Crushed strawberry question? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Crushed strawberry question?

Last post Mar 06, 2009 1:47 AM by minestrone . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Crushed strawberry question?

I have a recipe that calls for 2 cups of fresh crushed strawberries. First of all what do you do to crush strawberries? That might sound dumb but I have never done it so I would like the easiest way to turn my whole fresh strawberries into crushed. Secondly I am wondering how many pounds of strawberries equals 2 cups. Cannot seem to find an answer to this on the net. Any help is appreciated.

False
  • Re: Crushed strawberry question?

Minestrone - leave your strawberries out to get to room temp and (after removing the stems or greenery) crush them with your hands or put them in a big bowl and mash them with a fork. I use my hands so that I can feel the consistancy and know if I've left big chunks or not. Usually 1 pound will yield around two cups. Most strawberries in the grocery stores are sold in 1 pound plastic containers.

Now, after all of this, you should post that yummy recipe for us to see and taste!!!

Have a great day!

Shannon

False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

I use a potato masher.  The kind with the back and forth loops.   Works very well, and is not messy.   Any potato masher would work though.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

I always crush strawberries with a potato masher..Just put berries in large bowl & mash away!

False

I have always crushed my strawberries with a potato masher also.

Quickest and easiset way!

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

I appreciate your feedback. The votes are in for the potato masher. Thanks to all for your help.

This is the recipe I found and am going to try.

Fresh Strawberry Upside Down Cake

2 cups crushed fresh strawberries

1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin mix

3 cups miniature marshmallows

1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared as directed on package

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Spread crushed strawberries on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Evenly sprinkle strawberries with the dry gelatin powder, and top with mini marshmallows.

Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package, and pour on top of the marshmallows.

Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides, and turn the cake out onto a serving tray. Store cake in the refrigerator.

False