ISO a recipe for a fruitcake that contains Watermelon Rind Pickles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO a recipe for a fruitcake that contains Watermelon Rind Pickles

Last post Jun 24, 2008 5:42 PM by Deonia . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • ISO a recipe for a fruitcake that contains Watermelon Rind Pickles

A lady on the BB had posted a  reply to someone about watermelon rind pickles and mentioned having a recipe for a fruitcake that used the WRP in it. I would love to try that recipe if the lady, I think her name was Barbara, would post it.

False
  • Re: ISO a recipe for a fruitcake that contains Watermelon Rind Pickles

I missed that one but will look for it. Here is one I've had for years. I got it from cooks.com

A Famous Ole Fruit Cake

1 pound grape fruit peel or citron
    1 pound pecans or black walnuts
    1 pound candied pineapple
    1 pound candied red watermelon rind or cherries
    3 pounds seeded raisins
    1 1/2 pounds figs or currants
    1/2 pound butter
    1/2 pound brown sugar
    1 cup fruit juicer or sweet pickle syrup
    6 eggs
    1 pound flour-4 c.
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    1 tbsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1/2 tsp. salt

Wash and dry currants. Cut grape fruit peel or citron and pineapple in one-half inch cubes, leaving cherries and nuts whole. Cream the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix flour and spices, and flour and fruit juices alternately. Add fruits, and nuts, mix thoroughly.

Mix dough thoroughly and place in baking pans which have been lined with butter paper which has been oiled. Cover the top of the pan with heavy brown wrapping paper which has been oiled. Tie the paper securely around the edge of pans to prevent water getting into the cake.

Place the pans in the cooker and pour boiling water into the cooker but do not fasten the clamps. Keep at the boiling point 55 minutes. After that clamp the lid down securely on the cooker, close the petcock and raise the pressure to 15 pounds for 15 minutes. This insures cooking the cake to the center of the pan. Remove from cooker, take off paper covers, and place pans in a slow oven for 15 minutes to dry out the crust.

This recipe will make 11 pounds. (This recipe is at least 80 years old and excellent.)

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

Found this online.  Interesting. 

FRUIT CAKE (OLD FASHIONED)  
    3/4 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. molasses
    1/2 c. blackberry or grape juice
    3/4 c. buttermilk
    1 c. blackberry jam
    1 c. watermelon rind preserves, chopped
    1 c. fig preserves
    3 c. flour
    4 c. pecans
    2 tsp. soda
    8 eggs
    2 sm. apples, chopped
    1/2 tsp. salt (opt.)
    1 lb. raisins
    1/2 lb. candied pineapple
    1 lb. cherries
    4 tsp. cocoa (opt.)
    Mix and pour the contents in a cake pan and bake at 250 degrees until done (use toothpick test).

False

This was the only thing I could find with a reference to "Barbara"

Watermelon Rind Preserves
    twinkle30

Select melons that have thick rind. Trim off the outer green skin and the pink flesh, and use only the greenish-white parts of the rind. Cut the rind into small ( 1/2-inch or smaller ) cubes, they need to be same size. Weigh, you need one pound. Soak the cubes for 3 1/2 hours in lime water ( lime water- 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons lime ). Next, drain and place cubes in clear water for 1 hour. Again, drain off the water and boil for 1 1/2 hour in fresh water, drain.

Make a syrup of 2 cups sugar and 1 quart water. Add rind and boil for 1 hour. As the syrup thickens, add 1/4 lemon and 1/4 orange, thinly sliced.

When the syrup thickens and the melon is clear, the preserves are ready for the jars.

* note *

This is a sunshine golden colored preserve.
    I also use this in my fruit cakes.
    I add red food coloring to one batch, green food coloring to another batch
    You'll get beautiful colored fruit for your fruit cakes, have fun with your colors, I've used them all. Even green ( funny color to look at, but pretty in fruit cakes )

I won six Blue Ribbons, in the preserve category, and finally asked how, one year golden colored the next year red, even had a light orange color one year ( with added maraschino cherries )

Barbara

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

GM, maybe that wasn't her that said that LOL. I went through 20 pages of archives and i did see thiatone, copied it too I think. I just remember the person who posted was looking for a recipe for watermelon rind pickles. Her comment was," My mother begged a family member for 40 years for a fruitcake recipe. I now have it and it calls for watermalon rind pickles, what are they? I never heard of them." She then said something about having looked at some stores and couldn't find them anywhere so she was asking the board if anyone had any recipes for the watrmelon rind pickles and whoever posted the recipe for her said that she made a fruitcake with them.

I have my Bigmothers recipe for fruitcake that my childhood girlfriend says is the best one she has ever eaten ( maybe just because Bigmother whom she loved dearly made it) but every year for Christmas I make it for her. I can't say because I dont like fruitcake at all. I just make it for friends.

But thanks to all of you who tried to help and posted the recipe you had. I appreciate the effort.

False