Need easy, quick vacation meal ideas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need easy, quick vacation meal ideas

Last post Jul 12, 2013 12:06 PM by klm525 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Need easy, quick vacation meal ideas

In August, we're taking our annual trip to Wisconsin. We rent a condo that is equipped with a kitchen and grill. I'm taking hamburgers and hotdogs for a few lunches, breakfast sausage, bagels and eggs for breakfast, but was wondering if anyone has additional ideas. We'll eat out a couple of times (pizza).

I don't want to have to buy a lot of groceries, nor do I want leftover food to bring back home.  

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks! (there are 5 of us - 2 adults, 3 picky kids)

False
  • Re: Need easy, quick vacation meal ideas

Spaghetti is always simple and usually everyone likes that.

I'd get some chicken~you can grill it up one night and use the leftovers for chicken salad.  Do the kids like Ranch dressing?  Chop up the chicken and mix with ranch dressing and make as sandwiches or serve on lettuce.  You could grill up potatoes on the grill too, or any veggies really.  Corn on the cob is excellent on the grill.

Do they like egg salad sandwiches for lunch?  How about BLT's?  I would save hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner a couple nights, and serve baked beans.  Go with cold sandwiches for lunch maybe?

False

I don't know what your kids like, but most enjoy spaghetti. I would make Foodguy's spaghetti sauce which is delicious and easy or buy jarred sauce. Add a salad and garlic bread and you have a quick, easy and delicious meal.

Another easy one is Foodguy's Wife's Oven Fried chicken. You could buy the tub of mashed potatoes that just need to be microwaved to go with the fried chicken and gravy. Add a frozen veggie and some applesauce.

Another very easy meat is pork tenderloin. Just season with Montreal steak seasoning and bake until internal temp is 160 - less than 30 minutes. You could always make some boxed mac and cheese as this is usually a kid pleaser and you don't need a lot of ingredients.

You could also buy some Stouffer's meals and just pop them in the oven - the lasagna is pretty good for frozen.

Have fun on vacation!

False

Can you pick up things like coleslaw and macaroni salad at a deli when you get there?  Those would be good sides for a couple of days.  What about grilled cheese sandwiches?  You could add deli ham in there if you wanted it a little more substantial.  Are the kids fruit eaters?  Most grocery store delis even have fruit salad made up ahead and you could use that during a lunch.  If they will eat raw veggies with ranch dressing, make that as a side one night for dinner rather than a full salad or cooked veggies.

False

I always made chicken ahead for our vacations.  Take chicken breast - cut into three or four equal parts.  Pound flat with meat mallet.  Dip in egg - dip in bread crumbs with italian seasoning and parmesean cheese.  Fry in oil - these will cook quickly due to them being so thin.  This is great finger food - we could eat it in the car or on the hiking trail without any bones to mess with. 

I always made spaghetti sauce ahead and made that one of our meals.  I would take it frozen and let it thaw in the cooler while we camped.  It would never be our first meal.  Bagged salad is great for traveling. 

Another great meal is sloppy joes and canned fruit.  It isn't the fanciest, but when we are on vacation, I try to be too.  It is no fun if you have to do a lot of cooking.  If you are lucky you will find a road stand with corn and tomatoes. 

Have a great vacation.

Janet

False

When we stay at a cabin with a small kitchen we like make-your-own tacos (or taco salad) using a dry taco mix, Smoked sausage with boxed mac & cheese plus a veggie, sloppy joes with chips and dip, coney dogs with chili, cheese, onions etc. and pancakes for breakfast or supper with breakfast sausage or bacon. I copied a recipe for a pancake mix from the BB here. I think it would be a helpful thing to store in a zip loc bag and take on a trip.

Pancake Mix

This mixture makes light and fluffy pancakes and is better than any purchased pancake mix. Keeps well for months and need not be refrigerated.

