Recipe for Japanese white sauce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe for Japanese white sauce

Last post Apr 15, 2009 10:25 PM by AlabamaNeeNee . 1 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
  • Recipe for Japanese white sauce

The local Japanese restaurant that we frequent has the most wonderful white sauce for dipping. I can not find it in the grocery store and would love to make it at home. Does anyone have a  recipe they'd like to share. Thanks Big Smile

False
  • Re: Recipe for Japanese white sauce

There's quite a bit of chatter online about this sauce and I found these recipes, which are all similar. The first recipe got several great reviews. I had supper tonight at Stix Japanese Steakhouse and had two small bowls of that wonderful sauce with my meal. It was so good.

Japanese Steakhouse White Sauce

1-1/4 cup mayonnaise*
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon melted butter
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    dash cayenne pepper

Using a fork or a whisk, blend all ingredients together thoroughly until well mixed and the sauce is smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving.

The sauce will NOT taste right if you don't let it sit overnight. And please don't try to substitute ketchup for the tomato paste! The water is needed to bring this to the right consistency.

*Hellmann's or Best Foods brand recommended

Seafood Sauce

1-1/4 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (needs to be Hellmann's, and not low fat or anything)
    1/4 cup water
    2 teaspoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    dash cayenne pepper

The original recipe I found called for less tomato paste, garlic powder, and paprika, but I think this variation puts it closer to the taste of Nakato. Mix all of the ingredients up and refrigerate for a couple of days before first use. This allows the flavors to blend and the color to develop. As far as I can tell, this will keep in the refrigerator for as long as the mayo keeps!

Japanese Steakhouse White Sauce

1-1/4 cup plain mayonnaise
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 to 1 3/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    dash cayenne pepper
    dash white pepper
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Using a wire whisk, blend all listed ingredients together thoroughly until well mixed and the sauce is smooth and creamy in texture. Sauce should have a light pinkish/white appearance. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend properly. Bring to room temperature just before serving.

False