5 Star Recipe review: Corned Beef | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

5 Star Recipe review: Corned Beef

Last post Mar 20, 2009 2:11 PM by zakons . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • 5 Star Recipe review: Corned Beef

I just had to review this recipe for everyone.....It was FANTASTIC !!!  Everyone in my family loved it, including the grandkids a 2  and 6 years old....Everyone said , don't loose this recipe....It was from a morning TV show.... I am not a super corned beef lover...but....this recipe is one I will forever keep...It was so good... We all think the Coke had something to do with it...was not salty at all......I even went down and bought another corned beef to do the recipe again some day soon.

.................................................................................... 

This was on a morning TV show....DH wants me to try it.

Corned Beef Recipe
    Tony Stallone shares a recipe for corned beef and some thoughts about St. Patrick's Day and the delicious food that goes with it.

corned beef...get a lean corned beef wrapped in plastic bag
    little red potatoes
    baby carrots
    cabbage quartered
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 can soda  (I used Coke)
     1 or 2 tsp. honey ..(is what I used)
    1/2 cup Guldens Spicy Brown mustard or any brown mustard
    • Prepare Corned Beef using instructions on package. Once fork tender remove from water.
    • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
    • In an 8X13" cake pan add a half can of Pepsi, Coke or 7-Up to pan, then put corn beef in pan.
    • Mix 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of Guldens Spicy brown (or any brown or deli mustard) together, spread mixture over top and sides of corned beef.
    •  Chef Note: I like it a little less sweet so I am 1/3 honey to 2/3 mustard. .... ( I used maybe a tsp .or 2  of honey...not too much)
    • Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; remove corned beef, slice and serve.
    While baking the corned beef in oven.....Cook the cabbage, carrots and potatoes in the water from the corned beef on the stove..

Tip:
    I also used a little metal tea strainer to put all the loose seasonings in that came in the corned beef package....I just added the 3 bay leaves separately...

Little red potatoes

St. Patrick's Day coincides with the appearance of what is known in the produce industry as New Potatoes (freshly harvested small red potatoes from Florida). Up until now all the potatoes you have been eating were harvested back in September and October. I absolutely love new potatoes! I am not sure why I am so passionate about them, maybe it is their fresh, sweet flavor (yes, potatoes can be sweet and these are very sweet), or the fact that their skins are so thin and being grown in sandy soil they're so clean that there is no need for peeling. (This is good because most of the vitamins are contained in the skin!) Or maybe it's just that it is another sign that spring has begun!.

False
  • Re: 5 Star Recipe review: Corned Beef

Does sound very good.Thanks for the r n r.

Rosie

False

Hi Zakons,  Is that a misprint on the baking time 20 minutes?? or is it already cooked?  I always thought that it took several hours or many hours in the crockpot? Sounds wonderful and thanks for sharing the R&R ~  Janie Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Janie,it`s simmered till tender.Then baked.

False

now I see it ~  A Misread ~   Thanks Rosie ~  Janie Embarrassed  Guess I had best double up on the carrots next time around ~  Geeked

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Zakon thanks for sharing the recipe and the review

False

Yes, boil as normal then when boiling tje vegetables, coat and then bake the corned beef for 20 minutes...  Very good!!!

False