IN SEARCH OF entenmanns style crumb coffee cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

IN SEARCH OF entenmanns style crumb coffee cake

Last post Dec 07, 2008 7:08 AM by tango7 . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • IN SEARCH OF entenmanns style crumb coffee cake

Confused trying hard to find this recipe did check several sites but no cigar lol!!! my fam loves the moist cake with a seriously thick layer of crumbs on top, but i just can't seem to find a really good new york style crumb cake recipe, can someone possibly help, greatly appreciatedDog  Theresa

False
  • Re: IN SEARCH OF entenmanns style crumb coffee cake

Very good rosie, just like you said, close to Entermanns. We will BE keeping this recipe
    . Thank you, .....Big_ BUD

As requested here is the recipe for our favorite coffee cake. It is SO good and tastes just like Entemann's crumb cake.
     Posted by: rosiepie

New York Crumb Cake

2 T canola oil, plus more for the pan
    4 C all purpose flour, plus more for pan

1/2 C sugar
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 large egg
    1/2 c milk
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 C packed light brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 C (2sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled **
    powdered sugar for dusting

Place rack in center of oven and heat to 325. Lightly brush a 9x13 pan with canola oil and dust with flour, and tap to remove excess

In medium bowl sift together 1 1/2 C flour, sugar baking powder, and salt - set aside. In a second bowl wisk together egg, milk, canola oil and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and set aside. In medium bowl combine remaining 2 1/2 C flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over top and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs over batter.

Place pan in hot oven and bake, rotating after 10 mins. Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean, about 10 mins more.

Transfer pan to a cooling rack, to cool. Dust with powdered sugar. Using a serrated knife cut into 3 inch squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

**Note: I always use regular butter, not unsalted, and I use pam spray for baking instead of canola oil and flour.
    False
  • Re: IN SEARCH OF entenmanns style crumb coffee cake
    Posted by: msrecipe Replies: 11 Posted on: 2/19/2005 3:21:03 PM
    #T478692
    I have been searching for a recipe that duplicates Entenmann's crumb cake and found several. This is the recipe I made last week and it is a delicious replica without using yeast in the base. I found it on another site, Recipezaar I believe. I'll be making this often and will probably try putting it in two 8-inch square pans so we'll have one to eat and one to freeze for a later date. Anyone who loves crumb cake will devour these big, lumpy crumbs for sure.

Dottie

Crumb Coffee Cake (like Entenmann’s)

3 3/4 cups flour
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    1/4 pound butter (l stick), softened
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup milk

Topping:
    1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 pinch salt
    confectioner’s sugar (for dusting)

(1) Mix together in a large bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, salt; and set aside 2 cups of this mixture for the topping.
    (2) Add butter, eggs and milk to flour mixture in large bowl and mix well.
    (3) Grease and flour a 13-inch rectangle baking pan. (I used PAM spray w/flour)
    (4) Spread batter in prepared pan.
    (5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    (6) For Topping: Take the 2 cups of reserved flour mixture and add to the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix together with your fingers until blended and lumps begin to form when you squeeze the mixture making small pea-sized crumbs.
    (7) Cover the entire cake with the crumbly mixture.
    (8) Bake for 30 minutes.
    (9) When cooled, dust with confectioner’s sugar

I've made this several times & it's fabulous!!
    False