PCH Kitchen: November***2008*** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Kitchen: November***2008***

Last post Nov 30, 2008 9:36 PM by Ruth_MO . 202 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 14 (203 items) 12345Last >
  • PCH Kitchen: November***2008***
    WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are physically challenged homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

OUR DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN 

False
  • Re: PCH Kitchen: November***2008***
    Good morning everyone, hope each of you had a enjoyable evening with lots of trick or treaters. Nancy  like you, I seldom have trick or treaters here. Last night was a very enjoyable time, very little chili left to bring home, *good* The kids weren’t dressed up much at all, so many had had parties at school earlier in the day, there was one little girl, 2 years old, dressed in a warm chicken costume, what a cutie she was! The kids were getting hungry, they had to cook more rice as only one container of rice was brought. So I look at one of the tables and see this box of crackers go off the back side of it, see little feet and legs where the box went off and then the box goes back on the table and the feet were hurrying off, hehe, so someone knew where the crackers were. Then little heads started popping up on the back side of the table where the chips were, those kids were letting adults know it was time to eat!!! But we had a good time, got chilly and luckily everyone had brought jackets.  I think we are pretty much done with dinners for a couple weeks at least. What is everyone’s plan for the weekend? Are you ready for the election to be over? I will be glad to see Wed morning arrive myself, but I am still listening, but have already put in my vote as you know. I had looked earlier this morning for another opening and came back about a hour later and still didn’t see one, hope you all don’t mind. I am attempting to clean up the house some this weekend, and here I am sitting. Bought a couple recipe magazines yesterday, just what I needed. *smile*  I’ll pop back in later today, or is I cook anything different. Hugs. And prayers for our ladies and their families in need. God Bless our Troops and this Country, prayers for our emergency workers as well. Connie
    False

Hi Connie, thanks for opening Nov Kitchen. Found it at bottom of page ONE. *smile* See Nancy was by past midnight giving the hint of new month. *grin*

Connie, sounds like you had an enjoyable time at Church seeing the little ones scamper about.

Ann, how many trick-or-treaters did you have? We don't get any here. I had already given DGC their Halloween goodies.

Well, I see I am going to have to put on warmer top. My arms are getting too cold. Gray day is brighter gray so that is good. Remember to change time when you go to bed.

Prayers for PCH Kitchen Gals and our Troops and Emergency Workers. Wishing all a very good weekend.

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Hi Deery, well I am glad you found the room today, very quiet isn’t it? I guess I am going to have to try a new recipe and post huh? This is cooking weather to me Deery, then again it has warmed up, 79 here now and sun is shining bright. I have been out mowing a bit and had the sweeper on the back, sweeping up leaves and empting, I put 4 large loads by my compost wire fence area and have got them all raked in, maybe one of these years they will compost, but right now they are all the way to the top and my arms and shoulders ache, but yard looks much better. So I came in and got me a large glass of iced tea. *smile* You wanna glass Deery? Don’t you miss not having trick or treaters? I know I sure do. My DIL took Russ around in their neighborhood and another group was following her, the kids mothers were with them too, using foul language and Melissa was pulling Russ back from the door after he got his candy and one of the mothers pushed Melissa and Melissa got upset and “told her to just wait and she could get her stinking candy” The lady said ohhh she was sorry she did not mean to push her, so Melissa and Russ got away from that group quick as they could and went home after about 10 houses. That was plenty. My lights were off as I was not home, I came in the front door since it was all dark and the sensor light would come on when I drove up and I could see to hurry into the house.  Then I went back out to the Kia and brought my roaster in with the left over chili in it, back in and locked my door. I have some cookie recipes I wanna make this next week to mail, I’ll see about posting the recipes, looks yummy. Hope everyone is have a good weekend. Hugs, Connie
    False

Fudge Ecstasies

12oz pkg semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)

2 ozs unsweetened chocolate, chopped                                        

2 Tbsp butter

2 eggs

2/3 cup sugar

¼ cup all purpose flour

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp baking powder

1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a cookie sheet/ set aside.  In a heavy medium saucepan heat 1 cup of the chocolate pieces,  the unsweetened chocolate, and butter until melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla and baking powder. Beat until combine, scraping sides of pan. Add remaining chocolate pieces and nuts. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 mins or until edges are firm and surfaces are dull and crackled. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Make about 36.

