Christmas Lizzies...a fruit cake like cookie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Christmas Lizzies...a fruit cake like cookie

Last post Dec 15, 2008 11:33 PM by Margielou_wa . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Christmas Lizzies...a fruit cake like cookie

This recipe is from a red hat ladies' website.  I'm going to make them tomorrow for a party. If I don't have bourbon, do you think it would be okay to substitute orange juice?  If not, what would you suggest? There is a lot of snow in my driveway and I don't want to brave the roads around here to go shopping.

Christmas Lizzies

1/2 C sugar
    1/3 C sweet butter
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 T milk
    1/2 C bourbon
    1 1/2 - 2 C sifted flour
    1# pecan pieces
    1# dates, chopped
    1# candied cherries
    1# pineapple (mixed colors)

Prepare fruit and nuts by mixing with half the flour (keeps the fruit from becoming sticky). Cream together the butter and sugar, add beaten eggs one at a time.

Sift remaining flour with soda and salt and add to egg mixture. Add liquids and then add the fruits and nuts. (mixture is very thick; use hands to mix)

Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheets and bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until medium brown.

False
  • Re: Christmas Lizzies...a fruit cake like cookie

bump for an answer, please

False

I don't know if you can use OJ but will give you a bump and maybe someone will help you out. These do sound good.

False
    Photobucket

It wouldn't be quite the same flavor; but if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute oj for bourbon.

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

My dear friend made these every Christmas and shared them with me.  I loved them!  They really are delicious.  The liquor adds that certain something, but orange juice would be a perfectly fine substitute.  Her recipe came from Woman's Day magazine and they always specified that you could do that substitution.  Enjoy!

Lorraine

False

I first received this recipe about 50 years ago, and only one time did I try the bourbon.  You definitely can taste it.  I'd rather use the orange juice, and if there should happen to be any kids that will eat these, they won't like the bourbon taste either.  These are a wonderful substitution for fruit cake and I just love them.  Haven't made them in several years now, though.

Carolyn

False

Thanks for responding.  I'm going to try the oj since there will be children eating them. 

Marge

False