Question cooking turkey in 18qt. roaster | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question cooking turkey in 18qt. roaster

Last post Nov 15, 2008 9:54 AM by Pegg_KS . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Question cooking turkey in 18qt. roaster

Has anyone cooked a turkey in an 18 qt. roaster?  How big of a turkey will fit in it and how long to cook.  I'm wondering if I should buy one.

Pat

False
  • Re: Question cooking turkey in 18qt. roaster

I find that they do not brown like in an oven, some finish their in the oven. Personally I would not just purchase one to do turkeys, I use mine for a lot of other things. I bake casseroles mostly. That works just like the oven.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

When my oldest daughter decided to have Thanksgiving at her house she always did the turkey in her 18 qt Nesco and it was always moist and delicious. She usually did an 18# or larger turkey for all the people she had.  We brought lots of the side dishes, etc and made the gravy there and never had any complaints!  I have one that I haven't used but think I'll use it this year as she is coming here for turkey day!  We'll have all the regulars and will cook a smaller turkey since there will only be 4 of us but into the Nesco it will go!  It's great for chili, stew, veg soup that you can portion off and freeze.  Clean up is easy.  I also have the 4 qt Nesco and it's great for me, gave one to both of my daughters and they love them.  I gave my 6 qt to my son and his wife and they love it so I recommend Nesco's and NO, I don't work for them <VBG> You will get a lot of use out of one if you buy one, one year we made 40 or nire Bierocks for a party and put them in there to keep ready for serving and it worked great!!  They are great for lots of things besides your turkey.   Good Luck!!

pegg

False

pegg

I love my Nescos. ( I have 3). Ham is really good in them also.

False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey

I have never used mine for a turkey but use it a lot for soups to share with the family and freeze the rest.  I need to try a turkey one of these days though.   I think my favorite is my 12 qt. Nesco.  I also have their 6 qt. and I don't work for them either.  LOL

Cathy

False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields

Thanks for all your replies.  I guess I will cook it in the roaster.  Thanks for saying you cooked an 18 pounder, as that is what I will have.

Pat 

False

You will get a lot of use out of one if you buy one, one year we made 40 or nire Bierocks for a party and put them in there to keep ready for serving and it worked great!!  They are great for lots of things besides your turkey.   Good Luck!!

what is nire Bierocks?  Please excuse me if this is a typo....

False

You're right - it was a typo - we made 40 or 50 Bierocks (like Runzas) Sorry about the typo - VBG -

pegg

False

pegg

sorry for asking so many questions  but.......what is Runzas or Bierocks.  I've never heard of either.  I'm from the South so I'm thinking this is a Northern Dish????  Thanks!

False

You're right,- Bierocks are of German origin and Runzas but got popular in Nebraska - and then there are the Pasties from up North - but anyway, I'll post a recipe for them - tasty eating!!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bierocks (German Meat Turnovers)

Recipe By     :
    Serving Size  : 12    Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories    : Ground Beef                     Sandwiches
                    Vegetables

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
      2                     loaves frozen bread dough -- (1 pound) thawed
      1              pound  ground beef
      1                     onion -- chopped
      1              clove  garlic -- crushed
      1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
      1 1/2      teaspoons  lemon pepper
      1         small head  cabbage -- chopped
      2        tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
      2          teaspoons  caraway seeds
         1/2           cup  melted butter

Saute beef, onion and garlic, salt and lemon pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat, until beef is browned. Add cabbage, Worcestershire sauce and caraway seeds. Cook until cabbage is limp; drain liquid from mixture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  On a lightly floured board, roll each loaf of dough into a 12 inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Spoon cabbage/beef filling onto center of each dough piece, dividing equally. Pull three points of each wedge up to the center and pinch to seal. Place bierocks on a lightly greased cookie sheet. If desired, brush dough with melted butter or egg wash (1 egg white with 2 tablespoons water). Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot, or wrap and freeze for heating later.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Runza Meat Pies

Recipe By     :
    Serving Size  : 12    Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories    : Appetizers                      Ground Beef
                    Holidays                        Parties
                    Snacks                          Vegetables

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
         1/2           cup  water
         1/2           cup  shortening
      2              small  onions -- chopped
      1              pound  lean ground beef
      1           teaspoon  salt
      2           packages  active dry yeast -- (.25 ounce)
         1/2           cup  sugar
                            FILLING:
         1/2      teaspoon  pepper
      2                     eggs
      4               cups  chopped cabbage
         3/4           cup  milk
      1           teaspoon  salt
      4 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- divided

In a large mixing bowl, place 1-3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Heat milk, water and shortening to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
    Meanwhile, brown beef and onions in a skillet. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted. Punch dough down; roll into 12  6-in. squares. Top each square with 1/3 cup meat mixture. Fold into triangles. Pinch edges tightly to seal and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot. Note: can use bread dough,or make some dough in a bread machine - whatever suits you.

ENJOY!!  pegg

False

pegg