Dr. Phil's Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dr. Phil's Recipes

Last post Nov 04, 2009 5:21 PM by bdett . 38 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 123
  • Dr. Phil's Recipes
    OK....I'll post all the recipes from Dr. Phil's book in this thread. That way they'll be kept together. Thanks for the suggestion Suzy CC! :)
    Pat

Mushroom-Tomato Frittata

2 tsp olive oil
    6 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 C pasteurized egg substitute, or 6 large eggs, beaten until foamy
    2 T grated low-fat parmesan cheese (1/2 oz)

Heat oil in 10" nonstick skillet set over med heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they give off their liquid, liquid comes to a simmer, then reduces to a glaze, about 4 min.

Stir in the tomato, thyme, salt, rosemary, and pepper; cook 20 sec, until aromatic. Pour in the pasteurized egg substitute or eggs, making sure the vegetables are evenly distributed, and sprinkle the parmesan over the top. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until set, about 12 min. Cut into six wedges and serve.

NOTE: If desired, you can brown the top. Preheat broiler while frittata is cooking. Once set, place it about 5" from heat source for about 20 seconds, just until the top is lightly browned. Make sure your skillet handle can withstand direct heat. If not, wrap it tightly with foil before placing it under the broiler.

False
  • RE: Dr. Phil's Recipes
    No-Fry Chicken-Fried Steak

4 top round steaks or sirloin top steaks (about 5 oz each)
    1 teaspoon meat tenderizer
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk
    nonstick spray
    1 cup oat flour, or 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats, finely ground in a food processor or blender (not quick-cooking oats)
    2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional

1. Place steaks between two large sheets of wax paper; pound to 1/4" thickness. Prick meat with a fork at 1/2" intervals and season evenly with meat tenderizer. Place steaks in large shallow roasting pan. Pour buttermilk over the steaks and marinate at room temp for 30 min, turning occasionally.

2. Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large shallow roasting pan or large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. On a large plate, combine the oat flour or ground oats with the paprika, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne, if using, mixing well.

3. Dredge the buttermilk-coated steaks in the oat flour mix, then place in the prepared pan. Spray them lightly with nonstick spray. Bake until firm but tender when pierced with a fork and lightly browned, about 30 min.
    False
    Succotash Omelet

1 T canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
    1/2 C frozen lima beans, thawed
    1/2 C frozen corn, thawed
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
    1 C pasteurized egg substitute, or 4 large eggs, beaten until foamy
    2 T shredded low-fat cheese, such as mozzarella or cheddar (1/2 oz)

Heat 2 tsp oil in 10" nonstick skillet set over med heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 min. Add lima beans and corn, and thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne, if using. Cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 1 min. Transfer the mix to a bowl and set aside.

Return the skillet to med heat. Add the remaining tsp of canola oil and pour in the egg sub or the eggs. Cook without stirring until the edges begin to set, about 30 sec. With rubber spatula or wooden spoon, push the cooked edges toward the center and tilt the pan so that the uncooked eggs run to the edges. Repeat this process once more, then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cook until top is set, about 1 more min. Spoon succotash filling over half of the omelet and gently fold the other half over the vegetables to cover them. Tilting the pan, so that the omelet rolls closed like a burrito or a crepe, carefully slide it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Slice into 4 wedges and serve immediately.

NOTE: You can substitute 1 C frozen mixed vegetables (a mix that includes lima beans and corn), thawed, for the frozen lima beans and corn.
    False
    Thank you soooooo much for posting these! I saw the show where they had the recipes on there, and it all looked great! Bless you!
    False
    Tex-Mex Scramble

2 tsp canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    8 ready-to-eat low-fat turkey breakfast sausage links, cut into 1/2" pieces
    1/4 C canned chopped green chilies
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 C pasteurized egg substitute, or 4 large eggs, beaten until foamy

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 min. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 min. If grease has pooled in the pan, drain it, retaining the onion and sausage.

Add the chilies, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and salt, and cook until fragrant, about 20 min. Pour in the pasteurized egg substitute or eggs and cook, stirring, just until scrambled (when eggs are no longer runny), a little less than 1 min. Serve at once.

False
    No problem Rachael! I've received enough recipes from this BB that I'm glad I can return some! I hope it's OK that I'm doing this, as long as I'm giving credit to Dr. Phil!
    Pat
    False
    If it was illegal, I'd be off this BB a loooooong time ago, as I'm sure others would be, too;)
    False
    The New Huevos Rancheros

2 medium tomatoes, quartered
    2 T packed fresh cilantro leaves
    2 T chopped red onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    2-4 dashes Tabasco sauce
    1/4 C canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 T apple-cider vinegar
    6 large eggs
    6 fat-free whole-wheat tortillas
    6 T low-fat shredded cheese, such as Mexican cheese blend

Place the tomatoes and cilantro in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and pulse 3 or 4 times, until finely chopped. Add the onion, salt, and Tabasco and pulse 2 or 3 more times, until the mix looks like a chunky salsa. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the black beans, and set aside.

