Rec & Picture: Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)- Cooking Light | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec & Picture: Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)- Cooking Light

Last post Jun 29, 2008 6:49 AM by JMartinelli13 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Rec & Picture: Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)- Cooking Light

Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)

This simple appetizer soup (SOH-pah day AH-ho) makes the most of everyday ingredients. Serve with a slice of Tomato and Garlic Toast and green salad for a light lunch. Use high-quality ingredients; because this basic soup has few elements, each contributes substantially to its success.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    5 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
    3 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Emeril's)
    1 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 (1-ounce) slices rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
    8 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender (do not brown). Stir in paprika. Add broth, 1 cup water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 4 minutes or until golden, stirring once halfway through cooking. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

4. Place about 1/4 cup bread cubes in each of 8 ovenproof soup bowls. Break one egg into each bowl; ladle about 1/2 cup broth mixture into each bowl. Arrange bowls on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny. Sprinkle evenly with chopped parsley.

Yield:  8 servings

CALORIES 114 (41% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 1.3g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.9g); IRON 1.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 180mg; CALCIUM 38mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.6g; SODIUM 398mg; PROTEIN 7.3g; FIBER 0.3g

Cooking Light, MAY 2008

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

• Re: Rec & Picture: Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)- Cooking Light

Gm~

That truly looks like a winner Jolene. I love the simplicity of it, plus I've always liked an egg in different dishes such as this. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

Jill

False

You're welcome Jill!   I found some CL mags on the shelf I'd marked recipes in, but hadn't put into MasterCook yet.    I always hesitate to mark the recipe as a CL one, because I think it puts people off sometimes, thinking it's diet food.     

False

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Looks and sounds wonderful to me too.
     Are you looking for a time out today?Lol.
     Thank you for sharing.

Waving to Bean.Lol

Rosie

False

Just a little payback for all the great stuff YOU loaded my favorites area with the last few days, Rosie  (insert evil laugh here)    :)

False

Lol at U 2!

Jolene, adding the Cooking Light comment actually draws my attention. Such nice flavors for lower calorie recipes. You can't go wrong with their recipes. Thanks again.

Hope you both are having a nice Saturday!

Jb

False

She started it!   Stick out tongue     LOL

Jill, I agree about CL.   One of Tim's favorite recipes is from there and the first time I made it he said, I'm so glad you aren't making me eat diet food....  And I got my new issue today... I must have marked another 10 or 15 recipes to try.  

Jake is with my parents today, it's date day but couldn't resist sneaking a peek at the board while Tim is playing a video game   :)

False

Ok you two, both of you put your noses in the corner...lol. And no back talk!

I keep telling myself I'm not going to go back on line and still do, so I know where you're coming from.

False

YUM!!

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Gm  Jolene~  Everything about this recipe looks wonderful, even down to the bowl~  Thanks for sharing~

gm you two birds~  Coffee  Missed out on some fun yesterday~  That's what I get for gardening~ While I'm working you guys are playing~ No fair!~  JanieWink

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Sneaking out of the corner to say good morning to Janie   :)    I think CL has some of the best photos of any magazine around.      I got the new issue yesterday, and the cover is a cherry pie and I had to stop myself before I started eating the paper   :)

Waving to ScottsGrace!

False