How long can you keep Molassas & Karo Syrup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How long can you keep Molassas & Karo Syrup

Last post Nov 24, 2008 10:48 PM by cooking71 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How long can you keep Molassas & Karo Syrup

I'm cleaning the pantry and came across 2 bottles of Karo Syrup and a bottle of Molassas.  I'm not sure how long they have been in there.  Does anyone know their shelf life?

Thanks,

Jan

False
  • Re: How long can you keep Molassas & Karo Syrup

I use mine until it starts to crystalize, then you can heat it up once more and use it and then after that I get rid of it.....

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

No crystals so I guess I'm okay with them all. With the cost of everything I hate to buy new if these are still okay. Thank, Jan
    False

I've had some molassas that probably came over on the Mayflower!  I used it last year and it was fine although less potent flavored.  Wish molasses was available in little one cup or smaller size bottles.  I use maybe a quarter cup with cookies at Christmas time then the rest of year it sits forgotten in the back of the cupboard.  I don't refrigerate my molasses.  Karo doesn't last too long at this house so can't give any advice about that.

False
    Thanksgiving is good but thanks-living is better. Matthew Henry 1662-1714

nix_mom, My molassas may have come on the same ship as yours.   I use very little molassas and also wish they would sell it in smaller amounts. 
    False

My ancient Karo has developed mold on occasion, then I pitch it. If it is clear and smells sweet, I use it.

False

Generally, molasses have a shelf life of 2 years, and corn syrups, 1 year.  Sometimes recipes won't turn out as well when using older ingredients.

False

Why not sell the Molasses in a tube? I don' tuse it very often either because I don' tlike molasses cookies. Someone needs to start t thread with recipes so we can use up our bottles! lol 

False