ISO: Strawberry and Jalapeno Jam recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Strawberry and Jalapeno Jam recipe

Last post Nov 02, 2008 9:11 AM by not4u2c . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ISO: Strawberry and Jalapeno Jam recipe

would anyone have a recipe for Strawberry and Jalapeno Jam. I saw a recipe that calls for it and I thought it would be an intresting combination. Thanks
    False
  • Re: ISO: Strawberry and Jalapeno Jam recipe

Here is one that's made in the microwave, it could probably be done stove-top also.  It doesn't call for processing but I would.

Microwave Strawberry-Jalepeno Jam
  • 3 cups crushed strawberries
  • 2 cups chopped jalapenos
  • 1 package (1-¾ oz.) powderred fruit pectin (approx. 60 g.)
  • 7 cups sugar
  • Combine fruit (including juice) with pectin in a 4-quart microwave-proof bowl or casserole. Cook covered on high for 10 to 11 minutes or until mixture boils. Stir once during cooking. Stir in sugar.

Cook covered on high for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture boils hard for at least one minute. Skim off any foam that has accumulated on top of the mixture. Pour into hot sterilized jelly glasses or jars and seal.

False

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam

3 3/4 cups of crushed strawberries

1 cup of finely chopped jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup of bottled lemon juice

7 cups of sugar

1 package of pectin powder

Wash, hull and crush strawberries, one layer at a time measuring 3 3/4 cups. Place in a deep saucepan. Add lemon juice and pectin. Stir to combine throughly. Bring to a boil and add the sugar. Stir well to disolve. Bring back up to a boil and boil hard for one minutes.

Remove from heat and ladle into hot sterilized jars, aplly lid and bands and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove from canner and allow to cool and set for 24 hours.

**NOTES: I add 1/2 tsp of butter to all my jellies to prevent bubbly scum from forming from the boiling process and I really never have to skim my jellies anymore!!!!! I add this after the first boil.

For a nice vibrant color in my jellies I will use a drop or 2 of food coloring for show stopping colors! This is completely fine and food safe!

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

OOPS.....we posted at the same time so I took my post of the same recipe off.....sorry about that!!!!!Embarrassed

False

Hi, I tried this recipe last week. I've got to say I don't think this is what I was hoping for. The jalapeno in the jam had no heat at all! Is this recipe meant to be very mild - no heat, just a pepper flavor? Or will it heat up after it has "cured" for some time? I had found a few other recipes online for this jam, but I thought that yours sounded like the right portions of ingredients... maybe what I was looking for should have more jalapenos in the recipe? Or.... do you think my peppers were just "duds"? I don't know, because I have never cooked anything else with jalapeno  before

False

Hi Misteeree, I just made my first Hot Pepper with Raspberries Jelly this week and boy did I have a time getting any heat in it. Here's the recipe and i'll tell ya what i had to do. It also has all the notes from people who had reviewed it and I chose to use some Raspberries in mine because I thought it would taste great and produce a natural pink/red color without having to use any food coloring. I chose some "Fresco" red peppers ( beautiful bright red jalapenos which were supposed to be hot) I used 9 of them and a 20 ounce pkg of raspberries. Because I didn't want any "bits" of anything in the jelly that I might not be able to strain out, I just chopped them and 1 red bell pepper up, (seeds ,membrane and all) and put them in the vinegar and sugar and cooked them for bout10 minutes. ( plenty of time to get the "heat" out of the peppers. then finished as per the recipe. When I tasted it there was no heat at all to it. I could have eaten it with a spoon and not burned my mouth LOL Soooooooo I went back to the store and bought 1 green jalapeno. Took it home, sliced it across in 1/8" round slices, took about a cup of the finished jelly out and reheated it with those slices of jalapeno in it, and BOY! when I strained it and added it back into my jelly, it's hotter than holy hanna now LOL. I bought the "Fresco" peppers labled as Hot Peppers. but since I didn't taste one before I cooked them, i'm not sure if  they were hot or not. Anyway that 1 green jalapeno did the trick for me and i'll never buy any more of the "Fresco" red jalapenos again. Oh, and my jelly set up beautifully without thre water bath and it's a pretty pink color. 

