Carol1229's Favorite Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Carol1229's Favorite Recipes

Last post Aug 27, 2014 10:00 AM by carol1229 . 553 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 37 (554 items) 12345Last >
  • Carol1229's Favorite Recipes

RASPBERRY NUT PINWHEELS

1/2 c. butter, softened
    1 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 c. seedless raspberry jam
    3/4 c. finely chopped walnuts

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.  Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
     Roll out dough between sheets of waxed paper into a 12" square.  Remove top piece of waxed paper.  Spread dough with jam and sprinkle with walnuts.  Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
     Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4" slices.  Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake @ 375 degrees for 9-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool.  Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.

False
  • Re: Carol1229's Favorite Recipes
    DATE FILLED COOKIES

FILLING:
    1 1/2 c. chopped dates
    1/2 c. water
    1/2 c. sugar
    Cook above ingredients for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Let cool to room temperature.

COOKIE DOUGH:
    1 c. shortening
    2 c. light brown sugar
    3 eggs
    3 c. sifted flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture with vanilla. Drop by measuring teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Make an indentation in the center of each cookie; place some of the date filling into the indentation and top with a small amount of cookie dough-you do not have to cover it completely. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes or until light golden brown.
    * These cookies have had a tendency to spread quite a bit for me, so using a regular teaspoon to drop them on the cookie sheets resulted in a LOT of cookie and not enough filling for me. Experiment if you want to see how much dough to filling you want....I started using the measuring teaspoon and it worked good for me. Also-don't make the indentation too deep, otherwise the filling will seep through the bottom of the cookie...doesn't affect the taste, but they'd have a tendency to stick together or bend easily when you store them.

False

ALISON'S SUPREME CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
    (Source: allrecipes.com)

1/2 c. shortening
    1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 Tbsp. Kahlua OR chocolate liqueur (I always use the Kahlua)
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    2 c. rolled oats
    2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
    Cream together shortening, butter, sugars and eggs.
    Add the rest of the ingredients, in order, and mix well.
    Spoon a Tablespoon amount into your hand and shape it into a ball; place on greased sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a rack a few minutes before eating! Makes about 2 dozen.

*I don't make my cookies QUITE as big as the recipe states-so I always get more than 2 dozen....I usually check them at the 8 minute mark to see how they're baking.

False

CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT COOKIES
    (Source: Better Homes and Gardens)

3/4 c. butter, softened
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    1 (13 oz.) jar Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
    1 oz. unsweetened chocolate. melted and cooled
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    2 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 c. coarsely chopped, toasted, skinned hazelnuts

Cream butter; add sugars and beat well. Add Nutella, melted chocolate and vanilla; beat to combine. Combine dry ingredients. Beat in as much as you can; stir in the rest. Stir in chips and nuts. Drop by rounded Tablespoonful 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 2 minutes on pan; remove to wire racks and cool completely. May drizzle with melted white chocolate if desired-if doing so, let stand until chocolate sets. (I did this and ended up popping the cookies in the refrigerator to speed up the chocolate setting....it was warm in the kitchen that day and it wasn't cooperating on the counter-worked like a charm!) Makes 4-5 dozen.
    *These freeze really well too! I wouldn't put the melted white chocolate on until they thawed though-I tried it with the chocolate and freezing them and the chocolate broke off of some of them....they still tasted good though!!!!

False

CHILDREN'S CHOICE COOKIES

(Source: Pillsbury Cookies, Cookies and More Cookies cookbook)

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. granulated sugar
    1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1 c. shortening
    1/2 c. peanut butter
    1/4 c. applesauce
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 c. rolled oats
    3 Tbsp. grape jelly

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine all ingredients except 1 c. flour, oats and jelly; mix well. Stir in reserved 1 c. flour and oats. Shape into 1" balls; place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press with a fork dipped in sugar, making a criss-cross design. Place 1/4 tsp. jelly on center of each cookie. Bake @ 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until light golden brown. Makes 60 cookies.
    False

This is one of my all-time FAVORITE cookies!!!  And...as you will see, I have PLENTY of favorites in the cookie department!!!

