Jalapeno Pepper Poppers---Like Sonic---Attention Scotts Grace | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jalapeno Pepper Poppers---Like Sonic---Attention Scotts Grace

Last post Nov 18, 2008 8:19 AM by MissBetty . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Jalapeno Pepper Poppers---Like Sonic---Attention Scotts Grace
    Ingredients12 fresh jalapeños
    3 ounces coarsely grated Cheddar (1 cup)
    3 ounces coarsely grated Monterey Jack (1 cup)
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    3 large eggs
    1 cup plain fine dry bread crumbs
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    About 4 cups vegetable oil
    Equipment: a deep-fat thermometerPreparationCut a lengthwise slit from stem to bottom of each chile. Make a crosswise incision at stem end, forming a T. Pry open enough to hold back long cuts (to expose ribs and seeds), then devein and seed using tip of a paring knife and kitchen shears.Stir together cheeses, hot sauce, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.Fill chiles with cheese mixture, pressing seams closed after filling, so that cheese is compacted and chile retains its shape.Lightly beat eggs in a small shallow bowl. Stir together bread crumbs, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip chiles in egg, letting excess drip off, then coat with bread crumbs, transferring to a work surface. Repeat coating with egg and crumbs to form a second layer. Heat 2 inches oil to 325°F in a medium saucepan. Fry chiles in 3 batches, stirring occasionally, until golden brown all over, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to several layers of paper towels to drain. Return oil to 325°F between batches.

False
  • Re: Jalapeno Pepper Poppers---Like Sonic---Attention Scotts Grace

I have a recipe for Jalapeno Poppers also.  Very simple actually.

Jalapeona Peppers

1 block of Cream Cheese

1 pound of bacon.

Slit peppers down one side and clean out all of the seeds (please use gloves to do this).  If you want to make it easier you can cut them in half and this will work also. 

Stuff pepper with cream cheese.

Cut each slice of bacon into two pieces and wrap each pepper with one piece of bacon. 

Place on a cookies sheet with cream cheese side up.  Bake at 350 until bacon is done.  Remove from oven and serve on platter  and watch them dissapear.  If ther are any leftovers they reheat in the microwave very well.

False

Becca,i copied your recipe.I love jalopeno poppers.Thanks Betty

False

Miss Betty, I copied your recipe. Love the poppers. I have two different recipes for them. One is Armadillo eggs. When we have a lot of jalapenos, I do them on the bbq grill to give them a smoky flavor.

Marilyn

False

Oh thank you! I'm keeping both of these!!

Shannon

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Hi Marilyn,could you post your recipes.Thanks Betty

False

Betty, I'm sorry it's so late that I'll post the recipes tomorrow. It's almost 11 my time and I just now saw your request. I have to look for the recipes but I'll lay them by the computer so I dont' forget.

Marilyn

False

Thanks Marilyn~Betty

False

Betty, this is one that I really like.

Ortega Hot Poppers

1 (3.5 oz can whole jalapenos
      1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
      1 (3 oz) package cream cheese
      1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
      2 eggs
      2 c. corn flake cereal

Cut jalapenos in 1/2 lengthwise. Remove seeds. (I leave mine whole. Make a slice down the side to remove seeds and stuff.)
    Combine cheddar cheese, cream cheese and cilantro in small bowl. Place 1-1 1/2 tsp. cheese mixture into each jalapeno. Chill for at least 15 min. until cheese is firm.

Dip each jalapeno in flour ; shake off excess. Dip into egg; coat with corn flake crumbs.

Add oil to 1" deep. Heat over high heat for 1 min. Fry jalapenos, turning frequently with tongs, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet & drain on paper towels. Serve with Ortega Thick & Chunky Salsa and sour cream. ( I deep fry mine)

Marilyn

False

Betty here is one that  I got out of the Houston Chronicle recipe section years ago. My brother used to work there & sent the paper to me.

Armadillo Eggs

2 ( 6 oz pkgs shredded Monterey Jack Cheese) or your favorite cheese

1-1/2 c.Bisquick

1/2 lb. sausage

1 (1 lb 10 oz) can whole jalapenos, seeded

1 (6 oz) box (2 envelopes) seasoned coating for pork (Shake n Bake)

2 eggs, beaten

Mix Bisquick, sausage and half the cheese. Stuf the peppers with the remaining cheese. Pinch together tightly.

Roll the dough 1/4" thick. Wrap each jalapeno in dough. Remove excess dough &  seal completely. Shape like an egg. Roll "eggs" in coating mix, dip in egg then back into the coating mix again.

Bake at 325º 20 - 25 min. Makes about 10. May be made ahead and reheated. ( I freeze mine & just use what I need at the time)

These may take a lot of time but boy are they good.

False

Marilyn,Thank You for both recipes.They both sound delicious.I will be trying both of them.

False