Need Advice - My new Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaving a white film on my glasses! Is there a cure? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Advice - My new Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaving a white film on my glasses! Is there a cure?

Last post Nov 23, 2008 9:49 PM by Magma . 29 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 12
  • Need Advice - My new Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaving a white film on my glasses! Is there a cure?

Our new Kitchenaid dishwasher was installed on Tuesday.  We've used it maybe 3 times, but I am so frustrated and disappointed.  This replaced a 20-year old GE dishwasher which was so good that it NEVER had been serviced.  The GE started a small leak, and since it was 20 years old, we replaced it. 

I used Electrasol powerball tablets.  They came with the dishwasher.  Please note that these are what I used exclusively in the GE for YEARS AND YEARS.  My glasses always came out shiny and clear.  I learned somewhere, a few years ago, that you are to never use Jet Dry and Electrasol powerball tablets together, because the powerballs have the Jet Dry built in, and to use both, you would be double-doing it and causing harm to your glassware.  However, the Kitchenaid came with both powerball tablets and Jet Dry.  Owner's book insists that you are to use both.  So, DH filled the dispenser with Jet Dry.

I am furious to see that my previously shiny glassware is coming out with a white film.  It won't easily scrub off if washed by hand, either.  I called Lowe's and complained.  They said that if we are dissatisfied with the dishwasher, we can bring it back within 30 days for a full refund.  That's comforting, except what do I do now???  What do I replace it with?  I did a lot of research online before we bought the Kitchenaid.  I'm really frustrated.  DH said that he is willing to take out the dishwasher (He installed it just 4 days ago) and truck it back to Lowe's.  But, he also said that he's not willing to help with dishwashing long-term if we are without a dishwasher. 

I am hoping for lots of advice here.  My friends here on the TOH BB always have a good answer.  Thanks! 

False
  • Re: Need Advice - My new Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaving a white film on my glasses! Is there a cure?

\kitchen aid should be a good brand, before you give up try a different detergent considering you filled the jet dry reservoir. I use jet dry all the time and I use the Palmolive gel type stuff in the dispenser cup. I am sure you are just overloading it with the stuff in the jet dry. Good luck

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
  • Re: Need Advice - My new Kitchenaid dishwasher is leaving a white film on my glasses! Is there a cure?

Plumcrazy, thanks for your reply!  After I posted my question here on the BB, I did a google search of Kitchenaid dishwashers.  It led me to a site called "Consumer Complaints about Kitchenaid dishwashers".  I sure wish that in my hours of internet research 3 weeks ago,I had seen this before I bought this awful thing.  I was horrified to read how many, many people have the same complaint.  Even worse, dozens of stories about the door falling off the front, causing injury.  This is going back to Lowe's, probably next weekend.  I'm thankful that Lowe's will give us a full refund, as long as we return within 30 days. 

Now, my big worry is what to buy next.  Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, and Maytag are the same company.  Everyone says that GE isn't quality, like it used to be.  I have no idea what to do.  Please keep this bumped - I hope for lots of advice here.     

False

http://www.consumersearch.com/dishwasher-reviews

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/dishwashers/index.htm

I agree , take it back.

If you are in the same house, with the same water source where the GE performed well I would not hesitate to return it. I have had Kitcheaid products that I like and some I did not like.

Check out the sites  I posted for reviews~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

How frustrating this must be for you!

After 19 years of married life and handwashing dishes, I was so excited to move into a "new" house with a remodeled kitchen. Guess what- the previous owners didn't install a dishwasher! We bought a middle of the line Kenmore and a friend of ours installed it for us.

I am very happy with the performance of this dishwasher. I scrape plates and dishes, but don't pre-rinse. I use Cascade powder and white vinegar in the little dispenser, instead of Jet Dry. I do make sure that I run hot water at the kitchen sink before starting, so that it fills with hot water.

Other than an occaisional dish that isn't a clean as I would like, I am very happy. The only time I get a film on glasses is when I am out of vinegar in the rinse.

Good luck on your quest.

arabella

False

I have an older Bosch I love but apparantly they are not as good anymore. Whatever you do do NOT buy a Frigidaire, my son has one and it is awful. Should be thrown out. I think Kenmore is made by Maytag as well. Good luck to you.

False

Like Arabella- I have had 2 Kenmores (different houses) They both worked well.