6 cups flour

2 cups dry instant powdered milk

6 Tablespoons baking powder

6 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon salt

Combine flour, powdered milk, baking powder, sugar and salt. Sift several times. It's important to mix well.

To make pancakes, use 1 1/2 cups dry mix, 1 cup water, 1 egg and 2 tablespoons oil. Beat until smooth and fry in hot oil.

False
    "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and he who plants kindness gathers love."

If you have access to a kitchen, what about grilled cheese, quesidillas (cheese or with meat), hamburger helper, what about buying a bag of frozen meatballs and making meatball subs, spaghetti and meatballs, stroganoff with meatballs.... I usually don't like to have the processed foods in our house, but vacation is different, it is vacation for me too, so I appreciate quick easy meals and we save soooo much money.  Have fun!!!

False

Buy several boxes of Kraft's macaroni and cheese (or any brand you prefer.)  One night serve it with hot dogs sliced up into it.  Another night add a can of drained tuna and a can of drained peas (or stewed tomatoes).  Still another night, add browned hamburger, can of tomato soup and some chile powder.  This bakes with a topping of shredded cheese.  Or use the browned hamburger meat and combine with sour cream and bake topped with shredded cheese.  On still another night stir thick n' chunky salsa into the mac and cheese along with some cooked chicken.  Top with shredded cheese and bake till heated through.  Or add cooked broccolli and corn with the chicken, using the veggies as stir-ins or toppers.  On the last night you might want to try a pizza casserole by mixing a jar of spaghetti sauce into the  prepared mac and cheese.  Layer half of this into a baking pan and top with a layer of pepperoni and shredded mozzarella cheese.  Add rest of macaroni mixture and top this with more pepperoni and cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees until melted and bubbly.   Or perhaps you'd prefer a taco casserole.  Prepare a lb. of ground beef with a pkg. of taco seasoning mix as directed.  Stir this into the prepared macaroni and cheese.  Add chopped tomatoes and chopped green onions.  You can substitute Ro-tel tomatoes with chiles for the taco seasoning mix.  Another idea:  Pour the heated can of Ro-tel over the cooked mac and cheese then sprinkle with shredded cheese. 

All these ideas came from this bulletin board but I did not keep track of the people who submitted the ideas.  So sorry, my apologies.  So many great ideas.....

Lorraine

False

dgood26 mentioned Meatball Stroganoff.  Here's a quick and simple recipe I came across:

Quick Meatball Stroganoff

Beef/Pork  Dinner  Beef/Pork Dinner 
    Submitted by LITTLE_BIT

Ingredients

32 Rosina Swedish Meatballs
    10 oz. Cream of Chicken Soup
    (Can also use Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom)
    1/2 cup Chicken stock or water
    10 oz. sliced Mushrooms
    1/2 cup Sour Cream
    Broad Egg Noodles (Cooked)

Directions

Thaw meatballs in microwave 2-3 minutes.
    Combine soup and stock in large sauce pan and heat, stirring constantly.
    Add meatballs and mushrooms.
    Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
    Add sour cream and heat without boiling.
    Spoon over cooked egg noodles.

Number of Servings: 4

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LITTLE_BIT.
    Number of Servings: 4

False

Yes

False
    We rent a condo at the each in Fl almost every summer, and do pretty much the same thing. We have simple breakfast foods, eggs, bacon( i buy the pre cooked kind) and sandwhich stuff with fresh veggies and fruit for lunches. For dinners we try to take advantage of fresh, local seafood, either in a restaurant, or cooked in the condo. I usually try to make some dinners ahead and freeze them to thaw and heat, casseroles and spaghetti and meatballs come to mind. Just freeze in a foil pan, thaw in the fridge overnight, and pop it in the oven. When dinner is over throw the pan away!! At the end of the week, we finish the leftovers, sometimes having breakfast for dinner. We frequently just leave leftover staples like butter or seasonings in the condo for future guests. Just put it in a ziplock bag with a date and a note for them to enjoy. Hope this helps!!
    False

Thank you for your ideas.

False