What is the secret to flaky pie crust? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the secret to flaky pie crust?

Last post Nov 20, 2008 7:30 PM by OshOn . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What is the secret to flaky pie crust?

Is there a secret to making a really flaky pie crust every time.  Could we have some recipes and tips.

Thanks

False
  • Re: What is the secret to flaky pie crust?

Here's a great site that would help you alot, Connie

http://www.piechef.com/

False

Handle the dough as little as absolutely possible.  When mixing, mix until just pulls together.

I roll once and only use the scraps for cinnamon sugar strips. I don't re-use and re-roll...makes the dough tough when you over work it.

False

Hi Pat, actually the "secret" to flakey crust is trapping the pieces of cold shortening between the layers of flour that has been moistened with water.

The PieChef site is an absolutely great site to go to to learn about the measurments for a no-fail crust every time. And she explains, in detail, different procedures.

But if that "flakiness" is what you desire, I suggest you chill your flour and shortening before making. and use ice water also. When I make pie crust I chill the flour and shortening, and cut it in with a food processor or a pastry cutter until the shortening is the size of peas.And don't laugh at this cause it works really well.( if you try it you'll see it does)

I use a "sippy cup", the kind that has the little snap on top that lets the liquid out slowly.( it works almost like a salt shaker)  I measure my ammount of water i'm using for ever how many crusts i'm making, and once I have my shortening cut into my flour, I sprinkle the required ammount of water into that mix, tossing with a fork as I do so.

Then I put it all in a ziplock bag and put it back into the fridge for about 15 minutes to make sure it's cold. ( this keeps those little pea-sized pieces of shortening hard) Then I roll it out and put it in my pie pan, pop it into the freezer for 10 minutes and then bake as directed. The crust comes out flakey every time. Wink  I know this is a lot of pains to go to, but if you really want a flaky crust, it works! Try it sometime and let me know how it goes.Big Smile

False

I don't have a recipe, but a woman I knew in Canada made the best pie crust I've ever had. I watched her make it, and I was surprised that one of the ingredients was vineger. I'm not a chemist (or much of a baker for that matter) but the vineger made it flakey.

False

Deonia, I'm going to try your procedure.  You sound like a pro.

False

I have a nice crust every time! Perhpas because I am Canadian? lol

Just kidding.

Here is the recipe I use, the trick it to keep everything cold and to work it as little as possible.

Perfect Pie Crust.

Put a glass of cold water and put it into the freezer for 10 minutes.

2 cups of flour

1 tsp of salt

3/4 cup of shortening

1 egg slightly beaten

1 tap of vinegar

Water

Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening. Place eggs and vinegar in 1/2 cup and add the cold water from the freezer to make a full half cup. Stir this into the flour mixture working as little as possible. It is okay to have chuncks of shortening in the crust, it does not have to be worked in to be a smooth dough. Roll to fit pie plate.

Makes 2 crusts or one double crust pie.

If prebaking, bake at 375*C for 8-10 minutes.

Redawna

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

LOL, thanks, but sometimes it's not what you put in a recipe, but how you put it in. I used to watch my Bigmother make pie crusts and for years they were my nemesis, until I finally learned  the reason behind the method. I'm a perfectionist in cooking and it drives me crazy sometimes. I am determined to "get it right" if it hairlips the governor!LOL

And Wicked stepmother is also right-on about not handling the dough too much. If you do, the warmth of your hands begins to melt the shortening and the layers won't form correctly for that flakiness. That is so important to me,that when I make danish, I have a slab of marble that is the top of my dishwasher ( got it at a builder surplus store) on which I fold and roll the dough to keep it properly chilled.Good luck and please let me know how your crust turnes out..Wink

PS, the piechef site is the very best for the measurement of your ingredients for the different crusts. I havn't tried the butter one yet, but when I make my next apple pie, i'm going to try it out. Bon Appetit` from The Occasional Cook, a Cook for all Occasions!

False

Alton Brown did something intresting on a Thanksgiving show the other night. He used butter and shortening in his pie crust. After chilling it and taking it out of the fridge he placed in on wax paper. Folded the paper over the dough and rolled it out. You can find his recipe on Food Network. If you can't find it let me know and I will get it for you. I have never made it but am going to try it.

False

When you blend the shortening and flour, only blend until the pieces are pea size.  That is the secret.

You can re-roll pastry if you use Crisco

False