ISO recipe for gobs using a choc. cake mix | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO recipe for gobs using a choc. cake mix

Last post Jul 31, 2008 12:37 PM by Sassymissy . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • ISO recipe for gobs using a choc. cake mix

Does anyone have a recipe for making gobs using a chocolate cake mix.  The one I have, after it is wrapped in saran wrap, sticks to the saran.  I was wondering if there is a recipe that this does not happen.  Thanks for your help.    Vi

False
  • Re: ISO recipe for gobs using a choc. cake mix

Hi Vi;

Here's one I found for you using cake mix...I've never made it so I can't tell you if the cookie will stick to the plastic wrap. The second recipe is from scratch and one of my favorites-and I know for a fact that the cookie doesn't stick to plastic wrap.  It's easy to throw together too-and the filling can be made ahead and stuck in the refrigerator.  Hope this helps you out!

Carol

EASY GOBS  

1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. dark chocolate cake mix
    1 c. all-purpose flour
    3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa

Mix cake mix following directions on package adding the flour and cocoa. Mix well. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes depending on size of spoon used. Remove from oven, cool and pair up. Fill with filling.

FILLING:

4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 c. milk
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 c. sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix flour and milk in saucepan. Cook over low heat until thick. Put in bowl and cool. Cream butter and shortening 4 minutes with electric mixer. Add sugar gradually and beat 4 minutes. Add flour paste and beat 4 more minutes. Add vanilla and blend.
    *****************************************************************************************************

This is my good friend Susan's recipe....she calls them Devil Dogs...I call them Whoopie Pies...my son in law Ray calls them one of his favorites!  I made them small for the party today-more to go around!!!!

DEVIL DOGS

COOKIES:
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 c. sour milk (place 1 tsp. lemon juice or white vinegar in a glass measuring cup-add milk to the 1/2 c. line; stir and let stand for 5 minutes)

Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.  Combine flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa; add to creamed mixture and combine. Add milk and mix well.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (when I make these, I add a little more flour to the batter-just enough so I can roll the batter into balls-this makes it easier to match up the cookies for filling). Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.

FILLING:
    1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. shortening
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, combine flour, cornstarch and milk; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.  Place mixture in a small bowl, cover with a paper towel and cool completely. When cooled, place in bowl of electric mixer; beat until fluffy.  Add shortening, sugar and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Continue beating on medium to high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, about 5-10 minutes. Spread on half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
    False
  • Re: ISO recipe for gobs using a choc. cake mix

Thanks Carol,  I have a cake mix, so I will try it out today,,,However, I am really going to try your devil dogs,,they sound great...and it will fit the little devils I make them for...Ha Ha   Really, they are just the little kids that live in the neighborhood who come here for cookies, and this old Grandma usually has some for them.  I just thought it would be easier using a cake mix, but the devil dogs sound like they would be worth the extra effort...Thanks so much     Vi

False