Need Banana Muffin/Bread Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Banana Muffin/Bread Recipe

Last post Aug 28, 2008 10:49 AM by carol1229 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Need Banana Muffin/Bread Recipe

Hello friends,

I am looking for a great, moist banana muffin or bread recipe that does not have nuts.  I also want to know if I use a recipe that calls for nuts, do I need to make any adjustments if I leave the nuts out?  I have diverticulitis and cannot have them.  I was given a lot of bananas today and have them in the freezer waiting to be cooked. 

False
  • Re: Need Banana Muffin/Bread Recipe

Click on TOH recipes and write in Banana bread in the search area. There are lots and lots. Nuts can be just left out in most recipes.

False

This has become a family favorite.  My review follows:
    ~~Vicki

========================================

RECIPE REVIEW ~~ Banana Crumb Muffins OR Crumb Cake ~~ YUMMY!

- Thank you, Nycangeleyes for the Banana Crumb Muffin recipe.
    - Thank you, Jmartinelli13 (Jolene) for the suggestion to make it as a 9-inch cake. The only thing I did was add more cinnamon for my cinnamon-loving family.
    ~~Vicki

BANANA CRUMB MUFFINS by nycangeleyes

INGREDIENTS:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder 
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 bananas, mashed 
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/8 cup all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (*dutchmom4 used 1/2 teaspoon)
    1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups (I used 12), or line with muffin papers.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

TO BAKE AS CAKE:
    Make as directed, except pour batter into a greased and floured 9 – inch cake pan. (I used cinnamon sugar instead of flour.) Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

False

This is my mom's recipe, and tastes good with or without nuts.  I leave the nuts out when my son is home from college.

~~Vicki

======================================

This is my Mom's favorite banana bread.

Mom's BANANA NUT BREAD

1-3/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts OR pecans) - optional
    1/2 cup shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)

-- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8 1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2 loaf pan.
    -- Stir together: flour soda, salt, and nuts. Set aside.
    -- Blend shortening and sugar until creamy. Mix in eggs. Add mashed bananas and dry ingredients. Blend well.
    -- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

False

Casselpier shared this recipe using orange juice.  Mmmmm!  Our family enjoyed it.

~~Vicki

===================================

Posted by: casslepier Posted on: 6/3/2003 8:48:31 AM
    #R1631082

I don't think I've seen one with my mom's "secret ingredient" (orange juice). EVERY time I make this people ask for the recipe. Not that you can go wrong with any kind of banana bread! It is extremely moist and yummy! Kim

MOM’S BANANA BREAD
    1 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. liquid shortening (oil)
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 large bananas
    1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mash bananas with fork. Pour in all other ingredients and mix. Grease and flour pan. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour. Makes 1 standard loaf.

False

BANANA BANANA NUT BREAD

1 c. sugar
    8 oz. (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature  
    1 1/2 c. ripe bananas, mashed (about 4 medium)
    1 c. buttermilk
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 (3 1/2 oz.) box instant banana pudding mix
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    Grease two 9”x 5” loaf pans.
    Cream butter and sugar well. Add bananas, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; mix well.
    Add instant pudding, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon, mixing well.
    Slowly add flour, one cup at a time, until well mixed. Add pecans and mix until blended.
    Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

BANANA CREAM CHEESE BREAD

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 c. mashed banana (2-3 medium bananas)
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9x5" loaf pan.
    Combine softenend cream cheese, sugar and butter; blend well. Blend in bananas, vanilla and eggs.
    Combine dry ingredients; add to banana mixture, mixing just until moistened. Fold in nuts. Spread in prepared pan.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

____________________________________________________________________________

CHERRY BANANA BREAD

1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries
    1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
    2/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 c. mashed ripe banana
    1/2 c. chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts

Drain cherries, reserving 2 Tbsp. juice.  Cut cherries into quarters; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
     Combine butter, brown sugar, eggs and reserved cherry juice in a large mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until well mixed. Add flour mixture and mashed bananas alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in drained cherries and nuts.  Lightly spray a 9x5x3" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Spread batter evenly in pan.
     Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from the pan; let cool on a wire rack. To store, wrap bread in plastic wrap. Makes 1 loaf, about 16 slices.

______________________________________________________________________________

CHOCOLATE MARBLED BANANA BREAD

2 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 c. butter, softened
    1 1/2 c. mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
    1/2 c. egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
    1/3 c. plain low-fat yogurt
    1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Measure the flour by spooning into the measuring cups.
    Place flour, salt, and baking soda into a bowl and stir to combine.
    Place sugar and butter into a large mixing bowl and mix to combine, about 1 minute. Add egg, yogurt, and banana. Mix to blend, then add flour mixture. Blend until moist and fully combined. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave or over low heat until just melted. Allow to cool slightly. Add 1 cup of the batter to the chocolate and stir until blended.
    Grease a bread pan and alternate layers of chocolate and plain batter. Using a knife, run it through the batter to create the swirl.
    Bake for 1 hour and 5-15 minutes or until the bread tests done.
    _____________________________________________________________________________ 

PECAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/3 c. butter, softened
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    1 egg
    2 medium-sized, ripe bananas, mashed (about 3/4-1 c.)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 c. chocolate chips
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
    In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
    In a large bowl. Cream together butter and brown sugar. When light and fluffy, beat in egg, followed by mashed banana and vanilla extract. Blend in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
    Bake for about 45 minutes @ 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed. Cool on a rack in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn loaf out of pan and let cool completely before slicing.
    Serve toasted, with butter and/or cream cheese. Store well in an airtight container (or plastic wrap).
    Serve 8-10.

All of these breads can be made without nuts and they turn out fine.
    Hope this helps use some of those bananas!!!

Carol

False