Can you buy frozen Hush Puppies? or is there a mix you can buy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you buy frozen Hush Puppies? or is there a mix you can buy

Last post Aug 12, 2008 7:11 PM by bdett . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can you buy frozen Hush Puppies? or is there a mix you can buy

Been looking and haven't found any

False
  • Re: Can you buy frozen Hush Puppies? or is there a mix you can buy

Around here Wal Mart has them in the frozen food section and has a mix in the flour/sugar aisle. Depo!!!

False

You can buy frozen but their not as good.  Look in the store next to the Jiffy mix and get the one mix with onions or add your own grated onions in before cooking they are really good this way.  We even like them with a sweet honey butter.

Cheryl

False

I buy a mix when we go to N.C. I get the 1 w/ onions in them.

Debbie

False

If you live in the south - you'll find several brands of hushpuppy mix near the cornmeal and flour displays.  Also - several of the corn meal boxes also have recipes on their packages/boxes.  This is a recipe from Paula Dean - it really doesn't take long to mix up a batch of hushpuppies and the rewards are great.   You may be trying to avoid the "frying" process - but fresh fried - soooo good.   At a really good fish fry - the batter is spooned/dropped into the hot oil after the fish is fried.   Yummmm!  I've never tried the frozen ones - but as Depoe says - probably not as good.

False
    Tria

Sorry - forgot to "paste" the recipe!

Hushpuppies
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    6 cups peanut oil
    1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
    1/2 cup self-rising flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Using a deep pot, preheat oil for frying to 350 degrees F.
    Using a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the onion. In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil. Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hushpuppy is dropped in the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning the hushpuppies during the cooking process.

False
    Tria

I can get the mix at Wal-Mart and Krogers and Krogers also have Very Good frozen ones..I put mine in a pan and stick in the oven.. less greasy.. and very tasty..  bdett 

False