Recipes I want to try from Reminisce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes I want to try from Reminisce

Last post Mar 01, 2009 11:31 AM by lindachicken__Oklahoma . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Recipes I want to try from Reminisce

I have a few Reminisce magazines borrowed from a friend, and I am copying some recipes that sound good, that I might want to try.  Maybe some of you might like to try them too.

Special Slow-Cooked Beef

1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 lbs.) cubed

1 TBSP. vegetable oil

1 TBSP. Italian seasoning

1 tsp. salt

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, drained

1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped

1 cup beef broth

1/2 cup fresh pearl onions, peeled

1 TBSP. cornstarch

2 TBSPS. water

In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain.  Transfer to a 5-qt slow cooker.  Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and garlic; top with olives and tomatoes.  Add broth and onions.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender

With a slotted spoon, remove beef and onions to a serving platter and keep warm.  Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat.  Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Spoon over the beef mixture.  Yield: 8 servings.

This recipe was submitted by Juli George of Grandville, Michigan, and was published in  Dec./ Jan 2008 issue of Reminisce .

False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.
  • Re: Recipes I want to try from Reminisce

mapanda....this one sounds terrific. I'd like to see more please. I will make this sometime this week. I love chuck roasts. Thank you

Kathie

False

This one would be a good one to try in the Fall or on New Year's Day.

Black-Eyed Pea Soup

3 bacon strips, diced

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) beef broth

1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium-heat until crisp.  Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. 

In the drippings, saute onion and garlic until tender.  Stir in the broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in black-eyed peas and bacon; heat through.  Yield: 6 servings.

This recipe was submitted by Erin Walstead, of Orange, California, and was published in the Dec/Jan 2008 issue of Reminisce.

Margaret

False

Margaret -- these sound very good, thank you for sharing! 

False

Photobucket

Hi Margaret ~ I know DH would love this special slow cooked beef.  TY for posting!  I love to see Reminisce recipes ~ I got this magazine for my mom and dad awhile ago.

False

Glad I popped in, the recipes look very good and great idea of having the black eyed pea soup for New years Day, I always cook them in some way for our good luck for the year. Connie

False

These sound wonderful.

Thanks

Brenda

False
    Photobucket

I don't know why I stopped posting these recipes.  I guess I got side-tracked and forgot about it.  I still have the magazines.  I really didn't borrow them.  They were in a basket out in the lobby of the apt. bldg. I live in for anyone to pick up.  I thought I would borrow them, read whatever articles I wanted to read, and save the recipes that I liked.  Then I would put it back out there for someone else to enjoy.  I do not have a printer, so I type them on the board so I can find them again. 

I have recently subscribed to this magazine, so I should be getting it pretty soon.

Note:  I am not posting all of them, just the ones that I think I might like to try.  But I will list the ones I am omitting.  If anyone wants me to type any of  them, let me know.  The magazine I am copying these out of is the Feb/Mar 2008 issue. 

Red Flannel Stew

Cheese Poke Muffins

Pear Spinach Salad.

Margaret

False

Chocolate Raspberry Squares

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1-1/2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup cold butter

3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

1 pkg. (11-1/2 oz.) semisweet chocolate chunks

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugars and salt.

Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Set aside 1 cup for topping: press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.  Spread with jam; sprinkle with the chocolate chunks.

Combine the walnuts and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cut into squares.  Yield: 16 servings.

Submitted by Marilyn Swisher of Berrien Center, Michigan.

False

This recipe is for 2 servings.

Parmesan Pork Medallians

1/2 lb. pork tenderloin

2 TBSPS. seasoned bread crumbs

1 TBSP. grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 tsp. salt

Dash pepper

2 tsps. vegetable oil

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

Cut pork into four slices; flatten to 1/4 in. thickness.  In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Add pork, one slice at a time, and turn to coat.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pork in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.  Remove and keep warm.

Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook and stir until tender.  Serve over pork. 

Yield: 2 servings.

Submitted by Angela Ciocca, of Saltsburg, Pennsylvania. 

She commented she found this recipe in an advertisement for pork.

False

Another 2 serving recipe.  I like Brussels Sprouts.

Brussels Sprouts with Leek

10 brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

1 medium leek (white portion only), thinly sliced

1 TBSP. butter

Dash salt

In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and the brussels sprouts to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes.

Add Leek; cover and simmer 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.

Drain; stir in butter and salt. 

Submitted by Patricia Mickelson of San Jose, California

False

Still 2 servings:

Scalloped Potatoes

2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 large)

2 tsps. all-purpose flour

Dash each, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg

2 tsps. butter

2/3 to 1 cup half-and-half cream

1/3 cup shredded Gouda cheese

Place half of the potatoes in a greased small ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour.  Repeat layers.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Dot with butter.

Add enough cream to fill skillet about three-fourths full.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Carefully place skillet in oven.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender.  Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

My comments.  Not sure if I would use nutmeg in this recipe.

Submitted by Lillian Julow, of Gainesville, Florida

False

This recipe serves 3.  Berries, peaches or any fruit can be used for this simple recipe, but the bright cheery bright color of cherries makes it just right for gray winter days.  (Eleanor Jacoby, Eureka, Kansas, the submitter)

Cherry Cobbler

1 cup canned pitted tart cherries

1/3 cup plus 3 TBSPS. sugar, divided

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 TBSP. cold butter

1/4 cup milk

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cherries and 1/3 cup sugar to a boil.  Remove from the heat; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in milk just until moistened.  Spread into a greased 3-cup baking dish; pour cherries over top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and edges are golden brown.  Serve warm. 

Yield: 3 servings.

False

mapanda--Maybe you already know this, but the recipes that you posted can be looked up in the recipe search.  Since you already know the name of the recipe, this might save you a lot of typing.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

thank you for these --  I don't get this mag so these are a real treat! {hugs}

False

Photobucket