Help! Need to convert a recipe quantity DOWNWARD from 100 to 16 servings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! Need to convert a recipe quantity DOWNWARD from 100 to 16 servings

Last post Jan 03, 2009 8:50 PM by ms__gehrke . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Help! Need to convert a recipe quantity DOWNWARD from 100 to 16 servings

Help!

I have a recipe that serves 100 and I need to convert it to serve 16.  I have found several websites, but I have not found one that can do this.  Most of them SAY that they can DEcrease a recipe, but if so, I've not found the place to do just that on the sites - only places to INcrease the size. 

Does anyone know of a website that will do that - I put "Recipe Conversion" in Google and I've checked out many of the sites listed, just haven't been able to find a site that can actually do it for me.

I HAVE to reduce this recipe by 6 - something that's not real easy to figure out even on my handy dandy kitchen calculator - it turns up a lot of "Error" messages instead of amounts.  GRRR!

Thanks for any websites that you can give me that will actually work. 

Paulette

False
  • Re: Help! Need to convert a recipe quantity DOWNWARD from 100 to 16 servings

Can you print the recipe.

One of us here can probably help.

Some sites that reduce recipes have Very Major accuracy  errors re: ingredient amounts/percentages .

I have this  noticed on several occasions so read them over carefully if you use one..I always prefer to verify quantities myself. 

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Paulette,  go to   recipezarr.   You can reduce recipes.  Not sure if you have to join or not. 

False

Here's the recipe - it's the "ounces" that are throwing me for a loop.  I mean - how much is 2-2/3 OUNCES of brown sugar anyway - I need to know it in cups, teaspoons, or anything but ounces!  LOL 

This is a recipe that Stayhomemom_tn posted and I want to try it using 2# of ground beef rather than 12!  LOL 

Spaghetti sauce:

12 lbs ground beef
    5 1/3 ounces dehydrated onions
    1/2 cup garlic powder
    2 #10 cans tomatoes, with liquid, chopped
    1 #10 can tomato paste
    5 1/3 ounce beef base
    2 2/3 ounces brown sugar
    1/4 cup ground basil
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup dried oregano
    1/4 cup dried parsley
    2 Tab salt
    1 tab pepper

Brown ground beef and drain well. Rinse ground beef with hot water and drain well. Add onions and garlic powder, cook for 5 minutes. Add remiaing ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
    Yields 100 servings

We still make it at the school. It's very good!!

False

A #10 can holds three qts  ....96 ounces. Times that by two for the tomatoes and divide by one sixth. For the tomato paste, divide the 96 by one sixth. If you can't find a conversion for the 1/4 cup ingredients I would measure 1/4 cup of the ingredient out and then separate into 6 equal measures, maybe using tablespoons. Go to google and see if you can find any help there. That's where I found the #10 can info.

Elizabeth

False

4 tablespoons =2 ounces or 1/4 cup

False

U.S. EQUIVALENTS

METRIC

Dash

less than 1/8 teaspoon

1 teaspoon

60 drops

1 1/3 fluid grams

5 ml.

1 tablespoon

3 teaspoons

4 fluid grams

15 ml.

2 tablespoons

1 fluid ounce

30 ml.

4 tablespoons

1/4 cup

60 ml.

5 1/3 tablespoons

1/3 cup

80 ml.

6 tablespoons

3/8 cup

90 ml.

8 tablespoons

1/2 cup

120 ml.

10 2/3 tablespoons

2/3 cup

160 ml.

12 tablespoons

3/4 cup

180 ml.

16 tablespoons

1 cup or 8 ounces

240 ml.

1 cup

1/2 pint or 8 fluid ounces

240 ml. or .236 liter (1/4 liter)

2 cups

1 pint

480 ml.

1 pint

16 ounces

480 ml. or .473 liter

4 1/3 cups

1 quart 2 ounces

1 liter (1,000 milliliters)

1 quart

2 pints

960 ml. or .946 liter

2.1 pints

1.05 quarts or .26 gallons

1 liter

2 quarts

1/2 gallon

4 quarts

1 gallon

3.785 liters

.035 ounces

1 gram

2.205 pounds

1 kilogram

1 ounce

16 drams

28 grams

1 pound (16 ounces)

453.6 grams

1 pound (2 cups liquid)

2.20 pounds

1 kilo

LINEAR LENGTH

CENTIMETERS

1 inch
    1 foot
    1 yard
    1 meter

2.54 centimeters
    30.48 centimeters
    91.44 centimeters
    39.37 inches

LIQUID MEASURE

MILLILITERS

1/4 teaspoon
    1/2 teaspoon
    3/4 teaspoon
    1 teaspoon
    1 1/4 teaspoons
    1 1/2 teaspoons
    1 3/4 teaspoons
    2 teaspoons
    1 tablespoon
    2 tablespoons

1.25 ml
    2.5 ml
    3.75 ml
    5.0 ml
    6.25 ml
    7.5 ml
    8.75 ml
    10.0 ml
    15.0 ml
    30 ml

LITERS

1/4 cup
    1/2 cup
    3/4 cup
    1 cup
    1 1/4 cups
    1 1/2 cups
    2 cups
    2 1/2 cups
    3 cups
    3 1/2 cups
    4 cups
    4 1/2 cups
    5 cups
    5 1/2 cups

False

1/2 the recipe would serve 50

1/4  of the recipe  or 3 pounds of beef would serve 25........

I would opt for more rather than less .Also easier to divide by 4

. It should freeze  very well also . I would account for the fact that  some people have larger appetites and I could refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

False

Ok - here's the deal, I had TWO pounds of hamburger and there's a snowstorm outside so I wasn't going to be going out to fetch anything from the store.  I could convert everything, aside from the brown sugar that's in ounces when normally it'd be in cups, etc.  As we've seen with things like Cool Whip - a 16oz container does NOT equal 2 cups, so I'm a wee bit hesitant to assume that dividing the 2-2/3 ounces of brown sugar by six and then converting it to cups is going to be the right amount.  I'll do my homework and drag out the brown sugar bag and figure out exactly how much equals one ounce, etc.

Since starting this post, I've made the spaghetti sauce using my own recipe, but I'll be trying this recipe out and just dividing it in 4 and going from there.  I was just trying to avoid going to the store in this weather tonight.

I'll post the revised recipe, along with a review, once I make it.

Thank you for your input though, I just wish that I had started this earlier in the day so I didn't have to be in such a rush to get it made. 

False

I would stop beating your head against the wall regarding the brown sugar and just do it by taste.

Elizabeth

False

2 pounds of meat for 16 people is very skimpy for my friends

but you need to do what you have to do I guess .

Maybe they are small  portion eaters ?

False

Paulette, here is a link GoConvert.com  Cooking, don't know if it will help you or not, Connie

http://www.goconvert.com/cgi-bin/cooking.asp

False

LOL - No Aleida - I just divided the number of servings in the recipe (100) by 6 to come up with that number!  LOL 

I've got it all worked out now so all is well and I'll be trying it soon.

False