ISO: Appetizer recipes you pour over a block of cream cheese | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Appetizer recipes you pour over a block of cream cheese

Last post Oct 20, 2009 3:37 PM by dreyfuss . 35 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 123
  • ISO: Appetizer recipes you pour over a block of cream cheese

I just found SalsaRose's Florida Dip that you pour over a cream cheese block.  I also have the Jezabel recipe, but aside from that I'm out of ideas.  What do you pour over your cream cheese block?

TIA, Lorraine

FLORIDA DIP

1 small jar pineapple preserves

1/2 jar horseradish

1 small jar clear  apple jelly

2 teaspoons dry mustard

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

Pour over cream cheese block.

False
  • Re: ISO: Appetizer recipes you pour over a block of cream cheese

My favorite is Pickapeppa Sauce.  The very unique flavor is perfect with the blandness of cream cheese. 

http://www.pickapeppa.com/

It's usually near the Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, etc. at the grocery store.

False

I've done honey mustard and cranberry sauce (not together!) and they have been very popular!

False

Here is one of my favorite.

1 (8oz.) block of cream cheese

I can small cocktail shrimps..rinsed

I jar seafood cocktail sauce

Place cream cheese on plate, top with shrimps and then sauce.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Serve with crackers or veggies...Love Lorraine

False
    Love Lorraine

Salsa

Pico de Gallo

Pepper Jelly- any kind

Chili

Jam

Pesto- red or green

Carrot and Pepper Relish

deb

False

One of the easiest I've found (and a favorite) is to spread the block of cream cheese on a plate, top with a can of red enchilada sauce and a can of crabmeat (drained and picked through for any shell).  Seems like I always have the makings for this on hand and by warming the cream cheese in the microwave for a minute or two (until soft enough to spread), I can have this ready to serve in just minutes. 

I have also make the one with shrimp by using the cans of small shrimp

False

Salsa or Picante sauce over the cream cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

False

Believe it or not, A-1 sauce (steak sauce) is delicious poured over a block of cream cheese (served with crackers).  Usually people cannot guess what it is, they just like it!

Jeanna

False

Ranch Dressing Mix- the type that requires buttermilk. Pour 2-3 packets of ranch dressing mix/powder into a ziploc. Put a block of cream cheese in and coat it well on all sides. Wrap it in plastic wrap, tightly. Chill 6-8 hours. Set out at room temp. to soften a bit before serving.

If you roll the plain cream cheese into a log before coating, it's even prettier.

deb

False

Jean Pare Company's Coming Appetizers

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 (4oz each) cans of small shrimp, I use crab
    1 cup seafood cocktail sauce
    2 cups shredded mozzarella
    1 green pepper, chopped, I omit this
    3 green onions, chopped
    1 tomato, diced

Mix first 3 ingredients. Spread over a 12" pizza pan. Scatter shrimp on top. Add layers of seafood sauce, mozzarella cheese, green pepper, onions and tomato. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve with assorted crackers. DELICIOUS

If you have never tried this you are missing something really great. Looks nice too

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

I use a jar of Heinz Chili Sauce topped with fresh or canned crab

False

Last time I had company I used lingonberry preserves over the cream cheese. Everyone loved it.

False
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

When I use Pickapepper Sauce, I like to slice green onions very thin and put on top.

I also make it like canninglady - Heinz Chili Sauce and canned crab, picked thru.  Very good!

OR....  Put cream cheese in a pie plate, microwave to get warm.  Spread to edges.  Top with cocktail sauce.  Put canned (rinsed) shrimp on top, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and green peppers.  

OR...just take jar salsa and mix with cream cheese.  Fantastic and easy.

Suziee

False

I just made some Hot Raspberry Pepper Jelly that was said to be great poured over cream cheese and served with crackers. Below is the reicpe if you'd like to try it and I think Depo's Jalapeno Jelly would be about the same thing if you made any of that. Here's the one I made.I added a package of frozen raspberries to mine and it turned out great, I think, though, that it would have been easier to "pour" if i'd only used one packet of the Certo. But having never made any of this kind of jelly before using Certo, I added the two that the recipe called for. Next time I'll use only one.I also printed the comments other people who tried it gave.