Hot Pepper Jelly

Ingredients
    2/3 cup hot pepper (this amount can vary according to what type of peppers used
    and how hot you want your jelly.)
    1 bell pepper
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 (8 ounce) bottle Certo or 2 packets Certo
    1 teaspoon food coloring (red or green I use red for hotter jelly-green for milder jelly)
    Directions
    Chop peppers and put in blender with vinegar.
    Blend well and pour into large boiler.
    Add sugar and mix well.
    Bring mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minute.
    Remove from heat, strain through seive and return liquid back to a boil.
    Boil for 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat
    Add Certo and food coloring quickly.
    Put into 6 (1/2 pint) jars and seal.
    I use heated seal method, where I heat the lids in boiling water, place on jar, secure ring tightly and turn jar upside down for 5 minutes.

Turn jar up correctly and allow to cool completely before storing.
    This recipe is great. I made two batches, the first with jalapenos and a bell pepper.
    For the second batch I used two containers of fresh raspberries along with about 5 habaneros.
     Wow, the raspberry habanero was fantastic!
    The only other thing I did different was to do a full canning where I processed the jars after the fact
    (roughly 5 to 10 minutes). This was my first time canning and it was a great recipe to start off with.
     Thanks for sharing Jellyqueen!
    I don't like touching the peppers so I just stick them in as is into the blender with the vinegar. It set up beautifuly.
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet but my sister did and she loved it. The second batch I used raspberries as suggested
     in one of the reviews. They were frozen ones that I received from my FIL and they were packed in a medium ziploc
     (so I'm not sure of the measurement). I didn't use all the juice that was in the bag after they thawed
     (maybe about half of the juice and all the berries)... I also included 6 jalapenos and 1 habanero for good measure.
     I tried it this weekend and it was just heaven. Thank you so much for making me look like a kitchen goddess
     with this recipe! Also, I do the whole water bath process on these even though it doesn't say to in the recipe.
    I'm serving this up on some cream cheese for our Thanksgiving dinner at church on Sunday and am making more for
    CHRISTmas baskets. Thank you, Jellyqueen!
    I served it at a party, poured over cream cheese and served with crackers
    I left the seeds in some of my pepper so the jelly has a kick. It's great on a cracker with cream cheese
    and will be making the brie kisses one of these days
    I used 5 jalapenos and left the seeds and membrane of 2, and I didn't strain it. I found this was hot enough for a novice.
     I went with red food colouring so it turned out a nice rosy pink. This jelly even took first place at our local fair!
    I used 7 Jalapeno Peppers and removing the seeds in all but 2 of them. I added 1 green pepper and
    added about 4 drops of green food coloring to give it a great color. I actually ended up using apple cider vinegar
    as I was out of white vinegar and it tasted delicious! I only used 1 pkg of certo and I was very happy with the consistancy.
    I used 4 scotch bonnets, 5 or so Habs and 1 big sweet pepper. I used apple cider instead of regular vinegar.
    I used two packages of Ball powered pectin and they turned out to be a good consistency
    I made two batches, the first with jalapenos and a bell pepper. For the second batch I used two containers of
    fresh raspberries along with about 5 habaneros. Wow, the raspberry habanero was fantastic!
    The only other thing I did different was to do a full canning where I processed the jars after the fact
     (roughly 5 to 10 minutes).
    The jalapeno jelly was perfect for the muffins and or corn bread.

False

Jalapenos really don't have a lot of heat. You need a smaller pepper for some firey kick. Here is a great recipe using Habaneros.

Habanaro Gold

1/3 cup of finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup of white vinegar
    1/4 cup EACH: finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper & seeded habanero or Jalapeno peppers
    3 cups of sugar
    1 pouch of liquid pectin

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine apricots and vinegar. Cover and let stand at least 4 hours.

Add red onion, red and habanero peppers and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam and stir to disperse peppers. Ladle jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Heat process jar in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I have 2 quart jars of canned jalapenos someone gave me because they love the strawberry jalapeno jam I make at Christmas and thought I could use them in my jam this year.   I use frozen strawberries, but I have always used fresh jalapenos.  Do you think Canned Jalapenos will work in this recipe?

False