Fill a large high-sided skillet or saute pan with water to a depth of 1". Add the vinegar and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to med-low, break an egg into a small custard cup or tea cup, then slip the egg into boiling water. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook until the whites are firm, about 1 1/2 min.

Meanwhile, lay the tortillas flat on six plates and top each with 1/4 C salsa. Transfer the poached eggs from the pan to the plates, using a slotted spoon so they can drain and taking care not to break the yolks. Top each serving with 1 T shredded cheese. Serve at once.

Note 1: Fresh cilantro can be sandy. To remove grit, fill sink or large bowl with cool water. Separate leaves from stems and discard stems. Add cilantro leaves to the water, stir gently, then let stand for 5 min. Gently remove leaves from water so as not to disturb sand that has floated to the bottom. Wrap leaves loosely in paper towels to dry.

Note 2: The acidic vinegar will help hold the eggs together in the boiling water as they poach.

Note 3: If desired, transfer poached eggs to a plate lined with paper towels and trim the ragged ends of the whites for a prettier dish. Gently transfer trimmed eggs to prepared plates and continue.
    False
    Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

1 C fat-free sugar-free lemon yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp poppy seeds
    1 C red or green seedless grapes
    1 sweet, firm apple, such as Gala, Fuji, or Red Delicious, cored and cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 large orange, peeled, white pith removed, segments cut in half
    1 ripe banana, peeled and cut into 3/4" slices
    1/4 C wheat germ or Forget-the-Fat Granola (see next recipe)

Combine yogurt, vanilla, and poppy seeds in a small bowl until well blended.

Combine the grapes, apple chunks, orange sections, and banana slices in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mix and stir to coat all the fruit. Serve at once, sprinkling 1 T wheat germ or granola over each portion--or store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, stirring well before topping and serving.
    False
    Thank you so much! I saw the show and that steak looked so good.
    False
    Forget-the-Fat Granola

3 C uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
    3/4 C wheat germ
    1/3 C whole raw almonds, roughly chopped
    2 T shelled raw sunflower seeds
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp salt
    1 C unsweetened apple-juice concentrate, thawed
    1 C dried cranberries or raisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the oats, wheat germ, almonds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add the juice concentrate, stir well, and spread the mix evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.

Bake, stirring every 5 min or so, until lightly browned, about 40 min. Place baking sheet on a wire rack and cool to room temp. Mix in the dried cranberries or raisins, then pour into a sealable container or plastic bag and store at room temp for up to 2 months.

Note: Do not use toasted almonds or sunflower seeds as they will burn in the oven. Avoid packaged varieties that include salt or seasonings. Plain raw nuts and seeds are available at most gourmet markets, usually in the bulk section, and in almost all health food stores.
    False
    Oh yeah, the banana cream pie looked reeeaaaally good too. Looking forward to seeing that one. And I think the pie and a lot of the others would be OK for my diabetic DD.
    False
    Cottage Cheese Parfaits

1 C unsweetened applesauce
    2 C fat-free cottage cheese
    1 can (11 oz) mandarin orange slices packed in juice, drained
    1/4 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg

Layer 1/4 of each of the first 3 ingredients in the listed order in a parfait glass. Repeat with 3 additional glasses. Top each parfait with a pinch of nutmeg.

NOTE: Ground nutmeg is more pungent than freshly grated and tends to become rancid rather quickly. Although it takes a little more time, try to grate it fresh if possible.
    False
    Banana Cream Pie

2 1/2 C Banana Nut Crunch Cereal
    2 T light margarine spread, at room temp
    2 (1 oz) pkgs sugar-free, fat-free instant banana cream or vanilla pudding mix
    2 T fat-free powdered dry milk
    2 C cold fat-free milk
    2 ripe bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 C sugar-free, fat-free vanilla yogurt

Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees.

Place the cereal in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and process until finely ground, about 30 sec. Add margarine and process until a soft ball of dough begins to form. Pour the dough into a 9" pie pan and press it into an even crust across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Alternatively, place the cereal in a zipper plastic bag, squeeze out all the air, and seal tightly. Using a heavy rolling pin or the bottom of a large, heavy saucepan, pulverize the cereal to the texture of fine meal, rotating the bag frequently so the cereal is uniformly crushed. Transfer the cereal to a medium bowl and cut in the margarine with a pastry cutter or two forks, until the mix begins to form a dough. Press into pie pan as indicated.

Bake 10 min, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely, about 30 min.

Place pudding mix and powdered dry milk in large bowl. Pour in the milk and whisk 1 min. Add the chopped banana and continue whisking until somewhat thickened, about 1 more min. Pour into the prepared pie shell and refrigerate until set, about 2 hrs. Pie may be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered, up to 3 days.

Just before serving, spread the yogurt evenly over the pie, forming a creamy topping.

False
    I'm going to quit for tonight. I worry about errors when I get too tired. I've already had to correct "poopy seeds" too many times! :)

Pat
    False