ISO St. Joseph's Table recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO St. Joseph's Table recipes

Last post Mar 17, 2009 12:06 PM by WhateverNYa . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • ISO St. Joseph's Table recipes

Our church is having a St. Joseph's Table and I was wondering if anyone had been to one before and could give me some ideas on what to take.  We're having a dish-to-pass supper too and I thought I would make a cheesy tuna pasta.  I've made some Italian cookies, but would like to take something else that's typical for a St. Joseph's Table.  I already know someone is bringing cream puffs and pizelles.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Barb

False
  • Re: ISO St. Joseph's Table recipes

Hi Barb ~ I have never heard of this, but this looks like a good link:

http://www.chiff.com/a/st-josephs-day.htm

Hope that helps...

False

This might be good too:

http://buffalolore.buffalonet.org/stjoseph/stjoseph.htm

False

Interesting from the second site:

The Table is a meal so the food that is served is an important component. The meal served is vegetarian: First, the feast of St. Joseph occurs during Lent which is a time of fasting, of no meat. Second it is the end of winter, the beginning of spring. In earlier times, March was a time of scarcity in Sicily. The food stored from the previous harvest was almost gone. Dried fish and new greens from the fields were the base for the Table. One woman said that when she was growing up in Sicily 30 years ago meat was a rarity. It was served at most only two or three times a year. When local people were questioned if they'd ever seen meat on a Table the response was "NO! You never serve meat at a Table. It is always vegetarian." Even though the rules of fast and abstinence are much more lenient today, Sicilian-Americans hold the tradition as they learned from their parents and grandparents with little, if any, change. The meatless meal then continues out of tradition not because of seasonal or economic necessity.

False

Our church is also having a St. Joseph's Table, and everyone bring a dish to pass.   I am making a Pierogi casserole (it's meatless, but not Ital.)  Last year I brought a Rum Cake and Broccoli salad.   Quite a few brought salads,   spaghetti (meatless sauce), or  salmon. I would think your cheesy tuna pasta would be good.

False

LOL---I thought you wanted a recipe for baby asprin! :)

False

Barb, I'd love to have your recipe for the Cheesy Tuna Pasta, if you'd share?

Thanks!

Star

False

Sfinge di San Giuseppe (St. Joseph's Cream Puffs)

(for the feast day of St. Joseph, husband of Virgin Mary, March 19)

Sfinge:
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup sifted flour
    4 large eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon Cognac or vanilla extract

Filling:
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/3 cup grated dark chocolate
    2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios

Garnish:
    Powdered sugar
    Lemon rind

Put water, butter, granulated sugar, lemon rind and salt into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, and as soon as the butter has melted, remove from heat. Add the flour all at once, stirring constantly and with vigor.

Return the pan to the heat, and stir constantly until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the pan. Cook just a little longer, until you hear a slight crackling, frying sound. Remove the pan from the heat, and cool slightly.

Add the eggs, one at a time. Be sure that each egg is thoroughly blended into the mixture before you add the next. Stir until smooth and thoroughly blended . Add the Cognac or vanilla. Cover the dough and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonsful on a buttered cookie sheet or onto parchment-lined sheet (better!), leaving 2 inches between the sfinge. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

Filling: Mix the ricotta, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, chocolate, and pistachios. Just before serving (so they don't get soggy!), cut off the tops of the sfinge and fill; place top back on after filling. Arrange on platter, sprinkle with powdered sugar to make them pretty, and garnish platter with lemon rind.

Source: recipegoldmine.com

False
    Edited to remove duplicate post.
    False

Our homeschool group is doing a St. Joseph's Table this year - last year was our first time.  The organizers will be serving spaghetti with marinara, with cream puffs for dessert, and other families are signing up to bring other vegetarian main dishes, sides/salads, and desserts.

I am planning to make spaghetti with spinach and garlic.  I am also bringing pecan cookies using this recipe - http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=1206.

Several families are bringing breads in traditional shapes for the table - instructions for making some shapes are at http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=1201.

Jen

False

That's funny Shellks!!!  Nope, I don't need any asprin recipes.  LOL

Thank you all for your recipes and suggestions.  I made the Cheesy Tuna Casserole and of course, made enough for the whole church.  There was just a little bit left, so guess everyone liked it.  I also made some Italian cookies (a recipe that my Italian MIL gave me years ago).

Star, it's nothing more than a tuna casserole, basically.  I cooked a box of elbow macroni & let it cook while I chopped green peppers & sliced mushrooms.  Sauted those in butter & added to about 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup diluted w/ a little milk.  To that I added about 3/4 of an 8 oz. block of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.  Pour it into a greased casserole, topped it with some french fried onions that come in the can & baked at 350 for about 45 mins. or until bubbly.

It's easy, but there's lots of pans to wash Sad  Worth it though!

Barb

False