How do you cook white beans? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you cook white beans?

Last post Jul 01, 2008 6:35 PM by kytraveler . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How do you cook white beans?

I LOVE white beans, but have never made them.  My mom was great at making white beans, but she passed away 20 years ago, when I was younger and I never got her recipe.

White beans are always so gassy...is there any way to eliminate that problem?   Thank you for sharing your recipes with me.  I appreciate the help!

Terri

False
  • Re: How do you cook white beans?

What are white beans~cannelini beans? 

One way to cut down on the gassiness of dried beans is to dump the soaking water.  Short of that, you might want to try bean-o~it's a little tablet you take before you eat gassy foods.

False

Terri, there's white Navy beans and white Great Northern beans.  I think the Navy are a smaller bean.  After you've washed them, put them in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let set for about an hour, then pour that water off and cover with fresh water.  This helps prevent a lot of the gas. Season (or not) with ham or bacon, bring to a boil and simmer until done - about one to two hours. Salt and pepper to taste.

Carolyn

False

* Exported from MasterCook *

Great Northern Beans and Ham

Recipe By     :
    Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories    :

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
      1              pound  dry Great Northern beans -- washed and sorted
      2               cans  chicken broth -- (14+1/4 ounce)
      4               cups  water
      2               cups  diced ham -- (2 to 3)
      1              large  onion -- chopped
      2                     bay leaves
      2                  c  arrots -- julienned
         1/2           cup  margarine -- (1 stick)
                            salt to taste
                            Black pepper -- freshly ground, to taste

In a slow cooker, mix the beans, broth, water, ham, onion, bay leaves and carrots. Cover, and cook for 7 to 9 hours on low setting; or 4 to 5 hours on high. Remove bay leaves and add the margarine. Season with salt and pepper.

GranMarion____MN Posted on: 4/11/2003

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 931 Calories; 94g Fat (89.6% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2624mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 18 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

False

One way to take the gas out of the Navy or Great Northern beans is to add some baking soda in the water that you cook them in.

After cooking I usually make baked beans out of them.  The soda helps immensly for taking the gas out of them.

False

I soak my beans in water to cover by 2" for 8 hrs.1 hour before time is up I put 2 smoked pork neck bones in a stockpot and cover with chicken stock by 1".Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hr.Take the neck bones out to cool.Drain the beans and rinse well.Put the beans in the stock that you had the neck bones in,bring to a boil then turn it down to a strong simmer.After the neck bones have cooled,shred all the meat you can off the bones and add to the beans.Cook till desired doneness and check for seasoning. Depo!!!

False

My method is totally different but I have had really good luck with it.  Wash your choice of Northern or Navy beans and put them in your Crockpot.  Run your tap for the hottest water you can.  Use the hot water to cover your beans with about 3-4 inches of water.  Add your favorite seasoning-ham hock, smoked bacon or a piece of smoke hog jowl will work well.  If you want to cook the beans all day- choose the low setting and it will take about 7 hours to cook.  If you use high they will be done in about 4 hours.   Add salt and pepper after the beans are almost done.  DO NOT add salt at the beginning.    The key to this method is beginning with hot water.  If you have to add additional water during the cooking process -use hot water.  I think using the hot water basically takes the place of presoaking the beans while the crockpot gets hot.

The beans will always have soft centers-never have had a hard center with this method.  It will also keep you from letting them boil dry and scorching.   This method works for all types of dried beans.  I can't give you exact amounts as I add the water and seasonings based on sight and taste.  I sometimes also add red pepper flakes to the white beans for a little kick.

Good luck with your beans.

Kytraveler 

False