Soups that freeze well - please post yours | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Soups that freeze well - please post yours

Last post Oct 03, 2012 8:55 AM by gratefulservant_AZ . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Soups that freeze well - please post yours

I know there have been a lot of questions as to whether this soup or that soup freezes well but I can't find a thread listing the ones that do.   I make chili, ham hock & beans and minestrone.  I would like to know of more, so please post yours............I need more ideas!   TIA

Cathy

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
  • Re: Soups that freeze well - please post yours

Awwwwww come on folks - I KNOW there are some wonderful soup recipes that freeze well, (TNT).  Purdy please?  [:'(]

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Hi! This soup is great to freeze! I have many containers in the feezer right now!~

Borsch (Beet Soup)

2-3 beets (cut into thin strips)
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    1/2 cup of carrots (cut into strips)
    1 large potato (cut into small cubes)
    1/2 cup of green beans (cut into chunks)
    1 tsp of dill weed
    1 tsp of parsley (chopped fine)
    2 cups of cabbage (shredded)
    9 cups of water
    2 tbsps of lemon juice
    1 1/2 tsp of salt
    sour cream to garnish

Cover the beets and carrots with water, add lemon juice & salt & simmer for 30 mins. Add the reat of the vegetables and cook for another 30 mins. Garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream!

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

This freezes well.

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Lentil Soup with Ground Beef

l 1/2 cups dried lentils, washed and sorted
    5 cups cold water
    4 slices bacon, chopped
    l large onion, chopped
    l medium green pepper, chopped
    l large carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
    l cup chopped tomato, fresh or canned
    1/2 pound ground beef
    l can beef broth (I use Swanson's)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
    1/8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
    2 tablespoons vinegar

Combine lentils and water in a large pot and bring to boiling. Lower heat, cover and simmer about 45 minutes.

Now cut up all your vegetables. The lentils will be ready for the remainder of the ingredients when they are ready to go in the pot.

Cook bacon, remove, and saute onion, green pepper and carrots in bacon grease. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Add the vegetables and bacon to the lentils.

Cook ground beef and add it to the pot along with the salt and pepper and vinegar.

Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours

DO NOT leave out the vinegar!  Not sure what it does, but it makes a difference.

Brenda

False

I always freeze chicken noodle soup and it does great. I use linguini as the noodles and they hold up really well to freezing. When my DD or DGKS have a cold or virus, they always call and want to know if I have any chicken noodle soup in the freezer. With fibromyalgia and arthrits and just not feeling well hit me, it's great to have soup in the freezer. {{{{ comfort food}}}   I don't freeze cream soups. Yuck!

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

I'm posting on this to "bump" it up for more replies - however, I do freeze some soups but usually avoid freezing any that have potatoes in the soup.   I think they get too "mealy" when frozen but then they do sell packaged veggies with potatoes in them.   Since I never buy those - not sure how they work.

False
    Tria

up for more

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

bump

False

Thank you all!   I'm surprised to see chicken "noodle" soup - I have wondered about that and would love to keep some in the freezer.  I like Reames noodles and guess I will have to give it a try.  Any more?

Cathy

False

up for more

False

I freeze chicken noodle soup without the noodles. When I heat it I add the noodles. Takes a couple extra minutes, but way better and more versatile. I can add any kind of noodle I am in the mood for or even rice.
    False

I freeze vegetable soup (not with potatoes), taco soup, split pea soup, albondigas (mexican meatball soup), bean soups, chili, etc. Basically anything with a broth base or a tomato base.  I don't freeze anything with potatoes, cream cheese or a cream base.

Beef Vegetable Soup (I tweaked this from how my mom made it)

1 beef roast
    1 large onion, diced
    1 head cabbage, chopped
    1 large can V-8 juice or tomato juice--it is like a quart or so and I always use V-8, I hate tomato juice LOL
    32 oz. frozen mixed vegetables or leftover vegetables (any kind)
    1 c. diced celery
    10 c. water
    2 t. salt
    ½ t. pepper
    (She also put soup beans and potatoes in hers, but I don’t because I freeze a lot of mine and I don't like the texture of frozen cooked potatoes.. She would cook up a pound package of navy beans with a ham bone and put the leftovers in the soup)

Cook roast in crockpot with water until it is tender enough to fall off bones. I usually do this overnight the night before so it will be done by morning. Cut roast into chunks. Put into large soup kettle along with all additional ingredients. Cook on medium for about an hour or until the cabbage get tender.

Crockpot Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup)--my concoction--

About 40 meatballs (I had some already made up, I just used those)
    1/4 c. cooking oil (optional)
    15 1/4 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
    10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
    4 oz. can green chilies, diced, undrained
    2 cans (14 oz. each) beef broth (fat free is what I used)
    3 c. cooked rice (may be leftover)
    1 Bell pepper, diced (optional)
    3 ribs celery, sliced
    2 T. cilantro, chopped (use fresh if using)--optional
    2 T. minced onion (or you could use a pkg. of dry onion soup mix)
    1 c. diced carrots (optional)
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. cumin
    1 t. chili powder
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. pepper
    4-5 c. water

Cook meatballs (in oil if needed). Drain well. Put in bottom of crockpot. Cook celery, Bell pepper and carrots in a little water until tender. I did mine in the microwave. Toss all of it together into the crockpot (that way you get the good vegetable water). Add all other ingredients into the crockpot. Cook on low probably 3-4 hours or high 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add hot water as needed if soup is too thick. You can also add jalapenos or chipotles or whatever you want to this. I like it just the way it is.

Lowfat Taco Soup (MarksMom_PA)--you would never guess this is lowfat

1 lb. ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can chile hot beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can Mexican flavor stewed tomatoes
    1 can stewed tomatoes (any flavor)

Brown meat and onions; drain. Mix Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning mix into meat. Then, without draining, add all of the other ingredients. Simmer 1 hour. Serve with Baked Tostitos chips or homemade baked tortilla chips.
    Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each). WW points: 2.

Ten Minute Chili (Ruby, my pastors wife)

1 pkg. ground beef (I used ground sirloin)
    1 onion, diced
    chili powder to taste (I used 1 t.) garlic powder to taste (I used 1 t.)
    salt to taste (I used about 3/4 t.)
    pepper to taste (I used 1/2 t.)
    1 t. cumin (my tweak--I love cumin)
    2 large cans Hunts diced peeled tomatoes (I think 28 oz can)
    2 large cans Hunts chili beans (I couldn't find Hunts)

Cook ground beef and onion till done. Drain well. Return to pot. Toss in everything else, mix well and heat through. I actually simmered mine a few extra minutes. Sure does make a great quick and easy meal.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon