Hashbrown casserole, but no sour cream and low butter - any recipes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hashbrown casserole, but no sour cream and low butter - any recipes?

Last post Nov 12, 2008 2:06 PM by friedpasta . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Hashbrown casserole, but no sour cream and low butter - any recipes?

Sorry, for some reason I can't get the search to work on this computer, or I would have looked myself...

I want to make a cheesy hashbrown casserole and always make the "typical" one which includes sour cream and about a stick of butter, and we love it. However, I just realized I am out of sour cream and have maybe 1/2 stick butter, if that (have to dig around, may be even less). Are there any recipes for this which don't have sour cream and maybe less butter, but still has the same basic taste? I hate to make it without the s. cream, which I really like, but can't run up to the store to get any today, or more butter. Any help appreciated!

False
  • Re: Hashbrown casserole, but no sour cream and low butter - any recipes?

This is my creation, hope it fits the bill for you!  No sour cream, very low fat, but my whole family loves it and requests it often....

Kelly's Hashbrown Casserole

14 ounces shredded frozen hash browns

1/2 cup diced sweet onion

1/4 cup beef stock (I use beef base mixed with water)

1/2 cup skim milk

2/3 cup shredded 2% cheddar

Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients well and pour into a pie plate or small casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam.  Bake, uncovered, at 400* until lightly browned, about 40 minutes.

Just a note:  I usually microwave the hashbrowns before mixing everything just to cut down on the baking time.  A single batch feeds my family of four with only a tiny bit left over, so if you have big eaters you may want to double the recipe which I have done many times successfully!  Enjoy!

False

Here is the one we like - my DIL usually adds cheese but I don't - to me it's perfect as is.

Nindsy's Best Potato Casserole

1 24 oz bag Mr. Dell's shredded hash browns
    1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
    1 teas salt/pepper to taste

Pour potatoes in buttered 9X13 pan. Pour cream over. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Bake uncovered at 350 until potaotes are glazey and slightly brown on top, about an hour...experient the first time. Can be made with half and half, but recipe is not the same. You owe it to yourself to make it with cream the first time. You will be tempted to add onion and maybe cheddar cheese on top, but again, I urge you to try it once

Source: TOH - Nindsy

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Cheddar potato casserole

1 cup milk

1/4 cup butter (4 Tbls) melted

1 tsp dried onion flakes (I would use fresh)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 pkg (24 oz) frozen hashbrowns, thawed

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, combine milk, butter, onion flakes, salt and pepper. Add potatoes and cheese, mix well. Spread in greased 13x9 baking dish. Bake 1 hour or until bubbly and golden brown.

This is from Pampered Chef and I think I made it and took to a pool party. It was gobbled up!

Salbo

False

Friedpasta, not sure if you have any on hand, but I had to make a substitution once for the same reason - out of sour cream - and now this is the way I make it ALL the time. If you have any canned evaporated milk, just sub the same amount for the sour cream. It works beautifully!

False
    I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thanks, everyone!  What a big help. I ended up with about 1/4C. of butter, melted, which should be okay (I often find it a little greasy, anyway, so may like less better anyway.) All of these are great suggestions that I'm keeping. I haven't had a chance to get to the store so of course I was out of ONE ingredient for everything, so annoying. I may try the evap. milk version today since I actually DO have that - unless it's expired! LOL - I'll have to look, it's been one of those days!

False