CRUNCHY COCONUT COOKIES

1 c. shortening
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1 c. packed light brown sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 eggs, unbeaten
    2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    2 c. Corn Flakes
    1/2 c. flaked coconut

Cream shortening, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift or whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in Corn Flakes and coconut. Drop by teaspoonfuls (I use the medium size Pampered Chef cookie scoop) onto cookie sheets lightly sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Bake @ 350 degrees 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Makes 3-4 dozen. (Using the medium scoop, I get 3 dozen cookies)
    False
    I got this recipe from a friend and have fallen in love with these...and they're so easy too!!!

TREASURE COOKIES
    (Source: Eagle Brand.com)

1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (I've found 1 packet from a box of graham crackers crushes to 1 1/2 c.) 
    1/2 c. unsifted flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk 
    1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened
    1 1/2 c. flaked coconut 
    1 (12 oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
    1 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    In a small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder.
    In a large bowl beat condensed milk and margarine or butter until smooth. Add graham cracker crumbs to mixture; mix well. Stir in coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and pecans. Drop by rounded tablespoonful (I use my medium size Pampered Chef cookie scoops) onto ungreased cookie sheets,(you can use parchment paper to make clean up easier, if you prefer). (I flatten the tops of the cookies slightly before popping the pans in the oven, but you don't have to.) 
    Bake @ 375 degrees for 9-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

False
    QUICK PEANUT BLOSSOMS
    (Source: Pillsbury)

1 (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
    1 c. peanut butter
    1/3 c. water
    1 egg
    About 60 Hershey Kisses

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    In large bowl, combine cake mix, peanut butter, water and egg; stir by hand until dough forms. Shape into 1" balls (if necessary, refrigerate dough for easier handling). Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
    Bake @ 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, pressing down so cookie cracks around edge. Remove from cookie sheets. 5 dozen cookies.

False

CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE COOKIES
    (Source: PIllsbury)

1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
    1 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 (1 oz.) square unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) semisweet chocolate chips
    1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
    2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
    In large bowl, beat 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and unsweetened chocolate; blend well. At low speed, blend in flour and salt. By hand, stir in chocolate chips. Shape into 1" balls; place on prepared cookie sheets. Bake @ 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
    In small bowl, combine 1/4 c. confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Roll cooled cookies in cocoa mixture. 4 dozen cookies.

*For a pretty presentation, place cookies in paper candy cups.

False

These cookies are requested at every get together, and at Christmas time....they can also be made ahead and frozen with the glaze....a BIG time saver!!!

ITALIAN COOKIES

1/2 c. butter or margarine
    1/4 c. shortening
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    5 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. anise extract (can use vanilla or lemon extract instead)
    GLAZE:
    2 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
    2-4 Tbsp. milk

For cookies: Melt butter and shortening together. Add the sugar; mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the anise extract. Sift or whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture gradually. If the dough is too sticky to roll in the plam of your hand, add flour until firmer, but it should be very soft. Roll dough in small balls (these tend to really puff up with all the baking powder in them!) and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake @ 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (the bottom should be lightly browned but the tops should remain light). Remove cookies to wire rack and cool completely before glazing.
    GLAZE: Mix milk GRADUALLY into confectioners' sugar to make a thick glaze...make sure to keep it on the thick side. Dip top of each cookie into glaze. Sprinkle with colored jimmies or nonpareils while glaze is still wet. (I usually dip 10-12 cookies, return them to the wire rack (with wax paper under the racks to aid in clean up!) and then sprinkle those cookies before starting to dip more.) Makes a lot of cookies, depending on how large you roll them.
    I usually roll the dough into 3/4" balls-maybe a little bit smaller-I get about 100 cookies from one batch when I roll them this size.

False

FIVE-CHIP COOKIES

(Source: The Best of Country Cookies cookbook)

1 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 c. creamy peanut butter
    1 c. sugar
    2/3 c. packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. old-fashioned oats
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2/3 c. EACH milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, semi sweet chocolate chips, vanilla chips and peanut butter chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chips. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4 1/2 dozen.

*This is a recipe I use all the time when I have partial bags of all kinds of baking chips to use up. Don't feel like you have to use all five either-if you only have 3 or 4 different kinds, as long as you come up with the 3 1/3 c. of chips, the cookies are great!

False

TOFFEE OAT COOKIES

(Source: Quick Cooking)

3/4 c. butter (no substitutions), softened
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    3 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. English toffee bits OR 1 (7 1/2 oz.) pkg. almond brickle chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in toffee bits. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake @ 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing cookies from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.

