Recipe ideas for anemia !!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe ideas for anemia !!!

Last post Mar 31, 2009 2:05 PM by MzDee38 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Recipe ideas for anemia !!!

I just got out of the hospital with severe anemia ( red count 32 ) now at 91 but would anyone have any recipe ideas for me .........I am a silly silly girl but would like to find some new ideas if any out there for food

Thanks  

False
  • Re: Recipe ideas for anemia !!!

The only food I have ever heard that supposedly helped with anemia was liver -- and cooking items in cast iron was the best way to go.

I also have anemia that comes and goes.  A few years ago I suddenly developed this raging urge to eat ice (which I had never done when having a soft drink) 24/7.  I hardly cared whether I ate food or not, all I wanted was crushed ice.  By the time my gums had started bleeding from the chewing of the ice, I knew something weird was going on.  I had to get some shots and then started taking iron pills and vitamins, so the problem went away.  I get a blood check-up about twice a year just to make sure those little red cells are still there.

Now you have me curious to see if there are any specific foods that would help the problem.

Janet -- Indiana

False

Lauraine'

outsed of liver I don't know much either. I had anemia once from being totally run down taking care of my invalid husband for over 2 years.

Doctor gave me a shot to stimuate hormones who help replenish iron'red blood cells. Since i don't et much red meat I use iron tablets. Straight iron is hard on your stomach but chelated iron is gentle., I have chronic superficial gastritis and a very sensitive stomach but tolerate the chelated iron without any problems.

Go to "swansonvitamins.com" and look for chelated iron. Swanson is an older, local ND company and their prices are VERY reasonable as is their shipping. No matter how much you buy, wether it is $10.00 or $100.00, shipping is $5.00. My good friends and their daughter, who is a doctor, also get their vitamins there. But please ask your doctor first.

For maintainance I take 18.5 mg p day and have been doing well on that dosage for 3 yrs. You may not get quite enough iron from "iron rich" foods and may need a bit of additional help and periodic bloodwork.

You could Google: iron rich foods and see what comes up.

False

I had to have two blood transfusions and was anemic (sp?) for quite a while and I still get boughts of it when I get worn down.

My Dr. told me to take Iron and multi vitamin, and eat a LOT of meat! (thats not hard for me to do! LOL) also spinach and green veggies are good for you.

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Blackstrap molasses can be used in combination w/ the things already mentioned to boost your iron intake. It's not an ultra rich source of iron, but it wouldn't hurt to add it to your diet.

It needs to be eaten with certain foods to boost its absorption. I know whole grains and nuts help in that area.

deb

False

I did a little research for you and have some ideas, but jeepers... so glad you are ok, and will pray that you continue to heal.  This is very scary stuff -- but it's fixable.  Do we know what the source of the anemia is? 

iron-rich diet
    Eating a diet with iron-rich foods can help treat iron-deficiency anemia. Good sources of iron include the following:

• meats - beef, pork, lamb, liver, and other organ meats
    • poultry - chicken, duck, turkey, liver (especially dark meat)
    • fish - shellfish, including clams, mussels, and oysters, sardines, anchovies
    • leafy greens of the cabbage family, such as broccoli, kale, turnip greens, and collards
    • legumes, such as lima beans and green peas; dry beans and peas, such as pinto beans, black-eyed peas, and canned baked beans
    • yeast-leavened whole-wheat bread and rolls
    • iron-enriched white bread, pasta, rice, and cereals

A good spinache quiche would combine protein plus iron, a 15 bean soup or pea soup would be good too.  An Italian wedding soup wouldn't hurt either.  I also think adding vitamins or an iron supplement may help.  I have bouts of it as well - and one time they put me on pre-natal vitamines -- it messed with my digestive system so bad I was back in the hospital.  I rather feel iron in natural form is easier for some.

Do you like beans, cabbage and spinach -- if so I can post some recipes?

False

Eating something or drinking something with vitamin C will aid in the absorption of iron, so if you have spinach salad put orange segments,  kiwi, pineapple, etc. on top or drink a glass of orange juice with it. Same with all other iron rich foods.

chefly

False

Yes - would love to see your recipes .....thanks for all the info

False

This likely has lots of iron  - with turkey and barley.

Barley Casserole

1/3 cup barley (soak in bowl of water for 3 hours)

1 ¼ - 1/2 pounds ground turkey, browned

Salt and pepper

1 med. onion, cut up

1 cup sliced carrots

1 can French green beans, drained

2 tablespoons molasses

2 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce

1 tablespoon Garlic Kikoman glaze sauce

Directions:

In a 2-quart casserole, mix drained barley, browned turkey and onion, 1 cup carrots, green beans and molasses, mix well.

Add enough water to cover.

Bake at 350 degrees 1 hour covered.

Before serving, add 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, Garlic glaze, & mix. You may have to add more water during baking.  Serve with a salad for a complete meal!

False

I love this recipe...

Spinach & Feta Cheese Quiche

10 ounces of Spinach, frozen, chopped, *
    4 Eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup of cream
    1 1/4 cups of milk
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
    1/4 pound of Feta cheese, crumbled
    3 tablespoons Parmesan or Romano Cheese **

window.google_render_ad();

Contributed  originally FRUGAL GOURMET ~ JEFF SMITH Spinach and Feta Cheese Quiche (Jeff Smith) Salt and pepper to taste Quiche Crust, baked, cooled * defrost spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible; it should be fairly dry. ** cheese is better if fresh-grated. Mix the eggs, cream, and milk. Add the salt and pepper, lemon juice, and parsley. Stir in the spinach and feta cheese. Fill the quiche crust, and place the Parmesan on top. Bake at 375ºF.   for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out dry. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Can also be served at room temperature. Servings: 6

False

I found this, and haven't made it... but durn it looks great!

Title: Easy Italian Wedding Soup
    Yield: 4 Cups

Ingredients

3 cn (14 1/2 ounces each)
          1    fat-free chicken broth
          1 cn (13 1/2 ounces) leaf
               -spinach, well; drained
          8 oz lean ground beef
      1 1/4 c  grated parmesan cheese
          1    1/2 cup seasoned packaged
               -breadcrum; bs
          2 lg eggs
          1    1/2 cup pastina (tiny pasta)

Instructions

In large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, combine chicken broth and spinach.
    Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, in medium bowl,
    combine
    ground beef, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and eggs. Work mixture with
    your hands or a spoon until well blended. Form into small, roughly shaped
    meatballs, using a scant tablespoon meat mixture for each. When broth
    boils,
    stir in pastina and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, then add meatballs
    and stir until soup returns to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and
    simmer 15 minutes, stirring often, until meatballs are cooked through.

Cooking: 26 minutes

Servings: 4 main-course servings or 8 first-course servings

Nutritional Information Per Main-Course Serving: 433 calories; 23 g fat; 10
    g saturated fat; 169 mg cholesterol; 1036 mg sodium; 23 g carbohydrate; 2 g
    fiber; 32 g protein.

Preparation Time: 4 min

False

Yes, yes, yes, to blackstrap molasses.  I use in a cup of milk warmed in the microwave.  Pretty darn good with a splash of cinnamon.  Get it at your health food store. Plantation makes a good one with a good amount of iron and not a whole lot of sugar.

I still struggle with serious anemia and it is hard to eat enough to get it in check. You didn't say what the cause of your anemia is but if it is "gender related" keep in mind that you will have to stay ahead of the game.

If you have a Vitamin World in your neck of the woods, I recommend the iron supplement.   It has iron, folic acid, copper and most importantly vitamin C.

Good luck.  Anemia is a very nasty thing.

False