REC: Cider Sausage and Cabbage | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC: Cider Sausage and Cabbage

Last post Oct 16, 2008 7:28 AM by M_Wolverine . 1 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
  • REC: Cider Sausage and Cabbage

Diana came home from work hungry a couple days ago and I hadn't a clue of what I was going to fix for dinner. I looked in the fridge and saw smoked sausage and a half head of cabbage that I'd used for boiled dinner last week and just started throwing things together. Using the cider was just a last spur-of-the-minute decision and boy am I glad that I thought of it. It was what made the whole dish. I'm thinking that the next time I make this I may even add some apple slices to it.
    I served it with buttered slices of dark rye bread.

John

Cider Sausage and Cabbage

1 12-16 oz pkg smoked sausage, (2 large links), diagonally sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 Tbs bacon grease
    1 large onion, cut in half, then sliced in 1/4 inch strips
    1 cup apple cider
    1 cup water
    1 very small or half a medium green cabbage, sliced in long 1/4 inch wide strips
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
    1 tsp celery salt
    1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper

Over medium heat, melt bacon grease in a large skillet w/cover and brown the sausage and onion until the onion is almost caramelized. Deglaze the pan with the cider and water.
    Bring up to a low boil and add the cabbage and seasonings. Cook 5 minutes, stirring to move uncooked cabbage into the liquid. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is on the tender side of crisp/tender, stirring occasionally.

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • Re: REC: Cider Sausage and Cabbage

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”