Tast tested with the Neeleys | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Tast tested with the Neeleys

Last post Feb 09, 2011 3:23 PM by ctct2 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Tast tested with the Neeleys

I was watching the Neeleys in Kansas City today and was called away just when the recipe for the pound cake topping casme on. Did anyone get it, I hope Mari

False
  • Re: Tast tested with the Neeleys

Hi...I found this on the food network,,,it said the air date

was 8/9.....hope this is what you were looking for.  The topping is at the bottom

Twila*

3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
    3 cups sugar
    6 large eggs, room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon lemon extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup sour cream
    Ice cream
    Toppings such as chocolate candies, crumbled chocolate sandwich cookies, toasted nuts
    Chocolate syrup
    Raspberry Topping, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 1/2 by 3 3/8-inch Bundt pan. Cream 2 sticks of the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and lemon extracts and mix well. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add 1/3 of dry mixture to creamed mixture and beat on low until mixed. Mix in half of the sour cream. Alternate between the flour mixture and sour cream. Pour cake mixture into the Bundt pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a cake tester inserted in cake comes about with a few crumbs clinging. Cool 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Preheat grill. Melt remaining butter and slice cake. Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of cake with butter. Grill on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from grill. Cool slightly. Cut slices into bite-size pieces. To create sundaes, fill a bowl with ice cream, add pound cake and sprinkle on toppings. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and garnish with Raspberry Topping.

Raspberry Topping:
    3 cups raspberries
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    6 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons raspberry jelly

Combine all ingredients in pot and let simmer until thickened.

Recipe from "Down Home With The Neeley's

Food network

False

Photobucket

Thank you Twilia. That must be it. Mari

False

Mari, I don't believe that is the one.  He used brown sugar in the pound cake and then made a topping of brown sugar, butter, and pecans - poured on right before he served it.  I didn't get the measurements of the topping.  Sorry.

Carolyn

False

i believe the caramel topping is this:

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp butter

2 tbsp light corn syrup

2 tbsp whipping cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans

False

I've watched it about 3 times.  He gives all the amounts for the ingredients except for the flour, buttermilk and pecans. I think they don't want him to give the entire recipe because Pat says to add the flour, buttermilk and pecans not Donnell.  If anyone can figure out the rest, it sounds like a good recipe.

This is what I have.

2 sticks unsalted butter

2 cups light brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

5 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

? flour

? buttermilk

? pecans.

He creamed the butter with the sugars, added the eggs and vanilla.  Then he added the some of the dry ingredients,  buttermilk, rest of the dry, mixed well, put it in a tube pan and baked it at 350 for 1 hr.  After baking, he topped it with the caramel topping.

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. corn syrup

2 tbsp. heavy cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans

False

yes, i have watched the show quite a few times myself with pen and paper ready to write down the entire recipe. i am going to make this cake because it looks so good and add 3 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1 cup chopped pecans. it must not be anymore flour than this because the cake only bakes 1 hour. do you think that will be the correct amount of the questionable ingredients? also i found the same glaze as darnell's that says to boil the glaze for 12 to 14 minutes, then stir in the vanilla and pour the hot glaze over the cake. i guess trial and error will work best.

False

Many thanks to each of you. Mississippimama if you try this with your measurments please let me know. One of my hospice patients saw the show and really wanted to try a bite, Would love to please her. Mari

False

mississippimama

yes, i have watched the show quite a few times myself with pen and paper ready to write down the entire recipe. i am going to make this cake because it looks so good and add 3 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1 cup chopped pecans. it must not be anymore flour than this because the cake only bakes 1 hour. do you think that will be the correct amount of the questionable ingredients? also i found the same glaze as darnell's that says to boil the glaze for 12 to 14 minutes, then stir in the vanilla and pour the hot glaze over the cake. i guess trial and error will work best.

This is from TOH site.  It's very similar.

Caramel Pecan Pound Cake

My state is known for the delicious pecans it produces, so this recipe definitely represents Georgia. The pecan flavor comes through nicely in this cake.