False

I love the basic Gooey Butter Cookie recipe-but when I FINALLY found coconut cake mix, I knew I had to try and come up with a coconut version....they're REALLY good!!!

COCONUT GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES

1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. Duncan Hines coconut cake mix
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 egg
    1 tsp. coconut extract
    3/4-1 c.  sweetened flaked coconut
    Confectioners' sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in egg and cocnut extract until well mixed. Add cake mix; beat until well combined.  Stir in coconut.  If dough is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate 1-2 hours until easy to handle.  Roll dough into 1-1 1/4" balls; roll balls in confectioners' sugar to coat well.  Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes. DO NOT overbake.  Take cookies out of the oven when they look underdone.  Let stand on cookie sheets 1-2 minutes; remove to wire racks and cool completely.  Store airtight.  Makes about 3 dozen.

False

I got this recipe from my daughter Robin....it's a great one to make when I have egg whites left from making chocolate cream pie!!!!!!!!!!!!  These are also really good with the Andes mint chips!!!!

FORGOTTEN COOKIES

2 egg whites, at room temperature
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    1 c. semisweet or milk chocolate chips
    1 c. chopped pecans
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees (I turned it on when the egg whites were partway whipped so I knew it would definitely be up to temperature and good and warm).  
    Beat egg whites to foamy soft peaks.  Gradually add sugar; beat to stiff peaks.  Stir in vanilla, chocolate chips and pecans.  Drop by spoonful onto foil lined cookie sheets.  Place cookie sheets in oven; turn off the oven and forget the cookies overnight.

False

These look SO pretty on a cookie tray.  I don't make them often because almond paste is expensive, but do find special occasions to make them.  The recipe looks complicated but it really isn't. 

RAINBOW VENETIANS
    (Source: Family Circle)

1 (8 oz.) can almond paste
    1 1/2 c. (3 sticks) butter, softened
    1 c. sugar
    4 eggs, separated
    1 tsp. pure almond extract
    2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    10 drops green food coloring
    8 drops red food coloring
    1 (12 oz.) jar apricot preserves
    5 oz. semisweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
     Grease three 9x13" pans; line with wac paper and grease paper.
     Break up almond paste in a large bowl.  Add butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in flour and salt.
     In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into almond mixture.
     Spread 1 1/2 c. batter into one of the prepared pans.*
     Remove 1 1/2 c. batter to a small bowl, mix in the green food coloring, then spread that batter in another prepared pan.
     To the remaining 1 1/2 c. batter, add the red food coloring, then spread it in the remaining prepared pan.
     Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are lughtly golden. (Cakes will only be about 1/4" thick).  Immediately remove cakes from pans onto wire racks and cool completely. (I slide the cakes out of the pan with the excess wax paper that's hanging over the edge-don't try to flip the cake out.....TRUST ME...it WILL BREAK!!!!).
     Line a jelly roll pan with wax paper.
     Heat the apricot preserves in a small saucepan; strain.
     Place the green layer on the jelly roll pan. Spread half of the warm preserves on this layer all the way to the edges.
     Add the yellow layer on top; spread with remaining preserves.
     Place the pink layer, top-side up, on the yellow layer.
     Cover with plastic wrap.  Weigh down with a large cutting board or heavy flat tray.  Refrigerate overnight.
     Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water.  
     Trim cake edges even. Cut cake crosswise into 1" wide strips.  Frost tops with chocolate; lay each strip on its side and frost the bottom. Allow chocolate to dry.** Cut into 2" pieces.
     *I divide the batter between 3 small bowls-when I measure the 1 1/2 c., I always have some batter left over so I divide it evenly between the 3 bowls, that way I can hope that the 3 layers are about the same thickness!!!!
      **A friend of mine gave me a great hint that I'm going to use next time when applying the chocolate to these.....she spreads the chocolate on the whole top of the cookie, lets it harden, flips the cookie over and frosts the other side, then lets the chocolate harden again.  When she slices them, she dips the knife in water and wipes it clean between each slice.  That's a great idea-have to tell you-applying chocolate to each individual strip is quite messy-at least for me!  I'll be using her trick the next time I make these for sure!!!!!!!!!!
    False