rules for a cookie swap? I'd like to host a cookie swap and have | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

rules for a cookie swap? I'd like to host a cookie swap and have

Last post Dec 03, 2008 1:41 PM by ChocolateQueen . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • rules for a cookie swap? I'd like to host a cookie swap and have
    had some bad experience-people bring store bought or no-bake cookies. I'd like to have rules--maybe even no bar cookies, but don't want to be a scrooge. Have any of you had "rules" before?
    False
  • Re: rules for a cookie swap? I'd like to host a cookie swap and have
    bump
    False

Hi aubie! Sorry you had a bad experience with your cookie exchange. Don't let that discourage you. Here is the web address to a woman named Robin who was featured in the Taste Of Home magazine Country Woman January 2008, pages 34 and 35 for her annual cookie exchanges www.robinsweb.com/cookies/cookie-invite.html  On her site you will find  the rules of a cookie exchange, cookie recipes, tips and ideas for hosting your own cookie exchange and pictures of some of her previous cookie exchanges. I hope you enjoy her site and I hope it is a help and inspiration to you. I don't see a problem at all with a few rules or requirements for you to have concerning your cookie exchange. I think it helps to avoid problems like store bought cookies for a cookie exchange. You can buy store bought cookies any day. But, I think a cookie exchange should consist of freshly baked homemade cookies, good friends and lots of fun! Lots of great cookie recipes from great bakers right here on this bulletin board!  

False

Hi Aubie ~ One thing that might help is to have people bring half a dozen cookies per person and copies of the recipes.  Most people have so many sweets at this time of year that you don't need to have a dozen of each cookie to bring home, especially if you have any more than 5 people coming.  This also seems much less intimidating to the people you are inviting ~ if you are inviting 10 people, telling each of them to make 10 dozen cookies is a bit overwhelming.  But, most recipes make 4 dozen cookies, so making 5 dozen isn't such an overwhelming thought.

You can definitely say please don't bring store bought cookies.  Honestly, I wouldn't ban bar cookies ~ they are usually really good, and a couple recipes I only make at the holidays are bar cookies.  They may not be super fancy, but I wouldn't ban them. 

Hope you have fun!  I love cookie exchanges :)

False

Thanks so much!
    False

Dog  I love cookie swaps...  they are soooo fun if you can get everyone to follow the rules.  The ones I did...   you bake 5-6 dozen cookies of one kind....  then when it is time for the swap...  you only take as many cookies as you bring....    plus the last one I was in also had everyone give the recipe.  So I printed mine up on recipe cards...  that was a nice feature. I was even to one where they had you bring some extra for sampling!!  One bad note though...  one gal had the nerve to bring burnt cookies....  I mean they were BLACK..   I was not too impressed at this & thought it was extremely tacky to do this.  Oh yes NO store boughts.

False

When I have hosted cookie swaps I have said homemade cookies.  I don't see the problem with bar or no bakes. I have seen a book that was all no bake cookies, you wouldn't believe the variety available.

Can you explain your reason between wanting to ban these 2 categories?

False