SERVINGS

CATEGORY

Dessert

METHOD

Baked

PREP

20 min.

COOK

90 min.

TOTAL

110 min.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup butter, softened
    • 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 5 eggs
    • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup finely chopped pecans
    • Confectioners' sugar
    • Fresh fruit, optional

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.. Beat on low speed just until blended. Fold in pecans.
          Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: 16 servings.

False

I've made this pound cake before; you can go to foodtv.com and get their recipe.

False

i made the foodnetwork pound cake (recipe above) and used narnel's caramel glaze recipe. the cake was really moist and the glaze was great. while the glaze was hot i poured it over the pound cake. a really good cake in my opinion. the reason i didn't use the recipe from the show was because i was unsure of the exact ingredient amounts.

False

Hello mississippimama,

Did you ever try your best guess on the missing ingredients?  I have been debated making it for Christmas.

I found the following recipe which was about as close as the one he provided to us minus the specific ones we all questioned.

Thank you!

The recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook and makes 2 loaves. We didn't have any buttermilk at home so I substituted milk with about a teaspoon of distilled white vinegar to give it a sour taste. It still turned out well and my testers were none the wiser, but using real buttermilk would probably be even better.

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature x
    • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
    • 5 large eggs
    • 3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Butter two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans and set aside.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined.

Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, and smooth with an offset spatula.

Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until cakes are golden brown and a cake tester (a toothpick) inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 1 hour. (It only took about 45 minutes for these to bake. I suggest checking them after 40 minutes or so.) Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes onto the rack to cool completely.

The loaves popped right of the pan, which is extremely satisfying

False
    I made the cake according to the recipe from the show. As for the missing ingredients I used 3 cups of flour 1 cup of buttermilk 1 cup of pecans. It turned out great. I cannot wait to make another one.
    False

I found this recipe on the Internet.  The website is http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art21518.asp.  The ingredients seems to be close to the Kansas City Caramel Pecan Cake the Neeleys video on Food Network.

Caramel Pecan Cake

Ingredients:

2 cups of granulated sugar
    2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup of sour cream
    6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
    2 ½ cups of cake flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
    ¾ cup of buttermilk
    2 cups of light brown sugar
    1/3 cup of water
    1 ¼ cup of heavy cream
    4 tablespoons of salted butter
    ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla
    1 cup of chopped pecans (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans or two 9-inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer still running, add each egg yolk one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the sour cream and mix well.

Sift together flour and baking soda. Alternately add flour and buttermilk to the batter, mixing well.

In a separate bowl, whip egg whites into stiff peaks. Make sure bowl and beaters are thoroughly clean, are the egg whites will not whip. Fold egg whites into cake batter. Adding teaspoon of vanilla and mix. (Batter will be thick.)

Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake until the center springs back when touched. Approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire wracks. Make sure cakes are completely cooled before inverting and frosting.

Caramel Pecan Icing

As the cake is baking, mix sugar and water into a heavy-bottom sauce pan, until sugar is dissolved. Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes. Do not stir. After 10 minutes, increase heat to medium and boil mixture for about 5-7 minutes until it is a chestnut brown color. (Be careful, it is a very hot mixture.) Use a wooden spoon to stir, or gently swirl the pan to mix if you do not have a wooden spoon.

Be sure to watch the caramel mixture, as it can burn quickly. Turn the heat off, and stand back as you add the heavy cream, as it will violently boil. The caramel will get hard. Turn the heat back on to a low simmer and stir constantly for two minutes until caramel is smooth and soft. Transfer to a bowl. Place the butter and ½ teaspoon of vanilla on top. Do not stir. Allow the butter to melt as the caramel cools to room temperature. (about 2 ½ to 3 hours.) Once the caramel is completely cooled, add the 1 cup of chopped pecans.*

Spread each layer of cake with the caramel pecan icing. Gently pour the remaining icing over the cake, being sure to frost the sides of the cake, as well.

Voila! Caramel Pecan Cake! Enjoy!

False