False

Good afternoon Connie, Deery and to all that drop by the kitchen today.

Thanks for starting us a brand new room Connie. Its always nice to have a fresh beginning. Have you all noticed that the months seem to be getting shorter. LOL seems just like we started Oct and now its Nov. and soon will be turkey day.

I dropped by this morning with the intention of saying good morning to you Connie, but the old toothache got the best of me
    . Guess that is what I get for sneaking a few bites of the Texas sheet cake brownies. Dumb thing to be nibbling on in the morning anyway. LOL

Oh I bet the little "chicken" was adorable. What a cute costume for a 2 year old. I really missed seeing any of the kids dressed in their costumes for Halloween this year. Most years Bill and I will drive by Sattler just to see what the most favorite costumes are for the year.

Deery it sounds like its just about time to get out your warmer tops and keep one handy. Those gray damp days can really chill you to the bone before you realize it. But hopefully there will be more sunshine days for you this winter than there was last year. Yes, Deery I made a late night run by the kitchen when I came in to do my breathing treatment. Was surprised to see how late it was after it was posted. *grin*

Do hope that all of you ladies have a enjoyable weekend. Right now there is nothing planned here. Bill will be watching the races most of the day today. Not sure if there are any tomorrow. I have been crocheting covers for clothes hangers again. They sure do help to keep the tops from getting dimples on the shoulders. LOL

Prayers for our ladies familys that are in need right now as well as for all of our ladies. Know we can never receive too many prayers on our behalf. God Bless our emergency workers as well as our brave troops.

Ahhhh yummmy, Just noticed that you had dropped back by the kitchen Connie and left a yummy cookie recipe while I was pecking......looks good, going to copy and give a try when the brownies are gone.

Have a good one ladies,

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Connie, I will drink some hot tea with you having the iced. *smile* Cookie recipe looked good. Sent is to DD. DGS likes chocolate. Will show it to DH. Has less sugar then most but probably doesn't mean must.

Hi Nancy. Texas Sheet Cake Brownies. That must be a lot of brownies? Yummmm! Seems like the hanger covers would keep clothes of sliding off also?

Going to have Sauage Hot Dogs for dinner.

Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

hi all, I  have been running around all day, breakfast with the friend from out of town then Rose and Debbie and I went to town done a few things and came home Rose went with her family and Debbie and I headed toward Ft. Wood then went shopping on the other side of the base came back through Rolla.   I did get some Christmas gifts,  spent more then I had planned for today but if weather gets bad I have enough food for a while,so I will not have to go out, this next week should be very nice but not sure what comes later,sure enjoy this warm days now though,

Connie, your recipe looks so good, I will copy it to make.   thanks for opening the kitchen for this month for us all

I  tried to turn on my desktop computer and it is not working I sure hope it has not crashed, I have this laptop but can not get my e-mail on here it has not been set up on this so will just have to keep in touch with everyone here for now I can not afford to get it fixed till I get this months bills all paid. oh such fun is life .  as long as this keeps working I will be a happy camper (somewhat)well better get off here for now, see ya all tomorrow

False
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal Love leaves precious Memories no one can steal God Bless our Troops and emergency workers.

