Adding Flax Seed to recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Adding Flax Seed to recipe?

Last post Jun 09, 2008 4:28 PM by patone_wi . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Adding Flax Seed to recipe?

Good morning to all!

I have a chocolate chip muffin recipe that calls for 2 cups of flour.  I would like to add some ground flax seed to the recipe to add some fiber for my young son.  Should I substitue part of the flour with the flax seed?  Or should I just add the flax seed to the existing recipe?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

NancyUmbrella

False
  • Re: Adding Flax Seed to recipe?

bumping 

I also want to hear from those who have a tried & true answer -

I just hate to waste ingredients

Big Smile 

Thanks ladies 

False

My body and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever...
    Psalm 73: 26

EVERYTHING that I bake has flax, substitute eggs and Smart Balance as well as oatmeal if the flavors and textures allow.  I don't feel so guilty induldging!

I add flax to my meatloaf in fact.  It is never tasted.  I have found that in baking cookies cut the cooking time down about 1 minute as with the oatmeal it tends to get a tad harder than I like, but not enough for my family to not devour them!

I have blended the whole flax with sesame seeds when using those. Also ground flax mixed with the flour for oven fried chicken.  Somehow it just seems healthier!

I was making sugar cookies last week with my 8yr old DS and he was helping add the stuff.  I was done and he told me I forgot the flax and oatmeal!

It is very forgiving.  Flax away!  If you have Trader Joes around you they have the cheapest. 

False

Nancy, I usually substitute 1/4-1/3 cup of ground flaxseed for 2 cups of flour.

If you buy whole-grain or already ground, keep in your 'fridge.  I also sprinkle on hot and cold cereals.  Make sure the flax seed is ground, unground won't give you the nutrition, fiber benefits.

False

patone_wi

Nancy, I usually substitute 1/4-1/3 cup of ground flaxseed for 2 cups of flour.

Replace that much flour with that little amount of ground flax? Now I'm confused. I, too, am eagerly looking to use flax as an ingredient in many dishes, and wonder if I can replace 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of flax.

Here are a couple of recipes I found online awhile back. I've not tried either...yet

Bran Flax Quick Bread Recipe

By cherihannah

This is very healthy. Flax is a very good source of Omega 3

2 cups flax seed (ground)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached is best )

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

4 egg whites or 2 eggs

grated peel from 2 lemons ( save lemons for juice )

1/2 cup raw honey or sugar (can use reg. honey )

2 cups either raisins, cran raisins,prunes or dates( soak ahead a few min.: drain)

Squeeze lemons for juice, Adding enough buttermilk to yield 1 1/2 cups fluid

Preheat oven to325 degrees F

Combine ingredients in descending order and mix thoroughly.

Bake in 6 lightly buttered,small loaf pans (3 in. x 7 in.) for 40 min. at 325 degrees F

Bran Muffins with Flaxseeds 
    Ingredients:

1/4 cup Shortening 

1/2 cup Brown Sugar 

1/4 cup Molasses 

2 Eggs 

1 cup Milk 

1 cup White Flour, Unbleached 

1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 

1/2 tsp Baking Soda 

1/2 tsp Salt 

1/2 cup Raisins (Unsulfured) 

1/3 cup Flaxseed 

1-1/2 cups Wheat Bran 

Preheat oven to 400°. Grease muffin tins or prepare with baking cups.

Cream shortening, brown sugar, and eggs. Add molasses and beat together well. Add milk, then bran. Set aside.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add raisins and flaxseed.

Mix liquid mixture with dry mixture until completely moistened.

Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15- 20 minutes.

Makes 18 Muffins. Best served warm.

False

I have only used flax seed in my bread machine so don't know first hand about muffins. For the bread I substitute 1/4 to 1/3 cup flax straight across for the flour. No problems with the results. Most of the recipes for bread that I use call for 3 cups of flour so I would think if you are making muffins.....2 cups flour maybe?.....proportionally speaking that would be too much flax. Experiment using maybe 1/8 cup and see how it goes. Great idea getting fiber into the kid's diet!

Elizabeth

False

I would start with 1/4 cup of ground flax substituted for 1/4 cup flour in a recipe calling for 2 cups flour, so use 1-3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup flax instead of 2 cups flour. Gradually increase the amount to 25 % of the flour in ground flax unless the recipe was developed to use ground flax. The banana bread recipe sounds like it would be a very dense, hearty bread. The muffins sound like a better choice for a new flax user. Always use ground flax and keep it refrigerated or frozen once ground because the oil quickly goes rancid. Whole flax is too small for our teeth to grind so it just passes through our system. Check out some of the flax recipes I've reviewed. There are some great muffin recipes.

chefly

False

Thanks to all for the replies to my post.  I really appreciate the tips and suggestions!  Sorry it took me awhile to get back to the BB.

I ended up using about 1/4 cup of the ground flax and 1 and 3/4 cup flour for the recipe (original recipe called for 2 cups flour).  The muffins turned out really good!  They had good texture.  I think the next time I will try to increase it just a bit more...see how much I can sneak in!  I made the batch yesterday...10 yr. old son (along with DH) loved them!

False

OOPS - Pardon Me.  I meant that I put in about 1/3 C. ground flaxseed and the rest regular flour to equal 2 cups.

False