ISO Rec: Loose Hambergers, or Scrambled Hambergers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Rec: Loose Hambergers, or Scrambled Hambergers

Last post Jan 15, 2009 1:19 PM by PRCA . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • ISO Rec: Loose Hambergers, or Scrambled Hambergers

There was a place in Saginaw Michigan located in the Baranger Building that sold "loose" or "scrambled" hambergers .  Looking for something similiar. Help Please.

False
  • Re: ISO Rec: Loose Hambergers, or Scrambled Hambergers

I've never really heard of these..at first all I could think of was sloppy joes...here's a recipe I found on cooks.com:  I just googled it.  there are actually more recipes if you wan to check  them out.

SCRAMBLED HAMBURGERS  
    1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (lean)
    1 can French onion soup
    Dash black pepper
    1/2 c. tomato sauce or catsup
    Pinch of oregano
    Brown meat in skillet, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients and simmer a few minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.

They sound good..Maybe I'll try them.

Twila*

False

Photobucket

RE: 'Loose Meat' Sandwiches, anyone ever have one?
    Posted by: 22busy Posted on: 12/3/2005 8:19:20 AM
    #R6805722

In our neck of the woods we call them taverns--some call them maid rites, sloppy joes and various other names.

The recipes are as varied as the names this sandwich goes by, LOL.

I start with a a simple recipe. Brown ground beef and chopped oinons, add salt and pepper to taste.

Most recipes I have seen use ketchup, a little mustard ( as in 1 tsp. only) and chili powder. Some add just little Worcestershire. One of my friends likes hers sweeter and so she adds brown sugar to her ketchup.

False

Iowa-Style Loosemeat Sandwiches 

1 pound twice-ground beef I used the regular grind

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard

1 (12-ounce) can or bottle of beer (do not use light beer)

In a medium frying pan, brown the beef over medium-high heat, then drain it in a colander. Return beef to the pan and stir in the onion flakes, pepper, salt, sugar, mustard, and beer. Simmer, partially covered, over medium heat until liquid is evaporated, about 30 minutes.

Sandwich:

Loosemeat

4 hamburger buns I used whole-wheat buns

fresh onion, chopped

prepared yellow mustard

pickles

Spoon beef into buns and serve immediately with condiments. Be sure to give everyone a spoon so they can scoop up any stray beef that escapes.

Yield: 4 sandwiches

False

RE: Need Recipe for Loose Meat

Posted by: estherw Posted on: 12/30/2004 7:18:09 PM

#R4948932

There is a place that has been serving these loose meat sandwiches for 50 some years and they are yummy! Here is the recipe. They serve them on small hamburger buns with 2 dill pickle slices and a bit of mustard.

Tastee Original Recipe

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

5 pounds ground beef
    4 ounces ketchup
    3 heaping teaspoon mustard
    3 heaping teaspoon cream style horseradish
    3 teaspoons worcestershire
    salt & pepper to taste

The above ungredients except hamburger should fill one cup. If not add more ketchup and stir thoroughly. Place 5 lbs. ground beef in flat bottom aluminum kettle. Pour seasoning on top of beef. Fill 8 oz. cup full of water and rinse seasoning cup. pour into beef mixture. Fill one cup with finely ground onion. Put into ground beef and add 1 teaspoon of accent. Stir all ingredients in kettle with wooden spoon. Cook over low flame, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Increase the heat until mixture comes to a boil. Let boil for 25 minutes. Turn down and finish cooking for two hours.

=============================

False

RE: 'Loose Meat' Sandwiches, anyone ever have one?
    Posted by: dutchmom4 Posted on: 12/3/2005 9:34:55 AM
    #R6806032

RE: Need Recipe for Loose Meat
    Posted by: MissEllie Posted on: 12/30/2004 11:58:31 AM
    #R4946014

Faux Maid-Rite

1 lb. Ground Beef
    1 tsp. ground pepper
    1 tsp. sugar
    2 tsp. prepared mustard
    6 oz. beer, water or beef broth
    salt (to taste)

Combine ground beef, pepper, sugar, mustard, salt in the top of a double-boiler and add beer or other liquid. Cover top and heat for one-half hour, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the more the flavors blend together. Toward the end, uncover to allow some of the liquid to boil off.

Use a slotted serving spoon to serve on hamburger buns with mustard, dill pickles and chopped onion. Serves 6.

Notes: Use prepared yellow salad mustard, such as that for hamburgers or hot dogs. Do not use dry powdered mustard, or a Dijoni or Poupon style mustard. Use a good quality, low fat ground beef. A genuine Maid Rite is steam cooked and is very finely ground beef.

My note: I don't use a double boiler; just a regular saucepan and let the liquid cook out. I like to use beef broth.

