ISO: Very tender chicken recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Very tender chicken recipe

Last post Jul 29, 2008 6:25 PM by arelabs . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • ISO: Very tender chicken recipe

I had a simple, but very tender, boneless, skinless chicken dish at a restaurant and wished I could make something similar.  I seem to have bad luck baking chicken.  Does anyone have a recipe for a baked boneless chicken dish that leaves the chicken tender?  Thanks for any help. 

False
  • Re: ISO: Very tender chicken recipe

Crock pot recipes will definitely tenderize the chicken.  Or, use a marinade & then cook them.  Was the chicken at the restaurant plain, have a sauce, cooked & served w/noodles or dumplings - was it grilled, baked, fried, poached, cooked in a casserole?  We like beer-can chicken...after about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour on the grill (mounted on a can of beer)....that turns out moist & tender, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

False

It was just cooked with some herbs on it, no sauce.  I think it was baked since there were no grill marks on it.  It definitely wasn't fried.  I am not necessarily looking for the same recipe that I had, just any chicken recipe I can cook in the oven that doesn't try out.  I've tried marinating and it often does make the inside tender, but I seem to dry it out on the outside.  Maybe instead of a recipe, I just need a tip on how to cook chicken.  Thanks so much for the reply.

False

You can use boneless chicken pieces for this - but I usually don't.  It can also be finished in the crock pot.   I guarantee it's nice and tender!

• Smothered Chicken

1 whole chicken – cut-up – or your favorite chicken parts
    plain flour - for flouring chicken - and gravy
    salt (not too much)
    pepper (freshly ground)
    paprika (dash)

You can  add your favorite seasonings if you wish, e.g. seasoning salt, etc.
    Good vegetable oil, e.g. canola, peanut
    Can of cream of  chicken soup
    1  chicken bouillon cube
    water and milk to add to gravy (Have water in pitcher ready to use) 

I generally rinse out the chicken soup can w/ water and/or milk –

fill the can up and stir to “rinse” soup out.  Do add milk – at least

about a can (amt.) as it adds some richness to the gravy.  

Rinse chicken  in cool water and dredge in seasoned flour

(can add your own seasonings to taste) and lay out on plate

or rack to rest and allow flour to adhere to chicken. Heat oil

(about 2 inches) in large skillet to aprox. 350 degrees.

Brown chicken, turning once. The pieces do not have to be fully cooked,

just beautifully golden brown. Remove chicken  from oil to paper towel

lined platter. Pour most of oil into a storage container, leaving just enough

(2 or 3 Tbs.) in skillet to make a proper roux. Leave crusty bits and dregs

in skillet also. Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of flour (I always use the leftover

dredging flour as it is already seasoned) or enough to mix with the remaining drippings in skillet over medium heat.

Stir and watch the flour carefully, as you do not want it to brown too much,

or burn. Have your additional water ready to pour in after the flour is cooked

and thick. Keep stirring (preferably with a large fork or flat whisk) until there

are no lumps and all is incorporated. Then add your cream of chicken soup.

Pour some milk in the can, setting aside, and continue stirring

(and adding milk) until your gravy is the proper consistency.

You can always add more water or milk. You want it (gravy) to be

rather thin – not watery, though, – as the mixture will thicken when

you add the chicken back into the gravy.

Add your bouillon cube at this time, stirring (and tasting) all the while.

When the gravy tastes and looks like you want it to – return your chops

to the skillet w/ gravy. Cover and simmer until chops are very tender –

if you want to cook the chicken on top of the stove.  

Most of the time – I place the chicken in an oblong casserole dish –

pour the gravy over the chicken (making sure it’s not too thick

(it will thicken as it bakes).    You can refrigerate it (covered) at this point

but make sure when you bake it if it’s been refrigerated that you

allow extra baking time.  

Bake chicken in a covered casserole dish (you can use foil)

in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.We always served it over rice – but that’s a personal preference.

Tria
    False
    Tria

Thanks for that recipe.  We would eat it with rice too.  It sounds pretty easy.  I hope you already had that on your computer because that's a lot of typing.  I put it in my file.  Thank you!

False
    Your honey garlic chicken was our dinner tonight with corn pudding and Tedebear's Grandma's hot rolls. It was a real feast on this cold snowy day. -Linda

Posted by: plumcrazy_alta Posted on: 4/14/2004 10:39:03 AM
    #R3465762
    HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN

1 cutup fryer laid in 9x13 pan
    Spread in order over chicken and DO NOT MIX

1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp dry mustard
    4 cloves minced garlic
    2 Tbs soy sauce
    1/2 cup honey

Bake uncovered 1 hour in 350 degree oven. Delish!

Any type of chicken pieces work great for this
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

Thank you.  I'm sure it would take less than an hour with boneless chicken.  Sounds great.

False

I know people have made this recipe and loved it. The chicken came out tmoist and ender (they used Perdue chicken).

Pineapple Chicken Bake

False
    Hillary Recipe4Living.com

Thanks.  That looks good and easy!

False

I use an Italian Fried Chicken recipe that is really good.   Mix equal parts of flour and parmesan cheese, add  1 teaspoon dried Basil and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.   I like to use chicken tenders or equal sized portions of boneless skinless chicken breasts.  Dip the chicken in buttermilk and then roll in the dry mixture.   Use 3-4 tablespoons of Olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.  Brown each side of chicken then lower heat and turn occasionly.  I usually put the lid on my skillet after browning both sides and this helps to keep the chicken moist.

My DH really likes this method for chicken as he doesn't really care that much for chicken.  The tenders really cook quickly and are tender.   Using the buttermilk adds flavor as well as providing a surface to get a complete coating.  I usually put all of the dry ingredients in a plastic bag and shake the pieces to cover.  This allows for a quick clean up!!

Kytraveler 

False

Brining makes a chicken tender, regardless of what you do to it after.  I buy Tyson Boneless Skinless chicken breasts, resturant portions, in a 10lb bag at Sam's club.  Those babies are tender no matter what.  I can throw them on a cookie sheet or on the grill - frozen- and they still come out fork tender.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

there was a chicken recipe that i just tried in the 2002 taste of Home annual recipe book.  It was called baked garlic chicken.  My family really liked it.  It was made with savory herb with garlic soup mix, so it has a little garlic in it.  my family loves spices, especially garlic.  If you would like it I can put it on my next message.  I am new to this group.  I love taste of home cookbooks.

False

Thanks for the other replies!  If you happen to see this, dmomof3, and would like to post that recipe, I'd love it.  Thanks.

False

This is a vry easy and really dellicious recipe posted by Nancy NJ that I have made many times.

Friday Night Bistro Chicken
    Posted by Nancy_NJ

2 tablespoons butter (only used one)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1 teaspoon salt (omitted)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped shallots (or onion)
    1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
    1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
    1 can Campbell's condensed French Onion Soup
    1 cup grated Swiss cheese (This cheese really helped make the dish)

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with half the salt and pepper, reserving the rest for the sauce. Pan-fry the chicken until both sides are golden but the chicken is not cooked through.

Remove the chicken from the skillet, add the shallots or onion, and cook stirring, until they are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook until the sauce has reduced a bit, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the soup and cook another 4 minutes, seasoning with the remaining salt and pepper.

Return the chicken to the skillet, cover with the cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Barb

False

For the past year or so I've found the frozen boneless, skinless IQF (indiviually quick frozen)breast to be tough no matter how they are fixed.  I've quit buying them.  I will buy chicken tenders or non frozen boneless skinless breasts.  

That being said, I've found over cooking them really makes them tough.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast