello molds.

Ellie

False

Thank you for your quick replies.  I should have mentioned that all the other pieces can be attached to the handles, too.

~~Vicki

False

Those cutters that are shaped like a heart, spade, diamond and club can be used to cut out tea sandwiches too. Very cute for card parties.

Rosettes are wonderful but you need lots of hot oil to make them when you deep fry them. My mother made them and I still have her rosette iron.

False

Thank you for the added information.  Are rosettes generally made around Christmas or throughout the year?

~~Vicki

False

Vicki, you are bringing back fond memories of my childhood! We used to go on summer vacation up in Door County, Wisconsin, and one of the desserts they served at the Bay Shore Inn was Swedish Rosettes with powdered sugar and fresh berries! YUM!!! So the rosettes were made year round!

:)

Ellen 

False

Benchsitter is correct, they all fit on the same handle, dipped in a thin batter then held in hot oil, (it doesn't take long) till they fall off the mold, then turned over with a fork, remove from oil when brown, sprinkle with powdered sugar, Yummuy, it does not take much oil to fry them in I always used my cast iron frying pan, just put the fork under them and turn carefully, don't poke a hole in them while cooking or they get greasy.  I gave my set to a friend when I moved. Fun to make. Judy

False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Forget to tell you when you are dipping the molds in batter do not get batter on the top edge of the mold or the cookie won't fall off when it is cooked. Judy

False

IN GOD WE TRUST

False

You should be able to find a rosette recipe in the recipe search. One VERY important thing is: when you drst start, stick your irons into the hot oil to pre-heat before dipping into the batter por the rosettes will stick to the irons and make a mess.

We have always pre-heated for a few second before dipping the irons nto the batter.

It is time consumng but a lot of fun.  OGkallee has a recipe book I gave her a long time ago, it has about 30 different batter recipes, including some with cornmeal. I am sure she would not mind posting a few if you ask her.

False

This was my grandpas recipe until he passed away and then I got it. He would make these for Christmas, but I love them so I make them a few times a year. I have those exact rosette irons. The butterfly is harder to work with so if you haven't made them before use the star ones.

ROSETTES

1 cup milk

1 egg

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon sugar

Have egg and milk at room temperature. Then mix all together. Put iron into hot oil first and then into the mixture, (making sure it is to the top but don't get the batter on the top edge. Put in oil for a couple of minutes. (most of the time they fall off when cooked. ) Dip into powdered sugar or granulated sugar.

False

Thank you, everyone, for the information, hints, and recipe!  Looks like I have some fun ahead when I make my first batch.

~~Vicki

False

Grelo~~
    I will ask OGkalle to post some of her recipes.  We had to shut down our computer last night due to severe weather and power outage.  More of the same due this afternoon.

~~Vicki

False