False

Posted by: HDMac Replies: 13 Posted on: 5/25/2004 10:23:06 AM
    #T356976

The Blue Mill Tavern Loosemeat Sandwich

1 lb of real good ground chuck or ground beef round or ground sirloin
    1 tablespoon fat like lard or Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)
    2 teaspoons salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of your skillet
    1 onion, chopped fine
    1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    water, to cover
    salt and pepper, to taste

1. Get out a cast iron skillet-they are the best for loosemeats-or other kind if you have no iron skillet.
    2. Meltfat over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of skillet.
    3. Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon-this is very important-the meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.
    4. Add chopped onion while browning meat.
    5. Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat.
    6. When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet.
    7. Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan.
    8. Cook, at a simmer, till water is all cooked out-between 15-20 minutes.
    9. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
    10. Heat your hamburger buns-they're traditionally steamed for loosemeats-I like mine toasted lightly-do it the way you like it.
    11. When buns are warm, put yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices-I put on lots!
    12. *Ifyou start changing this recipe and using things like olive oil for the fat and dijon or honey mustard for the yellow mustard, you will not get the traditional yummy taste of a loosemeat sandwich.
    13. Likewise, don't add any liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce.
    14. Make them just like this the first time so you can sample the simplicity of this famous Midwestern treat.
    15. If you want to start making changes after that by all means do so but I'd like you to taste the original recipe at least once.
    16. Serve with homemade potato salad and chips.

False

RE: Maid- Rites
    Posted by: cinnamama Posted on: 2/9/2004 7:29:10 AM
    #R3017267

This is the only one I use and it tastes just like the maidrites served in Iowa.

Maidrites

1 lb. ground beef
    1 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. sugar
    2 tsp. mustard
    6 oz. beef broth
    salt

Combine beef, pepper, sugar, mustard and salt in a double boiler and add broth. Cover top and heat for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally. Toward the end uncover and allow some liquid to boil off. (A genuine Maidrite is steam cooked).

False

Loose Meat Hamburgers...It reminds me of the show "Roseanne"  she and her sister Jackie opened a restaurant and their speciality was loose meat sandwiches.  they opened a restaurant called the, Lunchbox....I think the shows setting was Michigan..right in your neck of the woods.  I remember when they were trying to perfect the recipe of a competitor...I have to admit...they did look good when they were eating them....Smile

Twila

False

Photobucket

Posted by: bebeblues Posted on: 1/27/2003 8:23:56 PM
    #R1064445

Maid Rite Loosemeat Sandwiches

1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound ground chuck
    1/2 Cup tomato juice
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp. Kitchen bouquet
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in oil until it begins to brown. Add onion and saute until soft. Add meat, stirring constantly with a fork to crumble as finely as possible. When meat is brown, add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the liquid cooks out (about 15-20 minutes). Spoon onto hamburger buns.

False

RE: WHAT is a Maidrite Sandwich??
    Posted by: SaraWI Posted on: 5/25/2005 4:02:19 PM
    #R5774112

Rachel Ray has a recipe that I follow, it's the closest to the original that I've had. It's called loose meat sandwich. No tomato product whatsoever is in a Maidrite sandwich.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
    1 1/4 pounds ground sirloin
    1 cup chicken stock, eyeball it, 1/2 a 14-ounce can or box
    1 teaspoon sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper
    4 burger buns, spilt, or kaiser rolls, split
    1/2 yellow skinned onion, finely chopped

Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and meat to the pan and brown the meat, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add chicken stock to the meat. Season the meat with paprika, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. When the liquid comes to a bubble, reduce heat to simmer. Cook meat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pile meat into buns or rolls and top with raw finely chopped onions.

False

RE: WHAT is a Maidrite Sandwich??
    Posted by: tizzlish Posted on: 5/25/2005 4:18:03 PM
    #R5774235

Here's another recipe that I'm bringing camping this weekend.

Original Maid-Rites

1 pound ground beef
    2 tablespoons vinegar (not white)
    1 tablespoon instant minced onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    11/2 cups Swanson’s chicken broth, boiling
    2 tablespoons prepared ketchup
    2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    8 hamburger buns

Brown meat lightly; drain fat. Add vinegar, onion, salt, ketchup and mustard. Stir well. Add boiling broth. Cover and simmer until meat is tender and liquid is absorbed. Serve on hamburger buns with fresh chopped onions and mustard only.

False

RE: Made rites
    Posted by: Kaci0 Posted on: 7/29/2006 2:02:53 PM
    #R7878933

Top Secret Recipes version of Maid-Rite® Loose Meat Sandwich
    by Todd Wilbur

It's been an Iowa tradition since 1926, and one of our longtime requested items here at TSR. Although the sandwich is not much more than a traditional hamburger with the ground beef arranged uncompressed on a white bun, the product has a huge cult following. And since the meat is loose, the sandwich is served with a spoon for scooping up the ground beef that will inevitably fall out.  When this clone recipe for Maid-Rite was originally posted on the site several years ago, it elicited more E-mail than any recipe in the site's history.

