How do you Remove Cigarette Smoke Film From Walls? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you Remove Cigarette Smoke Film From Walls?

Last post Jun 11, 2004 1:22 PM by Battie . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • How do you Remove Cigarette Smoke Film From Walls?
    I am once again looking to my wise bulletin board friends for help! I rented a house to a heavy smoker, and now the walls have a heavy smoke residue on them. Any advice on a quick, easy way to clean these (other than repainting)?
    False
  • RE: How do you Remove Cigarette Smoke Film From Walls?
    I clean houses and I use Greased Lighting.Lisa
    False
    when we bought our home there was so much smoke residue on the walls that we had to wash them down before we painted...the paint would not stick...it was horrible...
    False
    i used that green stuff but cant think of the name of it...sorry
    False
    One of the best wall cleaners you can buy is called TSP/90 Heavy duty cleaner, which sells at most True Value hardware stores. You only use 1 -2 tablespoons per gallon water. You wipe the wall with the solution, then wipe dry. You are not going to believe how this stuff cleans!!!

When I moved in this house, I had to clean heavy smoke film, film from where a heater damaged the walls with black smoke....It was amazing how TSP/90 cleaned those walls. Once you use the stuff you won't ever want to be without it. I cleaned the paneling in the house, all the wood work and everything cleaned up great!

I sound like a commerical for TSP/90....it is just awsome stuff! LOL

Mary

False
    The "recipe" I use is great. This fizzes up when mixed.
    1/4c Baking soda
    1c ammonia
    1/2c white vinigar
    ~~~~mix with 1 gal. warm water. Be prepared to change the water ALOT!
    Dee
    False
    The green stuff I think you mentioned is "simple green" it works wonders! Also try some vinegar and water, vinegar cuts throught cigarette stains pretty good!!!
    False
    HI there, I AM a smoker, but I had a baby 14 months ago..and 3 months before he was born I vowed to smoke outside, and not in my car. But that left the problem of the smoke that lingered in the house from smoking in it before he was born. I used bleach water to get it off the walls. It worked wonders...just dont over do the bleach..and the new airspray odor removers will help get the smell out of the house also. leave the windows open for a day or two also. and you should be doing fine after that.
    False
    Hi,

If you can find it in your area, there is a product called Clear Magic.. It is the best multi purose cleaner in my opinion, and I've tried alot, including that simple green, but always go back to Clear Magic. It's cold water activated, so you dont need hot water, its non toxic and biodegradable. Walgreen's carries it, and in some places you will find it in the automotive section lol.. That's where we first found it, probally because the maker makes Blue Coral Car Products.

It's concentrated so you dilute as needed.. Great stuff!!

My husband used to smoke and I always used this stuff to wash the walls/wallpaper etc.
    False
    I am a smoker and I rent; we have a yearly inspection and the house has to be sppotless so i use to use vinager & water, but this year i borrowed my in-laws steam buggy and steamed the walls. It worked wonders and was sooooo quick; just have an extra person with a towel to catch the drips of eewweey gooey stuff that will come dripping down.

Battie
    False
    Like a death at a birthday party, you ruin all the fun... Like a sucked and spat out smartie, youre no use to anyone. John Cooper Clark