Graduation Party menu.....help | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Graduation Party menu.....help

Last post Apr 26, 2010 3:06 PM by Feedmill_Princess__KS . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Graduation Party menu.....help

Hello everyone,

There are a bunch of great recipes and ideas on this forum.  My son is graduating from high school in May.  There are so many parties and all the food seems the same.  I was looking for some good recipes that are different from the usual fare.  Any help would be appreciated.

Deb

False
  • Re: Graduation Party menu.....help

FOR MY DAUGHTERS GRADUATION PARTY WE DID A HUGE PARTY. I HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH SERVING DIFFERANT FOODS AT A PARTY I FOUND AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO FEED 250 PEOPLE. GET A FAMILY SIZE PKG OF LEGS AND THIGHS (DEPENDING ON HOW MANY YOU HAVE YOU MAY NEED MORE) ANYWAY...GET THE BIG ALUMINUM ROASTER PANS (LOOKS NICE AND EASY CLEAN UP) PUT THE CHICKEN IN THERE SOME MAY OVER LAP A BIT (I GET MY CHICKEN FROM SAMS CLUB ABOUT 6$ A PKG) SPRINKLE SEASON SALT AND ONION POWDER ON ALL CHICKEN, POUR A CAN OF CRUSHED PINEAPPLE AND A BOTTLE OF MCCORMICKS TERRIYAKI SAUCE LET SIT FOR AN HOUR AND COOK AT 375 FOR ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF. I HAVE MADE HOME MADE HOMEMADE TERRIYAKI FOR MY CHJICKEN BUT WITH A BIG GATHERING DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GO EASY. BESIDES PEOPLE LOVE EASY SIMPLE HOME COOKING. I ALSO BOUT A COUPLE HOLE SPIRAL HAMS AND FRUITED THEM...PINEAPPLE, MANDARINE ORANGES, CHERRIES, AND A BIT OF HONEY IN A BLENDER POUR OVER HAM AND COOK TILL WARM....EVERYONE JUST RAVED OVER THE MENU....PULLED PORK WORKS GREAT AND ALTHOUGH TIMELY TO MAKE VERY INEXPENSIVE. I MAKE NORTH CAROLINA PULLED PORK RECIPE ON ALRECIPES.COM  ...I COOK IN CROCK POT OVER NIGHT SO I SLLEP WHILE WORKING SO HARD LOL....I DO NOT GRILL AND EVERYONE RAVES OVER THE FLAVOR....

GOOD LUCK MARIA

MARIA71267@ATLANTICBB.NET

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME 

False

Hey thanks Maria, you have some very good recipes.  Pulled Pork sandwiches was one of the things I was thinking about making.  Now I have some more ideas.  YUM!!

Deb

False

I make these at Christmas and everyone goes back for more.  I use all skinless, boneless chicken breasts.  The recipe says it makes 12, but I always get more out of it.  And when I double the recipe, I can send chicken home with guests.  Any leftovers also make a great base for chicken soup.

Subject: Recipe: TNT Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches
    Posted by: kate_marie2 Replies: 20 Posted on: 7/7/2005 6:14:17 PM
    #T539494
    These (IMHO) are about the best sandwiches ever. I make them for almost all of our family potlucks, and when I don't bring them, someone is always looking for them. I threw them in the slow cooker this morning before work.... YUMMY !!!! Can't wait to bite into these while I watch BIG BROTHER....

Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches
    -4 bone in chicken thighs
    -4 bone in chicken breasts
    -1 envelope onion soup mix
    -1/4 tsp garlic salt
    -1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
    -1/4 cup water
    -12 hamburger buns

-Place chicken pieces in crockpot.(You can remove the skin..I ALWAYS do)
    -Sprinkle the garlic salt and onion soup mix over the chicken.
    -Pour salad dressing and water over the chicken.
    -Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours
    -Remove chicken and cool slightly
    -Shred chicken from the bones,and return to crock pot
    -Serve on hamburger buns

*Note: I leave these in longer than 8 hours when I am working and they turn out fine.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

My daughter is also graduating from high school this year (June) and my mom and I are going to make cold cut platters. Spinach Dip with bread, Hummus / pita and vegetables trays... I don't know what all else, but I know I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

False
    Marcie Check out my Recipe Blog: http://www.missmousesrecipes.blogspot.com/ It's about LOVE, not gender ♀♀ = Love ♂♂ = Love ♀♂ = Love

I hosted a graduation party last year. I had part of it catared because it was easier with all the other work needed done.

I made a huge layered cake( I use to be a professional baker), which was the centerpiece on the one table. I had ordered chicken already cooked for 100 people, 100 plate order of potato salad, 2 plates of variety of cookies,rolls, a large serving vegetable tray and a cut up fruit tray. I had a family member make a roaster of bbq beans. I  had a friend the morning of the party help me set up the tables and chairs and decorations. She helped put green beans, corn, in slowcookers for me. I made a sweet potato dish in one of ths slow cookers. Family picked up the chicken, potato salad, and cookies for me the morning of the party.  I had picked up  the day ahead of time the vegetable tray, rolls, and fruit trays.  I had other helpful hands help place the chicken in the roasters, we used under the bed storage containers and filled them with ice, all the potato salad in bowls, and other cold dishes could go in bowls and sit down in the ice(I opened it up to covered dishes to be brought by guests because of the crowd and many told me what they were fixing). The ice was routinelly changed but things stayed cold. Cookies were placed more on nice serving dishes. I had made other cookies and candies I could keep in the refrigerator and they were placed out too on the nice serving trays. I had bought some little flavored muffins too and they were placed out. Pop in coolers, a huge thermos of water, and a huge urn of coffee. I had graduation mints for people to grab on the table of paper plates.  I had made freezer slaw also so we had a cole slaw to go with the items. A family member had made jello salads.It was enjoyed by many. Everyone complemented everything and enjoyed the food too. It took a lot of work and I was glad I had ordered somethings. Because the  big day being up at the crack of dawn still arranging things took still a lot of work, even with working weeks ahead of time. The day of the party, with all the work, I was getting freshly dressed from all the work,when guests started to arrive. Plus I couldn't have even done it if I didn't have some family and friends chip in with the work. Remember all the work you put into it,you want to have time to visit with your guests. With how I did it and the help of family I was able to sit around and not have to keep making food, the food was done and I could sit and savor the treasured moment.

