ISO meal ideas for bereaved and homebound | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO meal ideas for bereaved and homebound

Last post Feb 01, 2009 4:45 PM by Glensgirl5354 . 136 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 10 (137 items) 12345Last >
  • ISO meal ideas for bereaved and homebound
    Hello! I just returned from vacation and was called by the ladies prayer group to cook and deliver a meal for a mother and her 3 children as the husband was hospitalized. The group does this service for new mothers, bereaved family and others in need. The rules are that it should serve four [I try to be generous for leftovers], reheat nicely and be more than opening a can. This time I delivered sloppy joes, potato salad, corn off the cob and chocolate frosted yellow tea cake. After having done this for 4 years I need to know...What would you send to please the family? The hardest part is deciding what to make. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mary
    False
  • RE: ISO meal ideas for bereaved and homebound
    Sounds like a perfect scenario for a casserole. I also bring soup or stew if its winter.

There are about a bazillion casserole recipes posted on these boards, if you'd like I can post some that I've brought to people that have been well received.

False

Thanks so much momma duck...I think I should've worded this differently...maybe..."what would you like to receive if it were you". As I am serving people just like you and me...I am sure everyone has their favorites...I want to know what they are. This is a wonderful group and so imaginative I know I will fill a book with things that will make warm and happy hearts during difficult times. Mary
    False
    For a bereaved family a change might be, because breakfast is sometimes forgotten, a breakfast cassarole, muffins or biscuits, jam, orange juice, and coffee. Lots of times there are relatives spending the night and it is nice to have something just to heat up for a quick breakfast.
    False

OK ... got it! :)

We're a simple family, so the basics work well. Nothing too exotic or bizarre.

One suggestion (and PLEASE I don't mean to sound ungrateful), several years ago I was in a severe car accident and the ladies group fixed meals for our family for 10 days. What a wonderful and kind gesture! It was deeply appreciated ... but (and I do hope this doesn't come across wrong) for about 6 days in a row, dinner was ... spaghetti. EVERYONE brought spaghetti. Some bought baked spaghetti, some brought spaghetti and sauce, some brought spaghetti pie ... but it was spaghetti for 6 nights in a row. And since we were using the leftovers for lunch the next day, it was 12 meals of spaghetti. We ended up freezing the last 3 days of spaghetti meals.

One of the most appreciated meals was (seriously!) a loaf of french bread, a selection of deli meats/cheeses and a relish tray (onions, cucumbers, bell pepper, mushrooms). They also brought some tubs of deli macaroni salad and potato salad and a cantelope. It was yummy!
    False

When I'm not feeling I love a great homemade vegetable soup!

Johanna
    False
    That should read "when I'm not feeling *well*" LOL
    False
    We just took some containers of soups (two kinds) and some bread to a family recently. It was my DH's idea and they told us it was perfect because when the death is such a shock - soup is good on an upset stomach. I also think breads and deli meat cuts are nice so guests staying can help themselves - and the breakfast is a great idea! So many have guests staying and breakfast can be a burden if you're not up to cooking.
    False
    ibsfromnc I hadn't even thought of that...maybe a ham and cheese strata...and coffee cake...hum...Thank you...mary
    False
    mammaduck...I am going to suggest to our group that maybe we could list our menu so the following person would know what had already been received...good thought...thank you. Mary
    False
    JohannaM...That is one of my favorites...not too many people could resist. Thank you. Mary
    False
    This is an excellent question. When our son died in a car accident 15 years ago, my friend brought over a vegetable soup which was about all I could eat. Something light. Chicken noodle soup would also be great. But please no Chili. Somebody brought some Pepsi which hit the spot. I think it was the caffine, this kept me going. Also don't forget paper plates. And all of the other suggestions were excellent. Remember also that it is the thought behind taking something that works best.
    False
    Also, it is good to think of the children-if they are picky, (like 2 out of 3 of mine), a mac & cheese casserole and baked crumb covered fish & candied carrots might please them, with a cake or pie for dessert.
    I have never been on the receiving end, but I can only imagine the mountains of leftovers stuffed into the fridge. My friend said the most appreciated thing they got when her Dad died was dollar roll sandwiches, all made up & ready to go-turkey, ham or roast beef with cheese, chips, pickles, cookies-simple, but it hit the spot. Not too much heavy food. I've done the sandwiches since then for other people, and they really appreciate it. Good luck.
    False
    Hi Dilly, Thank you..I have never sent a beverage...I will be sure to now...Mary
    False
    Mom3Boys, That is always my big concern too adults make do...but the wee ones. What are "dollar Roll sanwishes" haven't heard this term before? Thanks, Mary
    False