cooking condensed milk in the can..... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cooking condensed milk in the can.....

Last post Dec 06, 2008 1:05 AM by Deonia . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • cooking condensed milk in the can.....

I have done this before, but can't remember how long to cook it.  I'm not too concerned about the safety, since I had no problems before (hope I don't have to eat these words), and kept the simmer very low and also kept the cans fully covered with water.  I want to use the caramel for a pie (O"Charley's Caramel Pie) and can't remember how long it should simmer.  If you have done this in the past, how long did you cook it?  Thanks.

False
  • Re: cooking condensed milk in the can.....

The rules I was given were:

1.  Use the cans that you have to cut with a can opener, NOT the ones you pull open or they will pop open while cooking.

2.  Remove labels and place in pan, then cover cans with water.

3.  Keep cans covered and on a slow boil for 3 hours.

4.  Use two or three cans for one store-bought graham cracker crust

I made one of these a couple of years ago, and it was DELICIOUS but very RICH.  I heard that slices of this pie sold for $4 at a county fair somewhere once!

False

Here is the recipe I used and it was sooooo good!!!

O'Charley Carmel Pie Recipe

1 large graham cracker crust

2 cans sweeten condensed milk

1 small container Cool Whip

1 small pkg.chopped pecans

1 package Nestle's mintature chocolate chips

Directions

Peel paper from cans of Eagle Brand Milk.Place cans on their sides

in a large pot and cover completely in cold water. Slowly bring pot to

a rolling boil and boil for 3 hours making sure to turn cans every 30

minutes or so.

At the end of 3 hours allow cans to cool for 1 hour- ( at least - this part is

VERY important).Open cans of milk and spread into pie pans.

Cover with cool whip sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips

all over the top of the pie. Refrigerate for 8 hours. DELICOUS.

You can also pour your sweeten condense milk into a 1 quart slow cooker and cook for 6 to 7 hours until color of peanut butter.

False
    orignalred /Shelia

My niece used to work for O'Charley's and she said the recipe by Origional Red is the one they used.

As an FYI, I cook the caramel as specified below and use that as my icing for a jam cake my Bigmother used to make with her homemade Blackberry jam. It's to die for! She made her BBjam by cooking equal parts of blackberries and sugar until thick. I make this jam this wawy especially for these cakes LOL

False

I just laid 3 cans in crock pot and put on high and cooked for 3 hours after it boiled and it works great! You don't have to keep adding water all the time. I make turtles with the caramel.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

This pie is so good (but, very, very rich) that I've decided to make 4 gift baskets for Christmas and include a graham cracker crust, two cans of the cooked caramel, a package of Dream Whip, some chopped pecans and mini chocolate chips.  I think they'll love it.

False

Sounds great and what a wonderful idea about the crockpot!

False

I have been making this pie for many years, with one exception-I add a layer of sliced bananas. It is wonderful, and I have 2 cans boiling right now.

I cook mine for 6-8 hours. I have tried it for less, and it does carmelize, and you can pour it. When you cook it longer, it firms up, and you can actually slice the caramel. Whatever way you cook it-it is wonderful stuff!

Tammy

False

When you cook yours in the crockpot is this after you bring to a boil  on the stoveand then pour  the water in the crockpot and put on high and cook for 3 hours ?

Shelia

False
    orignalred /Shelia

I found this on line:

Caramel Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

Remove label from can. Place unopened can in the bottom of a very deep pot, such as a deep dutch oven. Cover with water so that the water is 3 to 4-inches above the can. Bring the water to a boil and boil steadily for four (4) hours.

Note: You must make sure that the can is always totally covered with water. Never let the water level get down to the top of the can, because this could cause the can to explode.

Don't worry, I've been doing this for years and years. At Easter time I boil 2 to 3 cans at once. After the four (4) hours is up, remove the can with tongs and place on a wire rack to cool. Be assured, the can will not explode. Refrigerate. When can is cold, open and you will have soft caramel; even the color is caramel. The only bad thing about boiling this one can is that you will be sorry you didn't boil two or three.

Per serving: 982 Calories; 27g Fat (24% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 166g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium

I've never done this but have seen warnings that the can can explode & cause severe burns.

False

I make cans of this every Christmas. Then I design my own lable on the computer with some cute apple graffics, call it Lori's Apple Dip and paste it on the cans. I add it to a basket of granny smith apples and give them away to the neighbors every year. I usually boil mine for three hours. I check it every 15 minutes and as the water boils away I add a cup or two of hot tap water to the pan.

I have never had a can explode, but just to be safe, I don't let the kids in the kitchen while I make it.

False

I love all these ideas! esspecially the crockpot boiling and the legnth of time to boil if wanting it spreadable.There is just always something new to be learned about an old recipe or process. Thanks for all the info.Wink

False