Need a side dish for enchiladas... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need a side dish for enchiladas...

Last post Sep 21, 2008 1:04 PM by Salbo . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Need a side dish for enchiladas...

I need an idea for a side dish to go along with homemade bread, enchiladas and salad. I'm taking a meal to my SIL. Any ideas and recipes?

False
  • Re: Need a side dish for enchiladas...

I actually have the same problem- finding a dish to go with enchiladas. I am thinking some kind of rice dish but I haven't found anything yet. If I do I will post it for you!!

False

either refried beans or spanish rice. That's what I usually serve with them

False
    Friends are like panties. Some stay up your butt, some get a little sideways, some are holy, some are cheap, and some actually cover your butt The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each ,military member who has died protecting it DISCLAIMER: This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) to whom it was sent and may contain outrageous claims and bald-faced lies. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information may result in a can of whoop-ass being opened on you and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the intended recipient you agree with this message. Thank you If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how—the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what’s said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” -A. Lincoln

I usually  just make a salad to go with enchiladas, or you can make a layered taco dip.  A easy taco dip is sour cream mixed with a envelope of taco seasoning mix to taste, sharp cheddar cheese, avacodo, tomatoes chopped, shredded lettuce, serve with tortilla chips.  I prefer fresh chopped tomatoes, but you could use a bottled salsa instead.  I have also added green pepper and onion depending on who I am serving it to.

False

Homemade mac-n-cheese or Mexican mac-n-cheese. I'll bump up a recipe for the Mexican mac.

NancySmile

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

This is really good, even if you are preparing a regular salad.  I also like to make a taco salad without any meat to serve with enchiliadas.  I mix taco mix into sour cream to get some additional flavor.

Suziee

We love Mexican-style food so this is one I make a lot in the summer...come to think of it, I make it any time the urge strikes!!!!!  posted by carol1229

CORN AND BLACK BEAN SALAD

1 (15 1/4 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained (when we have corn on the cob left over-I scrape off the kernels and use them-works fantastic-and is a great way to use the corn up!)
    1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
    6 green onions, chopped
    1/2 c. chopped red onion
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    3/4 c. Italian salad dressing (can use regular, low fat or fat-free)
    1 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
    1 Tbsp. lime or lemon juice
    3/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp. chili powder

In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. In a small bowl. combine the salad dressing, cilantro, lime juice, hot pepper sauce and chili powder.
    Pour over corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.

*If I have some avocado I want to use, I peel and dice it and throw some of that in too!

False

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

This is very good too!  Suziee 

Posted by: saraquarius Posted on: 11/11/2007 11:32:22 AM

I have made this recipe alot, and we really like it. I have made it with and without the dried pepper and we don't see much difference. Sometimes I smush up the some of the beans so they look a little like chunky refried beans.

Spicy Black Beans

Ingredients

1/2 cup water

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained

1 dried ancho chile (about 1 ounce), seeded

1/2 teaspoon margarine or butter

Cooking spray

2/3 cup chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions

Preparation

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Discard ancho.

Melt margarine in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add onion mixture to bean mixture. Stir in green onions.

False

Do not forget the guacamole. I keep my recipe really simple and we like it better than any restaurant version. Some people like to add finely chopped cilantro but it is an acquired taste that not everyone enjoys so I don't bother with it.

Guacamole

4 ripe avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed (I use a fork to mash)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 to 1/3 cup minced white or sweet yellow onion

1 medium tomato, seeded and diced

salt to taste (can also use a little garlic salt instead)

Stir together the avocado and lemon juice in a serving bowl; add the onion and tomato; mix well. Season with salt. Serve immediately or store covered in refrigerator with plastic wrap pressed onto the guacamole in the bowl to keep from browning.

False
    "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and he who plants kindness gathers love."

These are fast and easy to throw together and although I usually make them with my Fajitas these would be good with Enchiladas as well.
    You have likely gone already but I’m posting this anyway for future use.

~Jan~

“Salsa Pinto Beans”

Quick Cooking May/June 2001

1 small onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, mince
    2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
    1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
    2 cans (15oz. each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    2/3 cup salsa (I use Pace Picante medium)

In a large skillet or saucepan, sauté onion, garlic and cilantro in oil until tender.
    Stir in the beans and salsa; heat through.

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

I always make rice. I use 1 cup chicken broth to 1 cup instant rice. Then I put in some salsa. When its done, I put shredded cheese over it and put in the oven for a few minutes. I always put it in a pie plate.

Salbo

False