ISO cinnamon ornament recipe that keeps the smell | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO cinnamon ornament recipe that keeps the smell

Last post Dec 11, 2008 5:05 PM by Alliea . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • ISO cinnamon ornament recipe that keeps the smell

Does anyone have a recipe for the cinnamon ornaments that will actually keep the smell?

I have made a few different recipes over the years and they will smell wonderful for a short time.

I am looking for a tried an true recipe that  smells good the NEXT year, or at the very least, for several months.

Crossing my fingers for a great long lasting recipe.

bug

False
  • Re: ISO cinnamon ornament recipe that keeps the smell

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/kidscraftproje_syby.htm

Aromatic cinnamon dough ornaments can be made using ground cinnamon and white craft glue.

Start by mixing together 1 cup of ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons of white craft glue, and approximately ¾ to 1 cup of water. Mix in the water gradually until the right consistency is achieved. Kneed the mixture until it’s well blended and pliable.

Roll out the dough to an approximate thickness of 1/8 inch. Use cookie cutters to create the shapes you desire. Cute cinnamon people can be made using cookie cutters designed for making gingerbread men. Other suggested shapes are stars, Christmas trees, elves, bells, and ornaments. Don’t forget to make a hole in the top of each ornament for hanging.

Allow the cinnamon dough ornaments to dry in a warm location. After they are completely dry, you can decorate them using glitter glue, beads, or other decorative trim of your choice.

Hang your cinnamon ornaments using 1/8-inch wide satin ribbon of various colors. They will provide a long-lasting fragrance that is simply irresistible. Use them as decorations on wrapped gifts, Christmas trees, or hang them in a sunny window where they’ll emit a delicious cinnamon scent.

Make sets of these special ornaments to give away as gifts to those you love. Package them in a festive Christmas tin, and protect them with layers of colored tissue paper. When stored in an airtight container, these unique ornaments will retain their mouth-watering cinnamon scent for years to come.

I have not made this particular one but the poster claims the scent lasts a long time. Sounds like the key is in the storage~Alliea

What I have had great results with is taking an orange and covering it completely with whole cloves. Start the holes first with something  pointed like a Knitting needle . Wear gloves if possible because the cloves are sharp!

These lasted so long- the orange hardens and the clove scent remains.~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Clove and Citrus Pomanders

Clove and citrus pomanders are sweet-smelling, fruity decorations that also make cheery Christmas gifts.

clove and citrus pomander
    Make clove and citrus pomanders to fill your house with the scent of Christmas.

­

What You'll Need:

Oranges or lemons
    Thin nail
    Cloves
    Thin string
    Ribbon
    Scissors

Make small holes in the orange skin with the thin nail, covering the entire orange with holes.

Making clove and citrus pomanders is a fun and easy.
    Poking small holes in the orange skin is the first step
    in making your clove and citrus pomander.

Stick a clove in each hole. If you don't want to cover the whole orange, you can make striped or heart designs on the orange.

The second step in making clove and citrus pomanders is filling the holes with cloves.
    Cloves are placed in the holes of the orange.

When you have finished your design, temporarily tie a string around the orange, from the bottom to the top, with a loop at the top for hanging. Hang the pomander in a cool, dry place until the orange begins to shrink a bit.

Remove the string when the orange is dry; replace it with a colored ribbon, tied in the same way, with a loop at the top for hanging.

For a variation, use a lemon instead of an orange. Make a whole grove of fragrant pomanders for your family and friends!

- FROM THE HOW STUFF WORKS SITE

False

Alliea
    mixing together 1 cup of ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons of white craft glue, and approximately ¾ to 1 cup of water. Mix in the water gradually until the right consistency is achieved.

Thanks AllieaThese sound worth trying. The ones I made had applesauce and these have water. I may try these.

bug

False

Hummmmmm I think i'll try some of these too Alliea, they sound so neat. I also do scented pinecones by dipping them in scented, colored wax, origionally made to be firestarters, but since I have no fireplace and they smell really  good  for a long time, i make 3-5 and pile them in a decorative bowl.with greenery all around them. Very pretty and the whole housesmells goo.

False

Where do you get the scented wax Deonia- a candle or something else?

Those sound Nice~Alliea

False

Alliea, I made the ornaments. So far so good! Smell great and all went well cutting them out. They are drying now with the holes in them. I added extra ground cloves. Thanks for the help.

Deonia, I am wondering where to get the scented wax too? That sounds like a great idea since you said it holds the smell.

bug

False

Bumping for Deonia.Big Smile

Alliea, I forgot to mention that I made the oranges studded with cloves in years past. I love them too. I still have one that my daughter made me maybe 20 years ago. Not very pretty now, but holds alot of memories and still has scent!

bug

False

Your post made me want to try the Ornaments too lightningbug. I thought your addition of cloves was a good idea.

. I need to buy some white glue today.

I totally agree re: How long the Clove studded oranges last. I too had them for years and they brought back great memories plus retained their scent .~Alliea

False

Hi Bug Smile- I decided to make some of the Cinnamon ornaments too and I  really liked your idea of adding Ground Cloves.

Reaching for what I thought was my Ground cloves I pulled out a bottle of Whole Cloves so I just went with that idea....

.I cut out Small stars with my Pampered Chef star cutter ( only about one inch diameter-you could make them bigger though of course and add more cloves.) and Inserted a whole clove in each point and one in the center.I am going  to arrange  these on a Christmas Themed Plate or in Small Christmas Themed basket.

Great scent and they look sure  cute too.

Good craft to make with Children as well I think.~Alliea

False

What an adorable idea! I like the idea of the small cutouts. They would dry quicker too.

bug

False

What brand of "white craft glue" do you use??  I ask at Hobby Lobby for white craft glue and all the clerk could say was " I don't know????" 

False

I professionally have taught art and crafts. The one I use and others similar have used is the following:

Take a jar or can of apple sauce let it drain over night. Mix as much cinnamon as possible ( it can take a lot) in it to make it pliable like workable dough. Roll out between two paper towels. Cut with cookie cutters. *** a hole somewhere in it to later place a ribbon through hole to use to tie up decoration somewhere. Place on a paper towel lined cookie sheet. Set somewhere to dry. Rotate each day until dry. The aroma smells wonderful.  You can take acrylic paint then to decorate with designs if you prefer. Great children craft. To store for another year, place in a container or shoe box and store ornaments in between paper or paper towel and watch how you lay them so they don't break. If for some reason they don't smell the next year. Paint lightly with cinnamon oil, to refresh cinnamon smell. These ornaments can last a long time if stored properly. Make great gift tags or to arrange on tables for center pieces, also great to hang on the Christmas tree especially if children made them.

False

This time I found I did not want  applesauce or a food product .

I purchased the school glue .............. just a white glue like Elmer's - It worked great and was very scented  + plyable and could not Spoil.

I especially liked Bug's idea of cloves and the inserted whole cloves IMO made it better than previous methods I have tried.~Alliea

False

Smile

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/