Numerous Midwesterns were keyboard-ready to insist that the clone was far from accurate without the inclusion of a few bizarre ingredients, the most common of which was Cola-Cola. One letter states: "You evidently have not ever had a Maid-Rite. The secret to the Maid-Rite is coke syrup. Without it you cannot come close to the taste" Another E-mail reads: "Having lived in the Midwest all of my life and knowing not only the owners of a Maid-Rite restaurant, but also many people who worked there, I can tell you that one of the things you left out of your recipe is Coca-Cola. Not a lot, just enough to keep the meat moist."

On the flip side, I received comments such as this one from an Iowa fan who lived near Don Taylor's original Maid-Rite franchise: "The secret to the best Maid-Rite is the whole beef. Don had a butcher shop in his basement where he cut and ground all his beef. Some people still swear they added seasonings, but that is just not true. Not even pepper."

Back in the underground lab, no matter how hard I examined the meat in the original product -- which I had shipped in dry ice directly from Don Taylor's original store in Marshalltown, Iowa -- I could not detect Coca-Cola. There's no sweetness to the meat at all, although the buns themselves seem to include sugar (when the buns are chewed with the meat, the sandwich the sandwich does taste mildly sweet). I finally concluded that Coca-Cola syrup is not part of the recipe.

If it is added to the meat in the Maid-Rite stores, it's an insignificant amount that does not have any noticeable effect in the flavor.

Also the texture is important, so adding more liquid to the simmering meat is crucial. This recipe requires a cup of water in addition to 1/4 cup of beef broth. By simmering the ground beef in this liquid for an hour or so, we'll break down the collagen in the meat. This makes the final product tender, just like the real thing.

Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun; add your choice of mustard, onions, and pickle; ready a spoon, and dig in. Adding ketchup is up to you, although it's not an ingredient found in Maid-Rite stores. Many say that back in the early days, "hobos" would swipe ketchup and mix it with water to make tomato soup. Free ketchup was nixed from the restaurants way back then, and the custom has been in place ever since.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat is best)
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup beef broth
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 plain hamburger buns
    yellow mustard
    minced white onion
    dill pickle slices

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Use a potato masher to help get the ground beef into small pieces. Drain any excess fat.  If you use lean meat (15% fat or less) you won't need to drain the fat. As soon as all the pink in the meat is gone, add 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup beef broth plus 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer the meat uncovered for one hour or until all the liquid is gone, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

2. Build each sandwich by pressing the hot ground beef into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun. Add mustard on the top bun, along with pickles and minced onion if desired. Put the sandwich, and heat it up in your microwave oven for 10 to 15 seconds to warm the buns. Serve with a spoon as they do in the restaurants.

Makes 4 sandwiches.

False

Aren't you glad you asked?!  Surprise

False
    I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.
    Bill Cosby

The first thing I thought of when I read "loose hamburger" was Coney Island loose hamburger.  Here is what I found.....NOT tried or true.Like Cincinnati’s five-way-chili, Philly’s cheesesteak, and Chicago’s deep-dish pizza, Detroit has its own local signature junk food of the gods: the Coney Island chili hot dog and loose meat chili-burger. In fact, there are hundreds of Coney Island hot dog restaurants in Michigan, and they all originated from 2 side-by-side restaurants on downtown Detroit’s Lafayette Street, founded by the Greek immigrant Keros brothers right after World War I. The American and Lafayette Coney Island restaurants are still going strong 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

I’ve lived away from Michigan for more than half of my life, but still get nagging cravings for coneys. I’ve tried to replicate them on my own stove via a variety of recipes, but haven’t been able to discover that secret Keros family ingredient that’s part of the chili. Recently I came fairly close.
    Take one pound of ground hamburger meat and freeze it. After an hour, re-grind the burger in a food processor or in an old-fashioned meat grinder. Step2Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan. Add ½ cup of chopped yellow onions and brown the onions. Add the ground meat and brown with the onions. Step3Add spices, including 1 minced garlic clove, 3 tablespoons of chili powder, ½ teaspoon of cumin, ½ teaspoon of oregano, and a pinch of cinnamon. Step4Add ¼ cup of water and bring the chili to a boil. Simmer the chili for 30-45 minutes, or until the water has evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Step5For Coney Dogs, put the chili in a separate container, and wipe the pan dry. Put 8 (give or take) hot dogs in the pan and cook until the skin is lightly crisp. Place the dogs in their buns. I eat my Coney Dogs without raw onions on top, and then I add a stripe of classic yellow mustard on top the chili  

False