False

Hi,

Thanks for the help and tips.  My party will busy,  it's on the same day as graduation and we have a bunch of out of town guests.  Our nephew graduates June 6, which made us decide to have the party on the same day also.  I will probably ask for help from my Mom.  I want to visit with my guests too.

Deb

False

Barbecued Beef Sandwiches

2 beef briskets, trimmed (about 12 pounds)
    6 cups barbecue sauce
    3 cups diced onions
    2 cups water
    40 to 50 hamburger buns

Place meat in a large cooking bag. Combine sauce, onions and water; pour over meat.
    Bakehttp://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com" --> at 325° F for 4 - 4 1/2 hours or until fork tender. Remove meat from juices; cool. Skim fat from juices. Thinly slice meat; return to pan and heat in juice. Serve on buns.

Makes 40-50 servings

Make Your Own Tacos

1/4 C. vegetable oil

3 onions, minced

3 lbs. ground beef

6 cloves garlic, minced

3 T. chili powder

2 T. ground cumin

1-1/2 t. salt, or to taste

One 29-oz. can tomato sauce

30 corn taco shells

Condiments:

Sour cream
    Chopped onions or green onions
    Shredded Cheddar cheese
    Shredded iceberg lettuce
    Pico de gallo salsa (see recipe, below)

To http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com" -->make filling: Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat and saute onions until translucent. Heat a second large frying pan over medium heat and add half the ground beef to each, breaking up the meat with the spoon, cooking until no longer pink. Add half the garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt to each. Stir together and cook for a minute. Drain off any extra fat and combine in one pan.

Lower heat and add tomato sauce; mix thoroughly. Cook for another 10 minutes.

To serve: Spoon filling into the taco shells and offer an array of condiments to place on top of the filling.

Servings: 20

Pico De Gallo Salsa

24  ripe tomatoes, diced

2 C. diced onion

3 or 6 jalapeno chiles (or more), seeded and diced, if desired

1 C. chopped fresh cilantro

salt to taste

Combine the tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro and salt.

Servings: 16 cups

Note: This can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Drain off any excess juice from the tomatoes.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/quantity/index.htm

False
    Marie K McConnell

Hi mkmac4,

thanks for the input, your recipes sound delicious!!

Deb Coffee

False
    bump
    False

bump

False
    Marcie Check out my Recipe Blog: http://www.missmousesrecipes.blogspot.com/ It's about LOVE, not gender ♀♀ = Love ♂♂ = Love ♀♂ = Love

I bought a chocolate fountain that was a big hit since everyone has the tradtional bakery cake.

False

Bump!  Graduation is coming soon...keep the ideas coming.  Please.

False

I catered a graduation party last year, and served pulled pork and it was easy and a hit.  I also did a chocolate fountain - but added a second fountain with ranch dressing and veggies.  I've done this several times and it's always a hit.  Don't turn the heat on the ranch dressing fountain!  I'm told you can put barbecue sauce in a fountain - but it may be messy, but good with chicken nuggets.  I've also been told you can put bottled alfredo sauce in it - and serve with pizza rolls and it's great.  In the deep south I'm told you can put gravy in the fountain and serve with tater tots and the party will a huge hit.

I used some butt pork roasts and they were cheap and fed a bunch.  I also had a variety of bread types.  I think I fed well over 100 people - and had about 12 dishes.  Another big hit was a pickle platter! Ha... easy as pie and they loved it.  I was concerned about picky eaters - too.  Another hit was a Banana pudding -- the graduates favorite.  

False

Hi Deb,  I could have tons of  suggestions but  it looks like you have a some great things going already.  I can offer some suggestions.  Consider the time of the year and the  how long your affair will take place.  You may want to swith off some mayonnaise based salads for oil based ones .  And the ones that are Mayonnaise based. Place them in smaller bowls that can be placed on top of larger bowls containing crushed ice ~  Keep left overs chilled and ready to get refilled.  The same goes for dips containing sour cream~  Use your crockpot !  it will be your best friend on that day ~  

Don't over load the serving dishes, refill frequently for freshness.  I just love little cold Tea Sandwiches,  They can be so fancy and elegant and made the night before ~  Select a Beautiful Chilled serving platter.  Another thing  I like to do is, If a platter has a handle on it ~  I tie bows on the handles ~  Baskets look especially pretty done this way as well~    I did a basket of hush puppies like this one time and they went before some of my more exoctic ones~

Presentation  is just as important as the recipe ~  Spend some time thinking about your serving dishes  and platters  and maybe the recipes will fly by ~ and Land ~   Janie ~

Another cute thing is to make cherry ice cubes ~  If you have and old fashioned Ice cube tray ~  Fill it with water ~  Place a Maraschino in each cube and fill ~ and freeze ~  They look so cute ~  This looks pretty in a punch bowl as well.

There is a web site out there that sells very cute and most usual types of picks and  party spears ~  I mean really cute and not so expensive ~  It is on my compter at home but I will surf and see what I can dig up ~   Janie  ~

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.