how do you freeze corn on the cob without blanching it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how do you freeze corn on the cob without blanching it?

Last post Dec 26, 2011 7:07 AM by Alliea . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • how do you freeze corn on the cob without blanching it?

There was a post oh about 3 or years ago about freezing corn on the cob. All you had to do was place the corn in a paper bag(?) and freeze it. When you wanted to use some you just took that quanity out and microwaved it. I don't remember if it was more than a paper bag and how long ot microwave it for or if you could use another cooking method. Would someone else remember that post? Thanks for you help in advance. Lafner

False
  • Re: how do you freeze corn on the cob without blanching it?

I just wrap corn on the cob, with the husk and all, in heavy duty foil, put in a freezer bag and toss in the freezer.  Then, I put it in the oven or on the grill for about an hour or so ~ turn once in awhile.  350 in the oven, high on the grill.

False

lafner, I'd suggest trying a couple of cobs teh way cookn describes to see if you like the results.

I blanched mine, cold water, chilled as fast as possible, dried, and tightly wrapped, into the freezer. Taking them out and cooking as usual, from frozen, we couldn't tell it from fresh. 

I didn't do it the other way because all the processing books said that the kernels would become tough. And there was something about unconverted raw starch, but I don't remember. Simply thought out, would you freeze peas fresh from the garden, in their pods, and if not, why not? Corn kernels are not really any different from peas.

ViolaB

False

No tough kernels at Thanksgiving when I serve it ~ I don't know if freezing it longer than a couple of months makes a difference, but I usually only have it frozen for about that long.

Lafner was looking for a way to do it without blanching it, so that's why I shared the method I use every year....

False

You can shuck it and then wrap in foil, or just toss it in the freezer in a big old bag with no foil and just the husks that it has.  The quality of the corn when you cook it later depends on how good the corn was to start.  :)    I don't like microwaved corn on the cob at all so I *always* do mine in a pot of water but yes, I've froze both of these ways as well as taking it off the cob and doing the blanching, cream, sugar, etc.   

False

I shuck mine, remove the silk and wash in running cold water to remove any micro-bug that might be hiding. I let it air dry and then put it in freezer bags and the freezer.  It's very good so I don't see any need to blanch it.  It is not tough or dry.  I usually boil mine but sometimes microwave it.

False

Thank you very much for your help. I just remember that it had a wonderful fresh picked flavor.Lafner

False

I found this. I hope it is whatyou wanted.Wink

Diana

OT: Freezing Corn on the Cob

Every year I freeze corn on the cob and it is just not that good when we cook it.
    Seems to be rather mushy and loses alot of flavor.
    I found this method on another board and I was wondering if any of you have tried doing this, and if you did how did it turn out?

" We freeze ears of corn with their husks intact. We put as many as we want in a paper bag. Close the bag tightly and freeze. When you want to cook the corn. Remove as many ears as you want from the bag. Husk and clean ears. Roll each frozen ear in wax paper. Put frozen into microwave for about 10 minutes. They will taste like you just picked them. (We usually do about 6 at a time in the microwave) The secret is to cook them from the frozen state."

Anyone here ever do this???

Thanks....~kate~

False

Bump for Bonnie

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009