I had trouble previously with a Kitchenaid and A Whirlpool which were actually pricier.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I have a Kitchen Aid two-drawer dishwasher and I use Cascade gel and don't get a film.  I got Cascade dry with it when it was new, and the directions said not to use the tablet kind of detergent and there's even a post in the middle of the bin where you put the soap so you can't fit a tablet into it.  I'm really sorry your KA isn't working well for you - this one is my very first dishwasher and I just love it.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

I too had a Kitchenaide in the past. It replaced a $400 off the shelf dishwasher at Lowes. I was so disappointed with the KA. Mine would not get dishes clean AND it would shoot water out the bottom of the door during a cycle. Afte many service calls it was determined that the soap dispenser was not opening or only partially opening during the cycle. Thus the dishes were dirty. They replaced that a couple of times. The problem with the water shooting out across the kitchen floor (and I'm talking about a couple of cups of water) was because the pan was warped in transit. Sooo, Lowe's gave me another Kitchenaide. Hated it too. Had the same problem with the soap dispenser not opening. We sold the house and I left that horrible thing there.

The next house had a Bosch. Hated it too. It worked, it just didn't clean very well. I had to wash ALL LOADS OF DISHES TWICE. Do you know what a pain that is?

Next time I buy a dishwasher, it will be one of the $400 off the shelf dishwashers at Lowe's or Home Depot. They clean the best and actually work like they are supposed too.

Sorry you are having trouble with the KA. I have been there, done that. I always thought KA was supposed to be a good and reliable brand. I don't think it is.

False

Return the dishwasher. 

Kenmore gets my vote, especially the one with the steel inside. 

Kitchenaid - like a few PPs said, some products work very well, and some not.

Also, beware that if you move/install your appliance yourself, the warranty could not apply.  Have always had my appliances delivered, installed and removed from the place it was purchased.  Never been sorry, worth the extra dollars.

False

Phosphorus in the detergent will cause etching---making the glasses cloudy..     Palmolive Gel is the lowest of the popular brands, 1.6%, and Electrosol tablets is one of the highest 8.7%. 

I would switch to Palmolive Gel and see if that solves your problem.   However, if the glasses are already etched, they will stay etched.  The glass itself has been affected.   If it is just film, maybe it will come off eventually.

Automatic Dishwasher Detergents

Here is a list of some common automatic dishwasher detergents, and the amount of phosphorus they contain. Phosphate is the phosphorus- containing compound used in automatic dishwasher detergents and other household products.

Phosphorus free* Bi-O-Kleen, Country Save, Ecover, Seventh Generation, Wave
    1.6% Palmolive Gel
    3.7 - 4.5% Electrosol Gel
    4.0% Great Value Gel, Safeway Gel, Simply Clean Gel,  
    4.3% Sunlight Gel
    4.5% Cascade Gel, Electrosol Powder
    5.3% IGA Pwd, Sunlight Pwd
    5.5% Sun Sations Pwd, Western Family Classic Pwd, 
    6.0% Home Best Pwd, Simply Clean Pwd, Western Family Power Formula
    6.3% Great Value Pwd
    6.4 - 7.4% Cascade Pwd
    6.5% Cascade Complete Gel
    7.4% Safeway Pwd
    8.0% Safeway Tablets
    8.7% Cascade Power Tabs, Electrosol Gelpacs, Electrosol Tabs, Palmolive Triple Action Tabs
    * Phosphorus free is defined as containing 0.5% phosphorus or less

Phosphate Free Brands Available At Many Local Stores, including Bi-Lo, Good Food Store, Orange St. Food Farm, Rosauer's*

*Any omissions are unintentional; please notify us if your store carries phosphorus free brands of automatic dishwashing detergent, and we will add them to our list!

If you choose to use a phosphorus free dishwashing detergent and have hard water, you may want to try a rinse agent to reduce spotting (most are phosphorus free) and many people have found that running vinegar through the dishwashing cycle helps prevent scale buildup on dishwashers.

If you choose a higher phosphorus brand, please use the least amount of detergent necessary!

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

plumcrazy__Alta
    Whatever you do do NOT buy a Frigidaire,

I have a Frigidaire Professional Series that I bought 4 years ago & I wouldn't be without it! I have never had such clean dishes in all my dishwashing days! Even the pots & pans. I couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!

False

What a shame but I'm glad you're returning it too.  As far as the film on your glasses, you might want to try Kaboom.  I use that to remove the water line on my vases plus it's great for removing soap scum too.  It should work for you.........hopefully, give it a try.   

Cathy

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Cardinal, I am glad your Frigidaire works for you. His has never worked good, even 2 cycles will not get the dishes clean. My bosch can have dishes in it for days and everything always comes out clean. His was not cheap either and he purchased it in the spring of 2003.

False

My KitchenAid has been problem-free & worked well....got it about 5 years ago.  My only complaint about it is the top rack has a curved/raised section where I put things like soup/cereal bowls...then they can't stay on the curve so they fall over to either side...seems like a stupid design...my previous 2 brands of dishwasher just had flat racks where the items managed to stay where I put them. 

False