How Do You Get Rid Of The Dirt Flavor In Catfish? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Do You Get Rid Of The Dirt Flavor In Catfish?

Last post Sep 09, 2012 9:26 PM by miakat . 29 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 12
  • How Do You Get Rid Of The Dirt Flavor In Catfish?

I've eaten catfish twice and have tasted a flavor like I was eating dirt each time I've had catfish. I Googled this issue and they say it is from some algae the fish eats. One person suggested soaking the fish in buttermilk for 1 hour before cooking but another person said they tried it and it didn't work.

What do you do to remove that dirt taste?

TIA,

chefly

False
  • Re: How Do You Get Rid Of The Dirt Flavor In Catfish?

I was told this by a restaurant chef a very long time ago.......  ask whether the catfish is mud bottom or rock bottom. Also, be sure the "mud vein" has been removed.

False

I love catfish and have never noticed the dirt flavor. i wonder if I just have dull taste buds?

False

trailmom, what do I do at the grocery store?

chefly

False

As for the which bottom, the fish guy should know. Also, he should have already removed the mud vein.  I think if they are farm raised, they should be rock bottom.

False

Thanks trailmom.

I hope that helps. I would like to be able to eat catfish. Tilapia was also reported to sometimes have the dirt flavor and I have only tasted it once in tilapia.

chefly

False

One other thing...  could the fish be "old?"

False

OMG! This makes me want to LOL....really -- my grandson and I catfish the heck out of "mud flats" (even bought a boat just for fishing) in our nearest lake..... we LOVE catfish......ours are from a 'man made' lake - dirt? The last time I heard that? I was transplanted to the Detroit area! *smiles* -- I guess it's region? or location/location? loool

Photobucket

False

Photobucket

It might well be... but I can tell when they are mud or rock bottom. there is a very distinct flavor difference.

False

trailmom, No the fish wasn't old.

LC, Maybe if you were raised on that flavor it doesn't taste odd. For me, it was like taking a spoonful of dirt and sprinkling it on top of the fish and then eating it.

I"m not that far from Detroit, only one state down. Lol!

chefly

False

LOL!!!  I guess is just a Southern Thang!  I was raised on catfish and have never tasted a dirt flavor in them!!  Maybe our fried catfish are just better here.  Heck, we have lots of restaurants that serve just catfish "all you can eat" served with hushpuppies, fries, and slaw - and they always have a line waiting outside the door.

False

Chefly -- I meant no disrespect (I hope you know that)! It just made me grin...I want to say something to Jane I think you'll get a real kick out of.......a few years ago I was in your area -- we went to a moderate upscale area to eat......you get this "dry lander" around THAT much water and fresh fish -- I promise  you I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. When I ordered? You would have thought I'd branshed a gun to hold up the place...all I ask for was catfish. *giggles* What was "the" thing to oder? Perch *gasp* That's thow away fish around here......what a hoot!

Photobucket

False

Photobucket

Chefly - I'm with you on the dirt flavor!

I will ONLY eat farm-raised catfish, and I am still VERY picky about that.  I'm originally from the Detroit area and in my mind was raised to believe that catfish was similar to carp - bottom feeders - don't eat them!!

Moved south (was a neighbor of Depo's and never new it!) and everyone eats it.  Finally found ONE restaurant I would eat it from then moved to another southern state.  Found ONE restaurant here that I will only eat it from.  DH & DS will catch it and cook it for themselves --- but no thanks, I'll pass unless we go to that ONE restaurant.  If I get the least little taste of "dirt", I'm done!  It has happened a couple of times at my favorite restaurant.

Also.....my mom & dad come to visit and love to go to the catfish restaurant(s) because they have a hard time finding good catfish when they go out to eat (they are in Detroit area and Northern MI area). Will not fish for it because it doesn't taste the same to them either.

Suziee

False

Hi chefly!

I love catfish, but we only eat the smaller ones. The bigger ones do have a tendency to have a 'taste'..

Sometimes in a restaurant, they will offer filets or on the bone. I LOVE them fried on the bone. It takes care in eating them but they are SO much better-IMO...We also like them with lots of seasoning and our favorite is cajun seasoning and a bold tartar sauce.

Many years ago we started raising catfish in our pond. There is nothing and I mean nothing-better than freshly caught catfish!  Last year we had the kids camping at the pond and catching them all night long. They fished for two weekends to thin them out and filled the traps twice...talk about a catfish fry! I wish you could have been here to enjoy with us.

LC, you bad girl...perch aren't too bad but I sure pass on crappe.

chefly, don't give up finding a way to enjoy catfish!

Linda

False

Suziee (cute spelling) after the way people looked at me that night (still have to grin) when I was waiting at the air port I just ask this man that started talking to me about the catfish thing there....he was from the south and told me that it was just not fit to eat around there, if you could find it, with all those lakes vast amounts of water I would never have thought that!

My dad-raised catfish at his home for our personal use -- would feed them Purina Cat Fish Chow. lol Spring fed pond -- I can still just taste his wonderful catfish....I now take my grandson to the lake a few minutes from us...they have a spot there that's known as 'mud flats' that catfish just rule. At this part of the lake there is a big currant -- that could very well be why they don't have the flavor you all are talking about -- I've never noticed any flavor of 'dirt' *gag me* in any of the fish.BUT....I will also tell you they aren't on the bottom come the end of March -- our weather is just to hot -- the water there isn't deep and gets very warm...you have me really thinking about this now...I may notice it and never eat catfish again -- no..that just can't happen! lol Spring break is near...he and I are headed for Arkansas for a few days...we are fishing for fresh trout there!

Photobucket

False

Photobucket