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Rounds

¾ cup butter, softened

½ cup peanut butter

1 cup granulated sugar

½ cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp baking powder

½ baking soda

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 +¼ cups all purpose flour

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup chopped cocktail peanuts, and or semisweet chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 375. Beat butter and peanut butter with an elec. Mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugars, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Stir in rolled oats and peanuts and or chocolate pieces. Drop dough by rounded tsps. 2 inches apart onto an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated over about 10 mins or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire racks, cool. Makes about 60 cookies

I meant to make mention and give credit where due, these recipes came from this years BHG Special Interest Publications, collectors edition, 5th printing, back by popular demand. 100 Best Cookies

Mountain Christmas Cookies

½ cup butter, softened

½ cup shortening

1+¼ cups packed brown sugar

¾ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

3+½ cups all purpose flour

1 cup red, green and white candy coated milk chocolate bits or red and green candy coated pieces

1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on med. Speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda and ¼ tsp salt; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate bits or pieces and nuts. Drop dough from rounded tsp 2 inches apart onto an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 8 to 10 mins or until golden. Cool cookies for 1 min. on cookie sheet. Using a wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. Make 12 (5 inch diameter) cookies’

False

Good morning ladies, I tried posting these other two recipes last night but the site would not load at all, so I finally gave up on it. Hope you all are feeling better, wake to a day that will be warmer and able to enjoy it. Today will be my honey phone call, I always look forward to that, makes my day. I got a longggg email from Chris and he is busy busy, time is flying for both him and his Dad, us wives as well. Prayers for our military troops and our country, as well as our emergency workers and our PCH family members and their loved one who are is need of those special prayers too. I need to call Cupcake this next week and see what her doctor said and just make sure she is behaving herself! *shaking my head* The cookie recipes I am posting will be the ones I am going to try to get baked this week to mail to Kerry and Liz's Steve, I have an eye appt on Monday though and Ms Bronnie has her last dental appt, but she has to make a heart doctor appt, the doctor is adament about her seeing that doctor and soon. So sneaking in baking cookies may be tricky at times. I am sure others are going to be baking as well, wanna share your delicious recipes and ideas here, would love to have them! And what are your plans for Thanksgiving, it will be upon us before we know it! Yes Nancy, where did the month of Oct go? But I am glad it is gone, another month gone for Kerry. *smile* Well ladies, Arthur is aching in the darned shoulder this am, hand tingling and starting to ache, better get my act together and get some circulation going. Will be back later, bit at a time. Take care, hugs, Connie

False

Connie, good to see you here this morning, your cookie recipes look so good, I know I'll be making them this year not sure what all I will get made I know most of what I make will be given away I sure can not eat it all by myself and that is part of the fun of Christmas is giving home made goodies,

I know you will sure enjoy your visit with your honey, give him our love as well, and that he is in all our prayers, when will you have him back home?  you take care of that shoulder Arthur can sure be mean can't he, sure wish he and his family would just go away and leave us all alone. had one doctor tell me that is what happens when we get old, I never did like that doctor, lol

well guess I had better get ready for church will stop back later

prayers for all our group, I just know one of these days every one will be back here in the kitchen again.

False
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal Love leaves precious Memories no one can steal God Bless our Troops and emergency workers.

Good afternoon Ruth and all who bless this room today, hope everyone is resting up and just enjoying a good day. Ruthie, Arthur went to church with me today, *whaaaaa*  [:'(]  I could hardly keep my right arm still, just getting into a comfortable position was so bad, I finally said, Lord please ease my pain............... I wished for my heat wrap I put on the shoulder and neck, this is just ridiculous!! This getting old is for the birds! *smile* Kerry is fine Ruth, always good to hear his voice and Miss Clea got up on my lap and rubbed the phone, playing kissy, kissy I think to Daddy's voice, I had him on speaker phone for her for a change. *grin* I am going to get off here and go pop a pill for the ache, see if I can put Arthur to sleep. *grin* Have a good day ladies, God Bless each and everyone of you. Hugs, Connie

False

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Connie, so sorry Old Arthur is sticking to you like glue. Ugh! Hope the pill eased the pain for you. So glad you got to talk to your Honey Bun and Clea enjoyed his call also. *grin*

Hi Ruth, sounded like you had enjoyable time with friend and some shopping done also. Glad you are having some nice weather.

Quiet day here with the time change. Wishing all a good Sunday. Prayers for all our PCH Kitchen Gals and Troops and Emergency Workers.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hi Lin, I almost missed you. Thought I was message 13. Wondered why there was 14. Recipe sure looks good. Good to hear from you.

False