Need recipe for sugar-free bread and butter pickles | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need recipe for sugar-free bread and butter pickles

Last post Jan 29, 2009 10:56 PM by scheij . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Need recipe for sugar-free bread and butter pickles

I'm looking for a recipe for sugar-free or low sugar bread and butter pickles. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

False
  • Re: Need recipe for sugar-free bread and butter pickles

This recipe has sugar in the applejuice but no extra added sugar.

SUGAR FREE BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES 
    1 gal. cucumbers, sliced thin
    8 white onions, sliced thin
    2 green peppers, chopped
    2 red peppers, chopped
    1/4 c. canning salt
    2 c. apple juice concentrate
    2 c. water
    2 c. lemon juice
    2 tbsp. celery seed
    Lightly toss cucumber, onions and peppers with salt; let stand with the salt on them for 3 hours in a cool place. Now dissolve the apple juice concentrate in the water. Add lemon juice, and celery seed, boil 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in your sliced, salted vegetables and bring just to the boiling point. Pack into hot jars seal and water bath 5 minutes.
    False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

Here's the Splenda Version...

Sugar-Free Bread and Butter Pickles

• 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
    • 2 small sweet onions, thinly sliced
    • 3/4 cup Splenda, sugar substitute
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
    • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
    • 1/2 cup vinegar

1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine all ingredients. (Pour vinegar over last).
    2. Microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes. Stir.
    3. Cook for 3-4 minutes longer, until bubbly and cucumber and onions are crisp-tender.
    4. Cover with Plastic wrap.
    5. Cool on a rack.
    6. When cool, put in refrigerator and let sit overnight. (Garden cucumbers without wax are best).
    False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

I have a wonderful recipe for bread that does not contain sugar or fat.  I make the dough in my bread making machine but bake it in the oven.

1-1/2 cups water at about 105 degrees

4 cups bread flour

1-1/2 tsp salt

2-1/2 tsp dry yeast

Put water into bread machine and add half of the flour.  Add the salt and then the rest of the flour.  Put yeast on top.  I leave it in the bread machine for one hour and 20 minutes until it is ready to put onto jelly roll pan.  I spray the pan with pam and sprinkle about a tbsp of cornmeal over pan.  Shape the loaf into a large french bread shape.  Put a few slits on top 1/4 inch deep and brush on a little cold water.  Cover and let rise for an hour.  Brush a little egg white over top of it and bake for 30 minutes at 350.  This bread is better eaten the first day because there is no fat, but it makes wonderful french toast.

False

Yummy pickles

Slice english cucumbers into chips.  Add thinly sliced onions.  Place in a container that you can seal.

In a small pot combine 3 cups vinegar, 1 and a half cups splenda, teaspoon of mustard seed, teaspoon of celery seed, three teaspoons of pickling spice, teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.  Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and pour over pickles and onions until covered.  Refridgerate for at least a day or two.

Yummy!  Enjoy!

False