Hot Pepper Jelly( TRY ON CHICKEN OR TURKEY  SANDWICHES)
    Ingredients
    2/3 cup hot pepper (this amount can vary according to what type of peppers used
    and how hot you want your jelly.)
    1 bell pepper
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 (8 ounce) bottle Certo or 2 packets Certo
    1 teaspoon food coloring (red or green I use red for hotter jelly-green for milder jelly)
    Directions
    Chop peppers and put in blender with vinegar.
    Blend well and pour into large boiler.
    Add sugar and mix well.
    Bring mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minute.
    Remove from heat, strain through seive and return liquid back to a boil.
    Boil for 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat
    Add Certo and food coloring quickly.
    Put into 6 (1/2 pint) jars and seal.

I use heated seal method, where I heat the lids in boiling water, place on jar, secure ring tightly and turn jar upside down for 5 minutes.
    Turn jar up correctly and allow to cool completely before storing.

This recipe is great. I made two batches, the first with jalapenos and a bell pepper.
    For the second batch I used two containers of fresh raspberries along with about 5 habaneros.
     Wow, the raspberry habanero was fantastic!
    The only other thing I did different was to do a full canning where I processed the jars after the fact
    (roughly 5 to 10 minutes). This was my first time canning and it was a great recipe to start off with.
     Thanks for sharing Jellyqueen!
    I don't like touching the peppers so I just stick them in as is into the blender with the vinegar. It set up beautifuly.
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet but my sister did and she loved it. The second batch I used raspberries as suggested
     in one of the reviews. They were frozen ones that I received from my FIL and they were packed in a medium ziploc
     (so I'm not sure of the measurement). I didn't use all the juice that was in the bag after they thawed
     (maybe about half of the juice and all the berries)... I also included 6 jalapenos and 1 habanero for good measure.
     I tried it this weekend and it was just heaven. Thank you so much for making me look like a kitchen goddess
     with this recipe! Also, I do the whole water bath process on these even though it doesn't say to in the recipe.
    I'm serving this up on some cream cheese for our Thanksgiving dinner at church on Sunday and am making more for
    CHRISTmas baskets. Thank you, Jellyqueen!
    I served it at a party, poured over cream cheese and served with crackers
    I left the seeds in some of my pepper so the jelly has a kick. It's great on a cracker with cream cheese
    and will be making the brie kisses one of these days
    I used 5 jalapenos and left the seeds and membrane of 2, and I didn't strain it. I found this was hot enough for a novice.
     I went with red food colouring so it turned out a nice rosy pink. This jelly even took first place at our local fair!
    I used 7 Jalapeno Peppers and removing the seeds in all but 2 of them. I added 1 green pepper and
    added about 4 drops of green food coloring to give it a great color. I actually ended up using apple cider vinegar
    as I was out of white vinegar and it tasted delicious! I only used 1 pkg of certo and I was very happy with the consistancy.
    I used 4 scotch bonnets, 5 or so Habs and 1 big sweet pepper. I used apple cider instead of regular vinegar.
    I used two packages of Ball powered pectin and they turned out to be a good consistency
    I made two batches, the first with jalapenos and a bell pepper. For the second batch I used two containers of
    fresh raspberries along with about 5 habaneros. Wow, the raspberry habanero was fantastic!
    The only other thing I did different was to do a full canning where I processed the jars after the fact
     (roughly 5 to 10 minutes).
    The jalapeno jelly was perfect for the muffins and or corn bread.

I couldn't get the recipe search to work or I would have posted Depo's recipe. Maybe someone who has copied it will read this and post it for ya. 

False

Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly

3 cups of cranberry juice
    1 cup of jalapeno peppers, chopped & seeded
    7 cups of sugar
    1 cup of vinegar
    2 pouches of liquid fruit pectin
    10 drops of red food coloring, optional

Have sterilized jars and lids ready to go. Place cranberry juice & peppers in a blender, cover & process until the peppers are fully chopped. Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth. Pour the strained juice into a large kettle and add the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.

Stir in the vinegar & pectin, return to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim foam and add food coloring.

Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yield: 8 1/2 pints

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/